Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Censorship

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Censorship
Freedom of speech but no right to hear it.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 66yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that SteveFromTexas is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Holy Cow!

Now there's another fine newsflash...lol

Steve From Texas - having a great evening, are you?

"Any day above ground is a good day"
 46yrs • M
Newsflash? What are you babbling about, its a debate forum, I want to hear peoples opinions on this topic. As I haven't heard much about it on this site.(whether I missed it somewhere or not, I've only been in here a couple weeks)

Wow, what kind of medication are you not taking steve?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
fuck censorship.... no seriously.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
is she cute?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
nope, censorship is an ugly beast. but sometimes you gotta take one for the team, ya know?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
How did you know I knew, what have you heard? Somebody's gonna die!

46yrs • M
Is it helpful?

This is similar but kinda off topic, but it is important to me and somewhat related, but sealed government documents, and the ability to effectively (sometimes, if it is even true) cover up illegal activities and abuses of power. In politics it sometimes seems that not a day goes by without some sort of scandal.

I highly agree and am genuinely baffled by the nudity violence issue. But I also find it weird that naked bodies are in ways illegal, only in the visibility respect do I disagree with such laws, sanitationally speaking as well as current sexual mentalities that have been taught something is both bad and good and are left highly confused while very still very naturally compelled, these are reasons why we have grown possibly dependant on sexual content restrictions, we don't know how to deal with such emotions since we so overly oppress them, leaving them to control us more than vice versa.

Kids are the only viable argument to any argument I've heard thus far (besides the above mention sanitation and socially created mental disorders on the subject), but I think people may be wrong about what they think is the eventual causes of developed "moral" issues on these subjects. My point comes in the fact that once kids leave the home they become exposed to things randomly and consistently. Kids often don't care unless you tell them no about something, untill puberty their outlook on the subject is usually little more than innocent curiosity, now with all that said, I know there are still problems that occur with certain children developing fetishes and compulsions much like adults, I know abuse is almost a guarantee for such an outcome, simple exposure is arguable as to what kind of affect it may have, if a kid sees something (accidentally, or under flagrant intention) they usually first think someone is hurting someone anyway, but how you react is the seed of their feelings and understandings of the subject which is inevitable. If you act like the kid or you are doing something wrong, they will instinctively know it and develop intense aversion and or curiosity, and a life of confusion will insue.

What is one of the biggest proponents of (especially) sexual censorship, insecurity of course, and oh how we feed that insecurity.

46yrs • M
Ya, thats lovely information, in a disturbing sort of way, I'm so glad when I can hear from the front lines sometimes, as I consider our education system exactly that when it comes to what kids learn and learn to believe and eventually grow to follow and fight for in adulthood.

" We are told what we can and cannot discuss in class and what our "professional" opinion must be on drugs, homosexuality, abortion, pre-marital sex, religion, the existence of a Supreme Being, etc. Sadly, these are some of the topics that interest teenagers the most, and we must either avoid them like the plague or lie when we are asked our opinions."

I cannot help but think of Nazis when I hear this. Honest question should be aloud to be answered with honest answers, like I don't know even.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
nope, censorship is an ugly beast. but sometimes you gotta take one for the team, ya know?

46yrs • M
So now there is a tape indicating that a marine may be guilty of killing a wounded unarmed man, and I'm now later listening to Pat Buchanan ask if we shouldn't be censoring such images, but I haven't heard yet what he is trying to accomplish or avoitd by having such censorship, I missed most of the show. But I find myself awfully curious.

I understand the partially mentioned point that I agree with about protecting identities but apparently the Al-Jazeera tv already has been telling the marines name as ours has not, I don't know how or why Al-Jazeera has raw footage of an american embedded journalist before as we are now only hearing about it especially,

[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 46yrs • M
I have a question on censorship. Leaving out censoring of children's exposure to anything, should the government be allowed to censor what adults want to see, hear, etc? Especially in terms of "newsworthy" or important current event issues and film footages. I'm also not sure of what current laws exist on the internet material, since you can go on and watch beheadings if you find the right sites, and other gruesome and sexually explicit material.

Another thing, people act so quickly and speak so strongly of what harm or injustice comes of being allowed to see, say, or show such things, but how hard to they think about what problems could be caused by trying to hide it?

Is it really so hard to see how connected some of today's issues are with censorship, of course not soley for all things are affected by all things but it tends to be that all things have particular and main influences or dominating factors.

Often it seems that these issues aren't really a problem, they just become one when you try to oppose them. Short of physical violence and malicious intent, which is still seen and practiced as a perspective matter, meaning that although these acts and practices are abhored, they are still used readily in either combating the issue, which is ironically contradictory, or whenever deemed necessary or as can be gotten away with, especially in business and politics and even in religious practice, crusades, inquisitions, etc.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
*hypothetical situation follows*

you've been given a radio tuner. you know nothing about its function other than it receives radio signals from a radio tower *which was pointed out to you* when it is "activated" or on.

turning the radio on the first time, you hear a loud staticky sound. becoming quite annoyed and offended, you proceed in destroying EVERY radio tower you happen upon.

something odd occurs one day... the static changes into nothing less than, sports talk radio! examining your tuner in light of this new noise, you notice a knob that looks as though it could be "turned". upon doing so, you hear statick.

By now you have destroyed every other radio tower in existence, and happened to be tuned in to the last station on earth.

Instead of initially choosing to tune in to something other than statick, you are left with the realization that your life's work did nothing other than leave you with one last choice of an originally much greater selection.

simply do not view or do what you do not want to.

make the choice... Isn't it ultimately your eyelids that stop sight and your fingers that plug hearing?

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 46yrs • M
Depends on who's helping your "blindness", how and why, you may not even know, so many think that what they have seen is the light, and now everything is dark but that light they cling to like any good crack addict does his smoldering hot glass pipe, my fingers will blister, I may become blind, but I know I will have done right by god, for I have worshipped him, yep, now everythings alllllll better, just as long as I hate gay people too, its in the small print.

Censorship
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy