I will always have the soft voice of the sea - Bob Yow Z!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Would society be better without money? - Page 3

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
trippy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Maybe I'm completely unrealistic, or just being too negative; but it just seems so many things are going in downard trends. I hear about people getting reemed in so many different ways, often people oblivious to it. Everyone seems to be zombies, so busy with their mundane daily 9-5 life. I guess in saying that, I'm generalizing though. But doesn't it seem like there is more and more "government, police and law" less and less freedom and it just happens to be the same with money, but it's as if there are so many people unwilling to admit there really is a problem. It is the way it is so it's ok? The only way not to be a slave is to be savages?

Why is it that our government has to borrow money at interest? Why is it that people can be totally obsessed with money, and not have the slightest clue as to how it really does work, not even wanting to know? Isn't government supposed to work for the people, not the other way around? Maybe I'm just asking useless questions? If they can print unlimited amounts of money into the economy for war, why can't they print money for free schools - true education, empirical and critical thinking; free of propaganda or doctrine, . Is that really too idealistic? lol edit: reading that again I guess the truth is sad and that is way too idealistic!

64yrs • M •
GM1258 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The trouble is that everything is manipulated.
Oil prices, food prices, currency, stock market, etc.
There isn't one part of the economy that isn't manipulated.
It's pretty obvious.
Pretty soon North America will switch to the Amero -
just like Europe switched to the Euro.
This will further devaluate what's left of an already weak dollar.
It's all part of globalzation efforts by the elite world powers.
The only ones who won't effected will be people
who go back to the land and barter.
I think we'll see more of this as we move further into
the 21st century.

"life is the childhood of our immortality"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its really whether you attach a positive or negative emotion to this. Mostly those who see this are taught by people who put a negative emotion on the fact. It isn't something I'd do.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
[  Edited by Jimbobby at   ]
 53yrs • F •
Jenny171 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
trippy, I liked everything you said. I believe a world without money is what we need. Some ask, why would people work so hard for everyone else. I say, we would all work less. First, how many jobs are there that only exist because of money? We would no longer need bank tellers, accountants, stock brokers or tax collectors just to name a few. Second, there are so many jobs out there that are just not needed. So, all of these people could go to work for companies that actually produce a product. Every company could employ any number of people since there would be no payroll budget to worry about. So, what if we each only needed to work 15 to 20 hours a week?
And, why are we even talking about taking any possessions away from anyone?

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm glad to hear you say that Jenny171...
It was one of the main points I was thinking of when I posted the first entry on the topic...
Just think of a world with less accountants... (Not that I dislike accountants... They just a bad name as being boring and that, and also that they often say it is boring work...)
No more jacked-up prices at convenience stores...
Less capitalisation on technologies that do worse for the earth than their alternatives...
And so on, and so on...

For those that disagree, what are your best arguments?

"There is no negative one..."
 53yrs • F •
Jenny171 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Here is an idea that I have...
We would not need a barter system because we have advanced beyond that with our technology. Each adult or possibly each head of the household would only be required to work a minimum number of hours per week. Let's say that number is 20 hours. Right now everyone who is employed legally has a Social Security number and their employment is tracked with this number. Everyone could be given a card that would work sort of like a debit card. At the end of the work week your employer would activate your card. You would then use this card to purchase anything you need or want over the next week. We could convert the current credit card system to work with this card.

Yes, everyone would have the same access to purchase anything regardless of the type of job they worked. Some may say that people would not like this because some people have more difficult jobs or that there are jobs that no one will be willing to do. I find this hard to believe. What job could be that difficult or bad, if it's only 20 hours per week and with it you can have everything you want?

Now, I know some are thinking that you can not just let everyone have everything they want, this would cause shortages and people would begin fighting over things. I could see that happening in the beginning, but over time just how much "Stuff" do we really need. I would love just to be able to have my own place to live, have enough food, clothes and heat for my kids and myself without having to struggle or work 60 hours a week. And, I can't be the only person who feels this way.

So basically, we would all have to trust that from week to week there will be enough products and that there would not be any need to hoard anything. I know it's not perfect.

I would love to hear other ideas.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That's communism... on steroids heh.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 53yrs • F •
That's communism... on steroids heh.

From dictionary.com
com·mu·nism /ˈkɒmyəˌnɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kom-yuh-niz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.
2. (often initial capital letter) a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party.
3. (initial capital letter) the principles and practices of the Communist party.

Indiviluals would still have ownership of their property, homes, cars and toothbrush.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, but individuals would identify less with the things they own. When you level out social classes you take away many aspects of people's self identity. You may personally own your belongings, but they end up being less important to you and who you are. All property becomes common to all people. Hence, communism on steroids. The totalitarian aspect would naturally arise due to the evil nature of certain individuals desiring some type of control. There is always desire for control.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Incas were perhaps the only civilization to function without money. They were something to behold argue many; but they are no longer here.

I have a sheep and want a goat. The guy I go to wants to get rid of his goat and get a horse. To get round this coins were invented to give the guy tokens for his goat so he can put this towards a horse. Simple.

Without money we'd still end up trading something because some people are adventurous.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's an interesting puzzle... difficult to think of society without money or even barter and trade...

My family is immigrant to this country from a country that is severly underdeveloped by comparison...

So how would a country like that continue to develop without money? or trade?

Well simply because we cease to use a currency doesn't mean things lose their value... just their SET values...

A free for all... a case by case basis... possession would not end because people will still have the ability to possess a thing...

or many things...

Hello human evil...

People will still group according to their desires whether good intentions or ill...

So danger will not cease but perhaps increase... because motivations would posibly shift to a new form of influence or power once you remove money...

Force...

Removing Money as a form of power... will leave a vaccume which must be filled by either Influence or Physical Force... there are no other forms of Power...

Power cannot be ignored...

Money merely represents human power... power in the fields of the farm transformed to crops then sold and transformed to cash... carried far off and traded for other goods and services...

It's organization...

It's not evil...

It IS THE LOVE OF MONEY

LOVE of money is the root of evil... you cant LOVE inanimate objects...

get it... a lot of people forget that part of the Proverb...

And because they do they end up hating the only source of their own liberation from pitiful struggles with unhappy lives...

People actually think that it's better to be poor... never having been rich ever...

How would they know with nothing to compare it to...?

Just by leaving out a very important thing... LOVE

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
 72yrs • M •
Uhmaybeu2 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Of what is money the symbol? Why is it called currency? What is its history? Questions only, I know. Given for further exchange.

""With what may the Devil not joke?""
 58yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fearless5555 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
For you people whom are missing the point about a moneyless society. It's only because you've grown accustomed to using it that makes it seem unrealistic living with out it. Just because you dont see it working doesn't mean it cant work. No more money means nothing costs anything. Meaning whatever it is your interested in you just do. GIVE, if there is no price or value then there is no greed or need to hurt, kill, or steal, everything for survival of humans has been perfected so what's the point of money? It's only a tool to control others. To separate humans from becoming whole. It's the product of fear fueled control. Sick, Greedy people so fearful themselves that they use it as a wall to keep out the so called animal in all of us. IF that's what civilization is then boy oh boy are they disillusioned.
Just because the people who continue to perpetuate the need for money, fear, and competition, amongst other humans to feel safe, have already established a system that maintains this constant status, are in power by means of capitalism, this doesn't mean its right or correct or even CIVIL for that matter. Just because we have the brains to realize that this is the case and see it for what it truly is "Slavery" doesn't mean we have to continue along its path. It's not illegal to be smart, its just more dangerous at this point in time. The idea is to open the minds of the silent majority and expose once an for all their shackles set upon them. Once this is exposed all will change with out a bloody revolution and Money will no longer be the driving force. The field will be leveled and we will wonder how we ever let it go on for so long.

Aloha RDM

The way of the How...... fearlessnotcareless.com

"Teach the people how to get along with one another because we already know how not to!"
 34yrs • M •
LoneByrd is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Money satisfies our desire for material posessions, money in itself is a materal posession for you can get whatever you need with it, therefore it's the ultimate material to have, thus satisfying the desire.

I think Communism could work, if the man in charge was fair to everyone, if you worked, you got what you need, if you didn't, you went without. If you were sick, you were able to rest until you could return.

It really just comes down to the leader, Communism could definately work, if everyone followed the rules and if the leader was fair to everyone. If it worked, they would most definately have an amazing economy and nation overall because everything would be under the knife and eye of the leader.

Citizens having a lot of freedom, like in America, good idea, but I believe American citizens have far too much power, they should have the right to speak their mind and express how they feel on certain things, but the government simply has to do somethings and then their nation gives them shit about it.

In my ideal nation, citizens could speak out and express what they mean, protestors will be shot ^_^! They can write a letter =]! (Then be assassinated.) XD Just kidding, as long as it comes through a letter, a message, a call that seems acceptable to me. Organizing people in protests, I find it pointless, if everyone from an organized protest sent a letter on what they wanted changed, I'm sure that'd make a difference as well.

Freedom = Power = Abuse = Chaos (= Ridiculous = Noobs)

~Byrd (The End.)

"Reality hits hard. Your perception hits it even harder."
 42yrs • M •
JeffBoswell is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
No.
We would just find another worthless object to obsess over, and lay the blame on, for our useless greed, and comparison.

Money is just a weed. You pull it up, and another one arrives shortly.

And yeah, it would be a perfect world if people worked only for contribution to the community. But many people now won't even work for the sake of their own benefit, they let someone else work for them.

Sorry to jump on your post so negatively.
I try to be as optimistic as I can possibly be, but I'd rather just see the logic in things.

Example: If you think people would work for free to give warmth and well being to the community, then you probably believe that there is more good than bad @ the core of humanity.

If all law enforcement went on strike for a year here in America, we'd probably realize how rotten our core is.

Sorry to rant!

"I am me"
Would society be better without money? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy