The worst pain in life is when someone you know turns into someone you knew. - sweetygirl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why continue?

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
whywhywhy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
why continue?
I am having trouble formulating a real conclusion as to why we keep living this life.

Even if when we die, we just become one with everything, what was the point of living? Why not just die and become free?

or if there is nothing after death.... why bother? Even if we can live to be remembered, we cannot be remembered forever. The only people we remember are people who did very great things that most people cannot do. And those people will someday be forgotten, for whatever reason. It is a great possibility that the human race will someday cease to exist.

so what's the point if we take these thoughts into account? Why do we have urges to create and make things better if in the long run we all are dead and it's gone?

I don't expect anyone to know the answer to this. But maybe we can attempt to come to a better understanding of what we have to gain from existing.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Scarecrow is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why does the fire burn and consume?

"Everything we say is a lie no matter how useful it can be."
 36yrs • M •
You have to stop thinking that you have to keep living and figure out what you want. You are alive and have the freedom to live and enjoy it. It takes very little effort to stay alive this day in age. So the question, as a being who can even decide to take its own life, what do you want to do?

36yrs • M •
About your believing we are all one being beneficial, I would like you to elaborate. There are many things beneficial in life that one can choose to pursue.
"What do you want to get enlightened for? You may not like it."- Shunryu Suzuki

36yrs • M •
Ah yes what one might consider a meta-physical topic.

Well how can we describe the feeling and effects of enlightenment.
-A better sense of well being.
-A better sense of worldly knowledge.
-Confidence.
-Wisdom.

Anything you would like to add?

36yrs • M •
That changes from time to time. I've become what I consider quite philosophically accomplished and often claim to be "enlightened" which is all I ever wanted or should I say focused on in depth, but usually I just enjoy effecting people and overcoming daily challenges and life goals. Right now I am pursuing information and understanding the fields of psychology and conceptual physics. Maybe settle down one day and have kids.

36yrs • M •
Yes, I know what you mean, I have had that feeling for so long now that I almost forgot what it is like not to be confident. I even quit having nightmares when I dream. A connection with everything is some what felt but it does die down after you realize how the consciousness isn't connected quite like Neo's. I can't predict when the worlds is going to end you know? But it is comforting to know that when I die the universe will march on.

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Every grain of sand or pebble on the beach doesn't seem very important does it? But each together, combined as a whole makes up the beach. Every stone or blade of grass or single daisy doesn't seem very significant, but together they make up the earth. You could go on... Each drop of water in the ocean, each person on the planet, each planet in the solar system, each solar system in the galaxy, each galaxy in the universe, each universe in the mind of God etc. etc. etc.

You don't think there is any point to continue in a seemingly meaningless life, but one stitch in the fabric of a tapestry could draw the eye to the whole picture!

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 36yrs • M •
That is part of it but as I like to think of it things not only are part of the larger picture but also are interconnected constantly effecting one another. Everything is always in action and effecting everything around it. Here I have provided a link for your pleasure on how our thoughts alone supposedly can effect the formation of ice crystals.

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twilight/research_emoto.htm

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
scarecrow that is the strangest thing I think i've ever seen.
However I have always believed that our emotions are somehow linked to our own bodily fluids and the effects on them through the pull of the moon.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 38yrs • M •
nomeaning is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I've wondered this time and time again, the conclusion I come to as to why I continue and not end my life is that im here and there are things that I want to do that i believe eventually i will do if i try hard enough. I dont think i'll ever be here again so i should make the most of it, I dont bother trying to figure out if there is a meaning of life or a reason why i should do anything. All I know is what I want to do and thats what i strive for until the day I die.

"If you can’t / won’t change it, accept it."
 36yrs • M •
Question:
Have any of you ever felt a completeness with every one? I am not just talking about romanticism but a real understanding and feeling that you are not the only consciousness. Feeling another persons thoughts almost. Sort of a deja vu feeling of being in another persons mind and understanding the human struggle we all face. A feeling, not just knowing that after you die things will go on and people will be born and will face challenges and feel like you have felt. Who will live in this world that you have effected, or have lived in this world far before your time and effected you without you knowing. Can you imagine how the founding fathers would have felt in their time, it really wasn't so long ago. Just a kinda thought about life and how it continues.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"What do you want to get enlightened for? You may not like it."- Shunryu Suzuki

Wiser words have never been spoken. These are the words of a truly enlightened being.

Enlightenment - To see life exactly as it is, completely disillusioned.

It's nothing pretty if you ask me... but so entirely irresistable.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 36yrs • M •
"Enlightenment - To see life exactly as it is, completely disillusioned. "

That I believe is fundamentally impossible. People make mistakes for many reasons. If you have ever felt that you were right, then later realized you were wrong... you will know what I am trying to say.

I act like I know stuff only because it is applicable and helps me get where and what I want. But I always know that I can be, and am ready to be wrong if some one can convince me of it. Truly I am ignorant.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I never said I was enlightened. I was simply defining it.

"The truth will set you on fire"
why continue?
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy