Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What one quality would make the world better? - Page 2

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that syrcadalena is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I wouldn't say religion itself is the root of all problems in society. Anything, whether it's religion or government or what, that either tells people that they're better than other people or tells people just to do what they're told, is just setting things up for trouble. I'm not saying organized religion is a good thing, but I don't think it's the root of all 'evil'. Maybe intolerance is, or any seperating force that causes people to perceive each other as different from themselves. Which brings me back to my original argument in favour of empathy.

But I entirely disagree that making everyone athiest would solve any problems. Maybe just the concept of everyone believing in the same thing promoting tolerance, but making everyone the same religion works just as well. Both have the same problem: surety(sp?). Religious people are sure of their religion just as atheists are sure that there is no higher power. Sureness and close-mindedness are promoted by most religions /and/ apathy. (There's always the exeption of Buddhism and more philosophical religions.) Which brings me back to my original argument in favour of skepticism. =P

Maybe agnosticism or some other set of believe that embraces the idea that you don't or can't know, but I wouldn't specifically center it around religion and so I stick with general skepticism.

After reading everything everyone else has to say and considering it, I think for the moment I'm sticking with my original two.

"For each time mankind progresses, man himself regresses."
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The only quality people need is a pure heart.

The evil in our hearts is the reason this world is so messed up.

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
nonretardedness (not talking about retards)

... seriously

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The only quality that everyone needs is wisdom. Argue about it all you want but I guarantee that if everyone had this quality we would have world peace.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One word- Tolerance. We're brought up to see things as right and wrong, religeon, government, friendships, competition, everything we currently fight over could be avoided through tolerance. Compassion also is right up there, those two things are what we need more of.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wisdom.. In a sense. You become tolerant of the waitress' mistakes when you have worked in a restraunt. The cops mistakes when you have been one. Stuff like that. Im not sure if that's wisodom, but whatever it is, thats the root.. Understanding I guess.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M
If you are wise then you understand everything. If you understand everything then you know the solution to every problem. If you know the solution to every problem then there are no problems. Eh? maybe?

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wormtownandy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wisdom may mean having a better understanding of things, but I don't think it means that you know every solution to every problem. Although, maybe if we were more wise we be better at working together to solve problems. I'll buy that.

36yrs • M
Maybe our definitions of wisdom differ. I don't see or yet I don't know of anyone on this earth that is truly wise. If a god were to exist, the creator of all life, I would say that he is wise as he has a complete understanding of everything. In this world, I think a person can only aspire to be wise, but not actually achieve the title of wise. Call me crazy.

38yrs • M •
I do disagree with your definition of wisdom, in that I don't see it as an absolute. I think that every person is wise to some degree, in that they have a basic understanding of how things work. Some obviously just have a better understanding than others. But let's say that wisdom is absolute, and that to be wise means to have complete understanding of everything. If everyone were wise, that would mean that there was nothing left to discover about the world. There would be no mystery left to anything. We would all know exactly when and how we are going to die, and what will happen to us after we die. I can't imagine that people would want to live in a world in which there was nothing left to know or do or discover.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I was answering Decius' qeustion.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 38yrs • M •
quote:
I was answering Decius' qeustion.

and we were talking about ChrisD's original post.

36yrs • M
So is it right to assume that if everyone were wise, by my definition, there would in fact be world peace? Also, isn't it the life of a philosopher to discover the unknown? What if you were to succeed then? Would you kill yourself?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The bad is what makes the good so good and the good is what makes the bad so bad. Without bad things you will never appreciate the good things in life. People need to take in the good as well as the bad.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wisdom wouldnt solve anything. Give a kid stealing nuts and bolts from a railway line wisdom, he will come back and steal the whole railway line.

Wisdom would only make us more sophisticated in perpetrating evil!!!

A pure heart is mans greatest need, and only Jesus can give that to you!

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
What one quality would make the world better? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy