Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Contradictions in the Quran

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey ppl. Well, a while ago I saw a thread discussing contradictions such as scientific ones in the bible, so I thought it would be interesting to see if there are any in the quran.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, as with all holy books there are contradictions :
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/index.html

Go there and go under the green contradictions part.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
DumbTeen, I've browsed through the site and a lot of the verses are taken out of context. Whoever did all this research took the text as is and never did any other research. Something like the Quran that millions of people take as the guidebook of life deserves more research than that.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Re-Animated is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
bullshit is bullshit. Ofcourse there's contradictions, I makes no difference for those who belive in it.

"Albert Fish: "What I did must have been right or an angel would have stopped me, just as an angel stopped Abraham in the Bible [from sacrificing his son].""
 36yrs • F •
You're right, it doesn't make a difference of a lot of people follow it. But that doesn't change the fact that that the webmaster of the website DumbTeen provided hasn't done further research than what is already written in the Quran.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
Actually the purpose of me opening this thread was not being given some web site, but having a discussion and using our own brains

36yrs • F •
I've seen a few other sites about contradictions in the Qu'r'an. I have yet to come upon a person who has done proper research. They take the text as is and don't look into the actual language (which is Arabic), nor do they consult other books or experts. They focus on the translation and don't look into the historical aspect. That's why discussions on this issue are pointless until proper research has been done. Unless any of you know about a website or book in which the author has done the necessary research....

35yrs • M •
Whats there too research about? If a verse is given, why are u dependant on others too interpret it? thats the reason for the current state of affairs. Because people don't ponder over the meanings of the words in the Bible, Torah and Quran, and leave it too the 'experts', problems develop. read a verse, and try to understand it, and too hell with everyone else, too hell with all the priests and Mullahas, the bible, quran and torah are ur personel contact with God, urz and solely urz too understand.

36yrs • F •
But something as important as the Quran which Muslims take as their guidebook in life and the word of God deserves more than plain reading.

First, the fact that the original Quran is in Arabic has to be taken into consideration. Translations aren't the same. Texts that aren't kept and learned in their original language lose meaning and value over time.

Second, as with any book, the history must be taken into account. When was it revealed? The Quran wasn't revealed all in one day, but in pieces. So certain parts were revealed at certain times. That must be taken into account.

Third, many verses are misunderstood by those who take the verses literally. That's when you have those who study the Qur'an, it's language, and it's history of revelation to give you better insight on the meaning. The Qur'an is saturated in meaning and some people may not be able to see all the different meanings. We would not understand the workings of this world if it had not been for the experts like scientists and psychologists.

But you're right when you say people need to ponder over the meanings. I've read parts of the English translation of the Qur'an and it's not difficult to understand, except the verses that have some deeper meaning or history behind it. But people need to stop taking it as a simple book and think about what message God is trying to send them. Islam is all abotu your connection with God. Muslims don't believe in intercessors. Experts on the Quranic history are not needed to make you come closer to God, but they help you in understanding some of the more meaningful verses. Having a lot of Muslim friends, I know this. They believe that there is nothing between them and God, but they still help in each other in remembering God.

35yrs • M •
yes, but let's just post a verse or sumtin that u feel is contadictory, and have a discussion on it

Yes, experts may be needed for specific verses, but [/i]not for verses with a deep meaning[i] They may be needed for technical verses, such as when was a verse revealed, what is it's correct translation etc. But for the meaningfull verses, like 'God is nearer to you then your jugular vein', these so called experts are of no use. Thats because most of these self proclaimed 'experts' and mullahs are not like us, they are not philosophical or deep thinkers, so are unable to undersatnd the true significant of a verse. In other words, unforunately in todays world they are backward thinkers, so they cannot be trusted with verses which require brains

36yrs • F •
You're right. Most experts on the Quran are raised in the Middle East and may not understand all different points of view. Thus making them interpret a verse in a way that doesn't make sense to others. It's not possible for them to see all points of view, although I woudln't discourage any of them from doing so. But don't undermine them all. They are not all narrow-minded and extremely biased towards their own culture. There are those scholars who are deep thinkers. One example is Hamza Yusuf. My friends really like his books.

Like I said, anyone can understand the Qur'an, but there may be a verse that has different or deeper meaning to it. Sometimes there's a story behind a verse, but the story is not mentioned in detail in the Quran but in the traditions of the Prophet Mohammed. This is when you may need the scholars because the story may not be recorded in English or available in bookstores. But I believe that anyone can understand most of the Qur'an. It's up to each person to find the meaning in the verse he/she reads.

37yrs • M •
Indeed, the site is bigotted at times. However, I find its a good reference point to find the bits which are indeed self-contradictory.

Easier then flipping through the bible anyway.

35yrs • M •
(sigh). So why don't you post those supposedly contradictory verses so we can discuss them...

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Heads up: You must have read the Bible and Torah to understand the Qur'an because it assumes you know the religious stories of the past, it doesn't have its own versions of Adam and Eve, it might clarify but it sure isn't a storybook.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 37yrs • M •
I really am bored of all this, I've made loads of posts in the past on the meaningless/contradictor/intolerant drivel in the Bible each quoting long passages.

So, I would, but its boring, use the search function to find my past posts. Try searching 'intolerance' or 'leviticus'.

1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy