If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace - Thomas Paine
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Does rap music insight violence amongst young peop

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
Alien_Guy_Bob is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Do you believe that rap music causes young people to act violent, or to become more anti-social towards other people?

"Life is like a penis, when it gets hard, fuck it"
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Oh no, it's not just "rap." It could be heavy metal, gothic, rock, it could be anything that causes a child to react and behave in a certain way.

Their perspective on music is quite different than that of an adult - thinking about your question, I had no real idea how angry rap was but I listened to it anyway, sometimes, just because it sounded good sometimes. When I noticed the lyrics and the sorts of behavior the artists were encouraging, that was my teenage phase, when I dropped that sort of music altogether and stayed away from it.

And then now, I just picked up listening to it (rap, more specifically) again. Oh, I know what they're singing about, and half of it doesn't apply to me or phase me at all so I just let it go through me without any influence. That's what children CAN'T do - they see music as such a powerful and potential medium for their frustration or enjoyment of life, and simply go at it without any sort of precaution at all.

I mean Eminem sings about some good points, honestly, like in "The Way I Am":

"When a dude's gettin bullied and shoots up his school,
and they blame it on Marilyn [Manson],
And the heroin,
Where were the parents at?
And look where it's at -
Middle america,
Now it's a tragedy,
Now it's so sad to see."

Now the little kid is gonna have a different response to this than the adult, I think at least. He's just gonna use it in excitement to defend Eminem's music in general - "It's not the music that causes killings! Guns cause killings!" Which is not true, obviously music misinterpreted is going to cause a kid to do a lot of stupid stuff.

I see those lyrics and think, "Well, he's got a point, not one really gives a shit if someone open fires on a neighborhood in the ghettos, but when it happens in bourgeosie America out near Columbine, everyone HAS to know and cry because the rich people are worth more than the poor."

They blame him, they could if they wanted to and same with Marilyn, if kids are stupid and can't understand something beyond on what they wish to see, of course they'll use music to justify their actions. Same with books, movies, TV. Media makes for a good excuse to do just about anything.

Interesting question though, I just think it goes beyond rap.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Parents of the jazz age believed the music was a terrible influence upon their children. Almost every new form of music is looked upon as scandalous when it emerges. Often, the creators of the media are attempting to be scandalous for the present, but in the future I wouldn't doubt people looking back would view the concept of rap as a bad influence as just ridiculous.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my opinion no, rap nor any other medium provokes violence, if the music tells people to go out and shoot people there is room for examination.

I tend to feel that passionate music or media can stir emotions, but intent is different. It either already exists because of other circumstances or it doesn't. If it causes some intent it might be because of new information presented in said medium, eliciting reactions in line with developed reactionary intent that would be developed beforehand.

When it comes to movies music and video games, it seems to me, from personal experience, that peoples actions influenced or not, tend to come down to the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality as well as what thier personal beliefs are on the value of human life.

As a matter of fact, I've even noticed some personal revulsion, physically not in personal opinion, to the more extremely violent and graphic video games, such as manhunt, I actually had some difficulty at a point or two playing it, but I never thought it was evil, though the portrayed concept I could argue such.

The point being, people generally aren't stupid enough to confuse real death with any medium's portrayel, except for deliberate attempts to fake it of course. And most kids I've ever encountered are far more intelligent on such basic matters than many people give them credit.

Maybe its just different for those parents trying to censor life from their kids and now they can't distinguish fantasy from reality.

Besides, the news is far bloodier (especially FOX) then most mediums. Oh and so is the bible.

I persoanlly feel that censorship causes the problems that it tries to fight. Saying Fuck doesn't hold any rational reason for being wrong, calling it wrong can make it seem wrong though.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 46yrs • M
Besides, would anyone here even think to claim that its the music, instruments and what not, that is the feared source of violence, or the lyrics, right?

Well I'd be more worried about what people are lying to me about rather than openly expressing for one, and if it is an expression of something that causes "rightful" or justifiable anger, then perhaps that is what should be looked at more closely.

And again, as for content, excluding profanity and nudity (though not excluded in cable example), the news basic cable are just as "bad" if not far worse.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Domz0r is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I dont think it is nessicarily the music on its own, but also the videos.

For instance, rap music does revolve around the mistreating of women or "Hoes and Whores" and makes them out to be objects. Lyrics of some rappers are very violent, but not all.
I belive some artist may be a bad influence, but then so can an artist(s) from any genre. I just think that Rap is at the forefront, because they take no actions to cover it up. As you can see from open lyrics, and videos which show scandel.

But as Astarte said, it goes beyond just rap.

"I am Domz0r....roar!!!!"
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Haha, so true.
If you read into DMB's "Crash Into Me" or Nickelback's "Figured You Out", that's some crazy-assed explicitness going on. I still can't get over the second song, the first time I heard it I didn't catch all of what he had said..but come on,

"I like your pants around your feet, I like the dirt that's on your knees, I like the way you still say please when you're lookin' up at me, you're like my favorite damned disease.."

goes onto slip in this one line..

"...I like the way you're not impressed, while you put me to the test, I like the white stains on your dress."

Haha.
Jesus.
Some bands are clever mofos.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 41yrs • F •
CaspeR022 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
No rap doesn't... theres lots of other kind of music out there that lil kids listen to and decide that they what to be like them and go out hurtin others. why does it always have to be the black people that others think are makin young people go out and hurt... [b] you know what i think, i think its the people who only listen to other kinds of music and then once they get a taste of rap they like it and think right away that its the reason why so many people in this world are gettin hurt or even killed.

"Tha Hood Is Tha Place To Be!"
 46yrs • M
"the mistreating of women or "Hoes and Whores""

The women in videos are just after money and power like anyone else, they are there by their choosing as far as I know, I have no sympathy in that department.

"I just think that Rap is at the forefront, because they take no actions to cover it up."

I think anyone is kidding themselves if they don't look at the racist implications, but otherwise it's just the same old story, parents hate their kids music, corruption seems to be seen as coming from everything but parents and authority.

Assinine.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Domz0r is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I think anyone is kidding themselves if they don't look at the racist implications

If thats aimed at my comment, there were no racist impllications what so ever.
I am not a racist, and just because I say that I think rap artists take no precautions to cover up their explicit lyric's and the violence they potray is in no way racist.

quote:
The women in videos are just after money and power like anyone else, they are there by their choosing as far as I know, I have no sympathy in that department.

And i was not rferring to the women in the video, but women in general, in rap videos (and i know not just rap videos, but rap is the subject here) women are treated like objects, regardless if they are actors/dancers getting money, the same ideas are still potrayed.

Oh yes, and its spelt "Asinine"

Cretin.

"I am Domz0r....roar!!!!"
 46yrs • M
I hear elected officials corner the market on womanizing, and they are also often strong advocates against rap, ah, old white men.

I wasn't saying you were making racist comments or anything, what I was saying is that racism is still one of the major reasons for rap being looked down upon and singled out.

The women that hang with these rap stars, or any other, groupies and what not, are the ones treating themselves like objects, haven't you ever seen how they act, passing out at concerts, giving blow jobs to ever swinging dick to get back stage. Please, there is a consistent message, sometimes false, but rappers have always said they are just rapping about what they see. They see women act like whoes, just like guys. You would hope women would notice if they do care, because rappers are helping to point it out. But since it really is just a double standard, the whole argument is baseless.

Again, not an ounce of sympathy.

"And i was not rferring to the women in the video, but women in general, in rap videos"

Uh, contradict yourself much? And otherwise I don't know what you are talking about, what video as compared to generalized as I was referring to as well.

Oh, and thanks for the spell check grandma, even though I find my spelling of the word much more poignant.

Were you calling me a cretin? If so you are an idiot, if not, have a pleasant day.

[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I grew up with two brothers that were in a band and wrote their own music. They didn't have to write lyrics that had some shock value to produce great music.

I don't think writing about raping your mother is quality, however different types of music is an individual opinon.

There have been cases where music is to blame for a person's actions. These individuals have come out and said they were acting out on a song they heard. I get angry when I hear this because the media blames music and holds little accountability towards the individial that actually did the act.

Leftwood, I'm confused on what you're saying. If a naked female walked into a room full of horny males, giving them lap dances, that still wouldn't justify rape.

46yrs • M
Justify rape, what the hell? Where did a justification for rape ever get discussed? All I'm aware of talking about is people acting like whores, male and female alike, and that they shouldn't be surprised if they are seen as such. That just because there is a video, that is seen as degrading, the people in it are willing participants, I have no idea where the rape point is coming from.

I know of no justifications for rape, I only know of one case that has been lagitamized in public view, and that's mary's immaculate conception, which was probably just her cheating anyway.

A song about raping someone's mother, if it is merely a verbal retaliation to an act possibly perpetrated upon the singer/songwriter, than I see much point and validation to the song. If this singer is citing plans to commit a criminal act, that is different.

Most music has a personal context, especially lyrically, and most artists of any genre are not generally the most well adjusted individuals, and often come from some intense backrounds. It's easy for me to point such things out, coming from a relatable backround.

But I assure you I was making no referrence to any justification for rape. Having been sexually molested that is a highly unlikely posistion for me to take.

As for shock value, well, some people simply verbally accounting their life will have many words with great shock value, not to create shock, the shock was already created when the event took place. If a person is still just shocked by the words, imagine what it was like for them.

62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
kay, I wasn't necessarily quoting you and claiming YOU believe these women deserved to be raped. What I am wondering is why so many believe that a girl that acts promiscuous in a video is reason for calling her a slut or whore.

Domzor made a very good point about these women being treated like objects.

quote:

Isn't your very point of view indicate them as objects? You don't know these women to say what their reasons are for doing a video.

The slapping labels doesn't only hold true for females. Males are also victims. The other day, I heard a woman call her husband a lazy bastard because she worked while he was the homemaker. Huh? A stay home woman is a homemaker but a man is lazy?

Btw, I am trully sorry for your past. No one deserves such treatment and if I knew the person that did this horrible act, I would personally slap the shit out of them. You don't know me, but if you ever feel like talking, please write me.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sure..... depends on the subject and mental state of the individual who is listening to the "rap"

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy