Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Thoughts, anyone?

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
Deadpool is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thoughts, anyone?
I had what I think is an ephinany, the other day.

I was thinking about about a saying, namely, "...it doesnt matter what other people think." I got to thinking, and now I wonder this:

In not caring what people think about us, do we eventually stop caring about people all together.

What are your thoughts on this?

"Im not predujiced, I hate everyone equally -WC Fields"
 1971yrs • F •
janispaula is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I agree with Decius that when a new behavior is taken on, you go to the extreme and then come back to the middle. I know for me I have become strong in that I won't let anyone take advantage of me. I also spot games people play and I am able to extricate myself from the game psychologically speaking. But I think it is human nature to want to be liked and when someone, for no apparent reason, ignores you or pays you a hurtful remark, it can't help but be painful. It's how you process that pain whether you come out on top or not. None of us are saints. I guess that's why we have to be careful what we say so as not to hurt someone unintentionally. Our words are powerful; they can break a heart, or they can heal a broken heart.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that cutencuddly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have to admit, that my experience of learning to discard what others think is very similar to that of Decius's. Although i'm one of those people who is soft altogether, and i can't stay tough for long. Although when i go through the phase of thinking about me and doing what i want, i agree, i do tend to care less about others in general, let alone their opinions. I just thnik its a way that we deal with situations. If we want to make something right in our own conscience or mind, then we have to have a valid excuse in our mind of why we shouldn't listen to others, and that comes with not caring about them at all.

"my name says it all!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that deletion_of_me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"In not caring what people think about us, do we eventually stop caring about people all together."
Short answer: No.
Long answer: We do not need to care what people think about us to care about them. take this possibly flawed example (it is late): You love your mother because she takes care of you. She may hate you for ruining her life; eg. 16 year old mother or some such social blunder, yet you don't have to care that she hates you. You still love her because she cares for you.
Having a complete lack of empathy seems to make me care less for people in general, not the fact that i don't give a stuff what they think of me. That would be apathy.

Thoughts, anyone?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy