Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The True Religion? - Page 5

User Thread
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I seem to remember something about receiving a prefect body?
A body that would not corrupt?
By definition then the Christian belief is in a reincarnation,
verified by Christ's resurrection?
No pun intended, I found your distinction a good one between resurection and reincarnation. Application of it is loaded with problems, if Jesus returned in a different body, then lack of recognition would be expected? His resurrection elimenates the objection but then it also magnifies questions as to the Nature of His Existence

The simplest way to describe this would be to look for the trans root and explain that first.trans

- \Trans-\ [L. trans across, over.] A prefix, signifying over, beyond, through and through, on the other side, as in transalpine, beyond the Alps; transform, to form through and through, that is, anew, transfigure.

adj : (prefix) across or crossing or on the opposite side [syn: trans(a)]

Figure; body.

Transfigure; 1. To change the outward form or appearance of; to metamorphose; to transform.

2. Especially, to change to something exalted and glorious; to give an ideal form to.

Jesus was transfigured before them; and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. --Matt. 17. 2.

Transfigured body is a glorious body received when entering heaven.
Resurrection; the rising again from the dead; the resumption of life by the dead; as, the resurrection of Jesus Christ; the general resurrection of all the dead at the Day of Judgment.
*At the resurrection of the last judgement our souls reunite with the body, and the body shall be perfect.
Reincarnation; the false teaching we shall have another embodiment and our souls return to earth again to relive life until we perfect our souls or supposedly learn what we must accomplish.

*We have one life, one goal, and one reward.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I just wanted to thank you all for your part in these pages, sharing your thoughts & perceptions with others is a way in which we can come to accept our differences without resorting to violent acts which plauge the world.
As my own people were destroyed out of the world long ago, I have studied & learn the Traditions of others. For this reason I try to be sure to make clear distinctions of what traditions are being given & recieved.
Thank you again for your patience when I seem to split hairs about what you may believe. I seek to verify & understand the beliefs of others so I tend to dig deep to make clear these things for myself & others.
For your edification.
In the Native Traditions, there are those shaman which is translated to shape-shifters in the Celtic. In the art of the shaman then one becommes something when you learn to stop pretending to be that thing & start becoming that thing.
A hard concept to comprehend so the best example I can give is to say "You truly become a Christian when you stop pretending to be Christian & start being like Christ."

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 57yrs • F •
Yes, the world is torn apart over the differences.

What I did when I was 15, was go to the library to research many religions.
I would read many books, and took many hours. I was on a quest to discern toself what faith was most accurate.

I believe in researching everything I can. I like to discover the different turns the world can bend in interpretations.

Needless to say, I feel safest in my faith. I have given my mind soundness when discovery and uncovering the history.

Not sure what you mean by...
quote:
As my own people were destroyed out of the world long ago

If you care to elaborate, I am interested.

Thank you for giving me time to go through what I discover as we go along.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
cturtle - I find that you are a man of great faith. Often I don't reply to your posts because I don't always understand what you are saying. You are far more technical then I am. But I do believe that the indians were closer to God then any one, because they were closer to nature. They understood things you could not explain in words to be placed in books.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 57yrs • F •
quote:
But I do believe that the indians were closer to God then any one, because they were closer to nature. They understood things you could not explain in words to be placed in books.

I would not say closer to God, but certainly they were highly astute to acknowledge they did NOT exist unto themselves.

They, without any teachings, knew there was a creator. So, without formal training and teaching, they grasped what GOD gave us such as the sun, and looked upon his creations as God himself. Which says alot. Because they were not insistent he did not exist, but sought to discover him.

I love how the Indians gave thanks to a higher being. They were an awesome group.

72yrs • M •
My adaptive and perceptive people thank you for your words of honor. But if you understood their Traditions then would you know that in their own way, western man is only beginnig to understand the truth of their teachings.

57yrs • F •
You are adopted by Indians? Kewl.

61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that imn2caves is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Abraham is said to be the first person to recognize and worship "Yahweh", "Allah" or "Lord". This is acknowledged by the 3 major religions respectively Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
Abraham, according to the Bible, came from the city of Ur before leaving for Canaan. Ur was located in Mesopotamia under the control of the Babylonians. The Babylonians were a polytheist culture, and the Bible admits that Abraham practiced these religions before leaving Ur.
Polytheism, or paganism, is thought by secular and rigorist scholars to have been created out of an ignorance of nature. For example a volcano erupts. With no understanding why this occurred, humans linked the natural events to the only thing they could understand. The event was caused by the all powerful (god), but with human qualities (i.e. Neptune, Apollo, etc).
Polytheism eventually incorporated a 'oneness' with the environment, which is why I agree with you, the Native Americans had the right idea.
Back to Abraham, the story of his journey to Canaan is strange indeed. Even by ancient standards he was concerned an oddity, today he'd be in an asylum, and he is considered to be the first monotheist. Hmmmm....
It's clear that polytheism came first. An insane Abraham came along much later with his single god theory. Over the next 3+ millennium, mankind has used and abused theology to justify power and greed.
All this because the cavemen hadn't a clue what made the volcano go boom!

"No one died when Clinton lied!"
 64yrs • M •
If I happen to be walking by a mountain and it explodes, just while I'm walking by it. I think I might take it personal and believe that God is doing this to me. Why not - God knew that mountain would blow up, why didn't he warm me.

You are right though. In the name of God, throughout history, and yet EVEN today, the things we do. The worst part about it. There may have been a chance we may have realized our missdeed and turned from it. But as soon as you involve God into it. It all of a sudden becomes a righteous thing, even if it is wrong. Because you're following God. I just can't understand how they can't understand. (If you destroy something that God has made, how can that be good?)

57yrs • F •
Basicaaly, Abram...aka Abraham, believed in a single God, because God spoke with him.
He spoke to Moses, and the tribe of his choosen people. Deut 6; 24
...and said'The Lord, our God, has indeed let us see his glory and his majesty! We have heard his voice from the midst of the fire and have found out today that a man can live after Gid has spoken to with him. But why should we die now? Surely this great fire will consume us. If we hear the voice of the Lord, our God, any more, we shall die. For what mortal has heard, as we have, the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of fire, and survived? Go closer, you, and hear all the Lord, Our God, tells you, we will listen and obey.'

This shows both the trembling men do when hearing the Lord, and that he did indeed show himself to mankind.

http://www.biblemysteries.com/

http://www.timelife.com.au/index.asp?pagetype=product&productid=5&am
p;categoryid=3
to buy a dvd or vid and see what they say.

I have a vid called
'The Bible' a search for truth. TIME LIFE.

These are evidence of all that happened in the bible, and what archealogists discovered that proove the bible stories.

72yrs • M •
quote:
All this because the cavemen hadn't a clue what made the volcano go boom!

While studing with the Church of Christ, they used a supplemental text on archeology (sp) In reading it I was rather surprised because I had been subsciously been relating the Ancient World as the times of cave dwellers.
But that Abram was a maker of idols, living in a city containing a lbrary of some thousand stone tablets was rather a shock.
His vocation was probably a significant factor in coming to form a beleive in an single all-powerful Creator.
quote:
If I happen to be walking by a mountain and it explodes, just while I'm walking by it.
Yes and seeing what appeared to be a burning bush which was not consumed, one might come to a similar conclusion.
To bad fear might keep you from drawing nearerr to discover that a volcanic vent hole produced heat waves (gases) which like a mirage in the desert produced the effect?

61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that imn2caves is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dreamer, check out Deut 2:34. God commands Moses to commit mass murder. This is graphically depicted, and Moses is quite thorough by killing "the little ones" also. Now thats a god we should pay attention to.

Cturtle, are you saying that the Church of Christ is teaching that Neanderthals are the same as the Ancients (Greeks, Assyrians, etc)? I like your volcanic deduction, ah an open mind.

OKcitykid, if you were walking by an active volcano which suddenly erupts, I would assume you'd be considered to be the chosen one. Whether you're a polytheist or a monotheist, a god was looking out for you my friend.

"No one died when Clinton lied!"
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hello all, and imin2caves...
Sounds like you found a place where you will be accepted.
Seriously, if God allowed that city to be destroyed in Duet, it was because they mocked and ignored God.

SO, if I were you buddy, I would not set foot our of your cave, you could be next with your wise cracks.
Matter of fact, knowing he is capable of RECLAIMING lives...
(after all, caveman, he has all rights to ALL life, "INCLUDING YOURS!!!" and what he deems fit to do with them. Since all may come back to HIM anyway...with exception to those he throws in the hellfire.)

You should hush your mouth, and do well to be reverent.
otherwise, keep it up, you have your own salvation at stake.

That is like tempting fate.....DUH!!!

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 72yrs • M •
Patrish & imn2caves, I am sorry if I made confusing statement. What I meant was that the secular view & the religious view had promoted the preception that the ancient world (pre-flood) and cavemen were the same period of time.
quote:
I like your volcanic deduction, ah an open mind.
You like the vent hole,eh? But then Moses did approach the burning bush when he heard a voice saying it was Sacred Ground.
Not to worry, none know how close he came when he inhaled some of the poison gases which caused him to have a psychotic experence
quote:
That is like tempting fate.....DUH!!!

Tempting Fate! Let's see Jews murder Jesus and the Christians allow capitalist to put a lie before him so by accepting the lie, isn't like tempting fate.....DUH!!
After all, to beieve or disbelieve is one thing, but to use the robes of Christ as a cloak is quite another.
So they conned the people with democracy (It was only for those who owned property, remember), not a big deal.
Well not from GOD's point of view anyway.
I had heard the term Judas Priest but never really thought about what it meant
. . . Judas sold out Christ for the love of money, right?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 64yrs • M •
quote:
OKcitykid, if you were walking by an active volcano which suddenly erupts, I would assume you'd be considered to be the chosen one. Whether you're a polytheist or a monotheist, a god was looking out for you my friend.

Thank you - I think

It has been a long time since I've read those scriptures in the old testement. There is some real bad stuff in there. How can we believe in a perfect God and yet call things like this written about him, "the word of God" The first person to distrubute the bible to the public was burnt to a stake. Why, because surely he was the devil they thought.

The True Religion? - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy