It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them. - Confucius
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Da Vinci Code

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Da Vinci Code
I just finished The DaVinci Code and although it a good book and has some interesting points and views, I have heard a lot about how wrong this book is historically. As our library has banned the book and related topics and I am too lazy to get out and drive to the city library, what do you guys know about what's wrong with this book? I'm open to hearing everything (andd if you think the entire book is screwed up beyond imagination, tell me WHY.)

Thanks

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 36yrs • F •
ProFesSor_X is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
people said that Jesus do not have a wife (which is Mary, show in the artwork of Leonardo Da Vinci) and that they do not have a child together (which is St. Sarah).
The historian think that Mary is one of the follower of Jesus Christ, and that she is first a prostitute, then, after baptis by Jesus (or somthing like that) she became his follower. Then after he dies, she became one of the church leader, spreading his words to people. (I thinlk)

"I am a mystery to people"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"As our library has banned the book and related topics "

That is disgusting.

Unfortunately I can't give any insight on the book other than Ron Howard is making a big movie out of it with Tom Hanks for next year I do believe.

Of which here is a teaser trailer link
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/da_vinci_code/

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
thats a load of crap. the book is meant for entertainment, not a historical record.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I love the book. It makes you think, a lot. And it has a lot of great quotes in it. I personally wasn't reading it for a historical point of view, I read it for entertainment like wyote said. Great book though.

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/faqs.html

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
fidelitygastro is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
the book is an awesome spectacle .

We only have to understand its core aspect to substantially see its potential.
The amount of research and study he hast put in, to bring out this book is awe-inspiring.
whether those facts were true or not, it made the world re-think about christianity.
The pen is mightier than the sword.

36yrs • F •
Entrancing_Kiss is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I love this book!!!!I love the kinda book that makes u think, or has intresting twists. I read this book in May.. Its took me four days to finish it becuase I couldnt put it down. I hate reading books that I cant put down in one day I like to read it over a period of time, in order to comprehend it more and have time to think about it. This book may be historically accurate its actually under debate. the charectors are fictional but the things that the charectors do and the places that the charectors go are real.

""Its not all about what u do, it's how u do it""
 45yrs • M •
Salinger is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I've read half of it....I tried and tried......and...tried.....yawn!

Loved the detail......liked to speculate on its "truth"
-- but I just couldn't get past the story....so I asked around.....and I was told that YES the cop and the art guy do get it together (kinda) in the end.
I can't handle books that have that romantic twist thing going on. In the end....Boy gets girl...girl gets boy.

So then I put the book down, I have never looked back.

Apparently you can buy a book that supplements DC and has all the historical "facts" in it?

""Of men, wealth, laws a solid frame, A place where every wise man goes: GOPLACIA is now my name.""
 19yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that fireflys is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
actually it is based on historical fact. no, there was no person named langdon or girl named sophie that endured a wild adventure through history. that was the entertainment part. the author is a profesor, everything he says about any history or museums or paintings is based on his and many many others' research. he gathered all that after YEARS of studying, interviewing, and traveling the world. now that DOESN't mean the book it true. its based on research; its meerly a theory. its just as real or fake as any religion. its possible, but not sure.

the rumours that you heard about the book being wrong came from churches, profesors, and historians with other theories or views. that doesn't make it correct or incorect. its the opinions of one side verses another verses another......

"Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things."
 48yrs • F •
elenorajane is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Um....I think you can do better than that Sallinger! Yea I know it's a predictable story (boy meets girl) and a non-brainer plot, but just think of it this way: you can concentrate on all those juicy bits of accumulated facts.
So get off your bum and finish it. And as for Fireflys... yea I'm sure everyone is grateful for the quick run down... but are you being patronising to Sallinger....? If so that's not cool, don't be a sheep!

19yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that fireflys is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i'm not being a sheep nor am i patronizing anyone. that's not what i was doing. all i was doing was stating my opinions about the book on whether it is fact or fiction. just because i have different opinions than Salinger doesn't mean they are patronizing or sheep-like.

"Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the book is brilliant, its great entertainment. but it is flawed quite largely in a lot of its claims, for example one of the books he refers to a lot is complete fiction, and the authors admitted it several years before he wrote the da vinci code. also the history of the priory of sion is not so defnite, for example, the priory texts mentioned are largely believed to be faked. there are also numerous other historical errors. though unlike many who list those arguements, there are many unanswered points, it is known that the bible was edited by people throughout history, and books were missed out and in some cases wiped out. also some of the bits in the painting are interesting as well. it is also strange for that time period that jesus didnt have a wife, ive heard it said, that he would not have been taken very seriously as an unmarried man at that time. it is possible in my opinion that jesus and mary magdalene were married, and had a child, but dan browns history surrounding it is flawed.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ultima is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I read the Da Vinci Code and i loved it... well at times it became tidious for it seemed that the obstacles given were becoming repetitive, and tedious. I found the material to be quite accurate, and fascinating. Oddly enough, it was the first time ive heard about this mary magdalene being his wife. I learned alot, and actually looked up the claims.

"take chances, make mistakes, and get messy"
 48yrs • F •
elenorajane is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
fireflys..you do realise your answer is dodgy...right? If you read back to your post after salinger's you can see my confusion about your "opinions". Now my opinion: You were having a 'veiled' go at the last person's post.
eg. "actually it is based on historical fact..."
"YEARS of studying,..."
Look, as far as I could understand salinger just wanted a supplement of DC accumulated facts, not a bloody lesson on how and why to read the book.

Da Vinci Code
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy