Just like the Rainbow between the Mist and Sun, it feels like I'm trapped between two worlds. - Hammerfall-Between Two Worlds
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why continue? - Page 3

User Thread
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Talk about doom and gloom!

gem, you obviously believe in reincarnation or the chance to live again and better your soul's learning potential or something. Of course not everyone believes in reincarnation per se but I do believe that we are all part of the universe, that vastly unimaginablly huge reason why we are all here. And just being part of that universal existence is enough for me. Change is forever on course, birth, death, re-birth of stars and galaxies and perhaps even universes so I just go with the flow in my tiny little life and if I effect some change, some tiny little ripple on my pool of existence then good, I've been here and will return to the cosmos in some form when I die. I like to think I'm going to heaven and that the energy of my life-force will continue on in a changed state, still effecting change in the universe in some way.

But while I am here I will enjoy my life as best I can, maintaining relationships and building new ones and learning some life lessons along the way.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 40yrs • M •
Sammuel is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Let's look at this logically. Consider this:
Just because I find no meaning in life now does not mean that there cannot be any meaning. The only way to go, then, is foward. Negation cannot suffice.

"Our firmest convictions are apt to be the most suspect."
 34yrs • M •
miracleman9 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ok I am reading some of these comments from some of ya'll are just so depressed.lol "Why should we move on" I'll tell you why because life moves on. Yes your body becomes one with the earth but not your spirit. I hate to tell ya'll athiest out there but there is a greater power out there. I'm sorry if you think there isn't. I'm not a big religous guy or anything but I know whats after this life. So you think your gonna become one with the earth and become a plant or something.........come on now thats just retarted. So you people out there who just give up and get mad at your self or are to retartded to see the truth. Get up and do something about it.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I belive in a next world, and i belive that where we get in that next word depends on how well we did in this world. it's like going from leval to another, crossing the sea, whatever. i believe in this because i believe fundamental islamic teachings, but if i didnt then i would just do what ever i wanted and would seize the moment. islam has given purpose to my life, that this life is just a stepping stone, and the real life starts after you die. like they say, you die once, you live twice, i also believe that every one is accountable for their own deeds, nobody will be blamed for another. God put us here to test us, to see what we would chose, he said that he has guided us to the two paths, now its our choice what we make of it. if you belive that this life was just a mere coincident, and that you just died, and that was the end of it, then yeah, i would be asking the same question, really whats the damn point?

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Miracleman that's an incredibly offensive post. Let me ask you a question, how can you believe in Heaven, and believe in God, and not be a big religious guy? You're pretty much saying you believe its there, but you aren't going to do anything special to get in. I have a friend who applied for a job, got an interview appointment, and then skipped the interview still hoping to get the job. You might say that's stupid but are you not doing the same thing? You see this place you want to be for whatever reason, and you send in your application letting them know, "Hey, I believe you exist" but do you think you'll get in if you don't abide by their rules, and if you blow them off with nothing more than the realization of their existence?

You got lost somewhere my friend. I want to also point out that people have such a huge problem with war, and such an immense issue with murder, but do you realize that if you were a government official and said that, that there would be such an uprising it would start a new war? If you said that to the wrong person...do you think they wouldn't beat the hell outta you? and possibly even kill you? I'm sorry miracleman, I'm a Catholic and I believe in God and Heaven just as much as any other person in any church i've been in but please understand that there is a way of going about these things in a manner less insulting. You need to respect that differnet people believe different things. You can try to get them to believe what we do, that there is a God, but insulting them, and calling them stupid (even if just implying it) will not persuade them to believe.

Suppose you listen to country music, and your friend finds this new metal band that they absolutely love. They tell you that you should listen to it to see if you like it but you say no because you don't like metal and would much rather listen to country; would them calling you stupid make you want to listen to the new metal band any more? Or would that solidify the fact that you don't like metal?

Just a thought, try to be a little more considerate and respectful of the idea that other people have opposing views. It could get you a long way.

32yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that xloobyloox is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Let me ask you a question, how can you believe in Heaven, and believe in God, and not be a big religious guy?

Where in any bible does God say that you need to have a religion to believe in God?

"Why kill the bumblebee when your the pain in the ass?"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sorry to be your best detractor in the last few days but -

Religon MEANS - "way of connecting to God"

It is based in a Latin root - word = Religos

God doesn't say so, it's implied in the title.

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
 38yrs • M •
NickBertke is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Friends, a global end-all be-all meaning of life has never existed and never will. I'll understand if this fact is disappointing to those among us who have to have everything defined and explained. Unfortunately for those people, however, the meaning of life will always remain an entirely subjective issue. It is not like gravity where one man can stand up and declare "The meaning of life is to love and prosper!" as being a fact or global truth.

77yrs • M •
Drxminus1 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Stop defining everything If you release control of the outcome there is peace Let things be what they are without the need for opinion.

"Truth is what is"
 64yrs • M •
GM1258 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I've pondered that question and come up with a theory.
This may seem negative to some but it does make
a rather sordid kind of argument for life on earth.
I think we are all here as some sort of punishment
for some transgression we commited on high.
Look at this way....when you screw up in life you go
to the penitentiary.
Likewise, when you screw up bad enough in "heaven"
you come here....to earth, that is, where the Devil
is the warden.
It explains why "bad" things happen to "good" people.
Or why some are born with a deformity, in poverty,
or with a silver spoon in their mouths.
It's all a part of our penance if you will.
Our lifespan (i.e.; our sentence) is determined by the
severity of our heavenly crimes.

Religious leaders, clergymen, and evangelists are
always trying to rationalize why God lets the
attrocities of the world persist as they do.
They say it's a test of faith.
Or that God wants strengthen our character.
I say BS!
We're here because we asked for it.
We're here to pay the price for something
we did majorly wrong well before.
It brings all the pieces together when you think about it.
It's either that or the planet was colonized by aliens eons
ago and we are some sort of resulting hybrid.....

GM

"life is the childhood of our immortality"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I feel sick, i wanted to make a new thread but there would be no point. I FEEL this awful helplessness within this vast world, i think what is the bloody point, what am i living for? I have nothing to add but voice that i have the same problem.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
YOU COULD TAKE THE OPPOSITE POSITION AND RULE ALL YOU SEE....!

JUST TO SEE WHAT THAT! IS LIKE FOR A CHANGE....!

WITHOUT MAKING AN EXCUSE ABOUT HOW HARD IT IS....!

JUST BECAUSE IT IS HARD SINCE WE SEEM TO LIKE THE DIFFICULT!

TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO IS ALSO HOOKED ON THE PAIN...!

I WAS ONCE LIKE her....!

~~~~~~~~TIME YOU STEPPED ON SOME TOES.... !

IT'S FUN TO INSULT THEM TO THEIR FACE....!

IT'S EVEN MORE FUN TO SAY EXACTLY WHAT IS ON SOMEONE'S MIND... JUST TO SEE THEM STUTTER ....

PAUSE AND WONDER

AT YOU...!

HA' HA' HA'.....!

IF IT'S GONNA' SUCK SO BAD... YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAVE FUN WHENEVER...

WHENEVER WHAT...?

WHENEVER...!

PERIOD...!

IT ALL ADDS UP TO NOTHING...

YOU'VE BEEN ON THIS CHATTY CATHY SPACE LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT...

HAVE AT THEM...!

LOOK FORWARD TO HEAR HOW YOU FARE...!

JUST REMEMBER ... MOST OF THEM AREN'T EVEN THINKING

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Bantam_Confrere is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It is within my belief that one is not supposed to understand the subsequent 'state'.

And while I myself do not try to understand this, I do find gratification in knowing that my time on this earth is somewhat controllable and known to me.

It is just like a poem I once read of a man who speaks to a moth, as he notices and ponders why the moth and his fellow moths so foolishly ram their bodies towards the burning, brilliant light. And he speaks to the moth, and so the moth pauses. The man asks the moth why the moth would so foolish as to kill himself when he could be living a full, fulfilling life. The poem contains some other specific elements that I can't draw to mind right now, but the moth responds, telling the man that he would rather live a short life full of one second of momentous beauty and palatial burst of light than anything else. The man replies stating that he thought it was foolish, "I would rather live a long life of moderate happiness."

Perhaps parables have some truth? It all depends on how you view it; for some, suicide is the most logical and glorified way of existence (or non-existence).

The reason I continue is slightly confusing. I live for a constant amusement at times, and there are times in which I find such momentous beauty in everything that I feel the strongest need to move on, so that I may one day have the opportunity for another such brilliance.

Kurt Vonnegut once quoted, "The point of a human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."

I know a lot of that lead nowhere, just thought i'd add a few thoughts :]

"How nice - To say nothing, yet still get full credit for being alive."
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Bantam_Confrere is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
And Her, I too feel a perpetual state of helplessness. But I tend sympathy where you don't deserve it and that is where you need to improve.

Create a reason to be alive. Don't think too much about how pointless this reason is, just know that you are doing something productive, something that signifies that you are in fact alive. Who the hell cares how pointless life is? Why not try to change that way of thinking?

Sure, everyone has outside problems that none of the people on this thread may be aware of. What makes a person strong is the ability to cope, and if you can't cope then according to me you are borderline insane.

And yes, please spare the criticism of my age, but I think I do present a fundamental point.

I mean this in no offense. I am only trying to help a person who I can relate to.

32yrs • M •
And let me add one more thought.

If you read a previous post, you will notice that "Sticker" has discovered a clear conscience by idolizing an idealistic figure and following in his path: Albert Einstein.

It often times works out for people who fall in accordance with someone else, striving to better themselves using the ideas and exemplifications of another human being.

why continue? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy