Don't believe your eyes, don't believe your ears, don't believe anything that you are, were, or think you will be. For if you do, you shall sure fall into my trap, and I shall kill you slowly under these illusions. - Aubrey Asylum
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Problem of Evil - Page 9

User Thread
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Romach is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The theist has had two millenia to analyze these beliefs, yet holds firm to theodicies. It's probably time to rethink one's notion of God and of God's relation to humanity.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmm . . . ya, I think that is how the story goes? Let's see?
quote:
foresight to see what Satan was going to do, but because he just wanted to prove a point.
Yes, I think is suppose to be aware of Satan's goal.
Yes, does seem that Job had a good and bless life until?
quote:
And to whom was God proving a point...to Satan? "He won't curse me to my face if I stop protecting him...

then everything went to pot [sh*t] in a really, really big way!
[weren't for bad luck he had no luck at all]
Ever hear the saying into every life, the rain is going to fall?
So he (Job) had his dazes of hardship he endured.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 48yrs • M •
Yes...yes, cturtle, and the argument goes 'round and 'round. *And to what end did he endure?
*To the end that he was better than before.
*So evil done makes one better. Well, then, evil is good, and the more evil done, the better. Because as Nietzsche says, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Then, there should be more Nazis in the world, not less, testing our wills to survive. That would make us stronger.

48yrs • M •
So, cturtle, I encourage you to keep quoting me. Perhapse it will eventually lead you to an understanding of where you hold firm to theodicies. Let me properly define it so I'm not accused of being a pompous ass for that reason.
Main Entry: the-od-i-cy
Pronunciation: thE-'ä-d&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: modification of French théodicée, from théo- the- (from Latin theo-) + Greek dikE judgment, right -more at DICTION
Date: 1797
: defense of God's goodness and omnipotence in view of the existence of evil
["theodicy." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2004. http://www.merriam-webster.com (29 Nov. 2004).]

48yrs • M •
And to think, if God exists, and he is omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect, he could have created a world in which I was not a jerk
*That's your choice.
*Ah, but if God created the world with no evil, then I would have no choice at all but to be good.

48yrs • M •
That was hillarious.

72yrs • M •
quote:
So, cturtle, I encourage you to keep quoting me. Perhapse it will eventually lead you to an understanding of where you hold firm to theodicies
Actually I would have to point out that this very arguement is in the NT. being spoken by a disciple or possiblely an apostle.
(kind of vague, don't keep up with bible scripture
as I once did).

48yrs • M •
I've said it before, there's much in the Bible that's strictly moralistic and does not have any double standards regarding God and man, is strictly moralistic and has double standards, is entirely mythical, or is true. All of these elements are present. The elements that are moralistic without double standards and the elements that are true, however, tend to be the least referenced for some reason.

72yrs • M •
quote:
there's much in the Bible that's strictly moralistic and does not have any double standards regarding God and man,
quote:
there's much in the Bible that's strictly moralistic and has double standards,

quote:
there's much in the Bible that's entirely mythical,
or
quote:
there's much in the Bible that's true.
quote:
The elements that are moralistic without double standards and the elements that are true,
however, tend to be the least referenced for some reason.

Ya, I like it! Oh, about those verses they generally started with something like heaven or God forbid.

48yrs • M •
I don't know why I'm responding, cturtle. Maybe...oh, sick curiosity I guess. So, is the reason that you're so vague because you're a passive aggressive? And, if it is the case that you are a passive aggressive, what is the source of your aggressiveness? Is it your theistic virtue, your moral code, your ehtical drive? Or, perhaps you are simply depressed, have found your peace with your religion, are upset about that boat being rocked, and are taking your aggression out on the person who's rocking that boat. Here's a suggestion: try conversation instead of snide remarks.

72yrs • M •
Sorry, romach. the New Testaments makes this same arguement that if evil brings forth good then (Heaven forbid) we should go out & do evil that God's grace should abound.
So are am sorry if I don't defend christian beliefs by giving you book & verse but to an extent most wouldn't look, those who know these need only be reminded besides if anything I not to friendly toward christians. I have had my own misdealing with them & found some every bit as wanting of 'human compassion' as most non-christians as a group.

72yrs • M •
As to my belief in the creator? My understanding is that Spirit gave the capacity to do [tun] that which you will strive (good or evil).

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Quoting is necessary to prove the statement was read before it was replied to, I have not written a scientific research paper nor a political essay not including references and primary resources. Otherwise I'd be talking out of my ass and my opinion would..fail my paper.

But see, philosophy's fun because everyone's inherently wrong since absolute truth doesn't exist. So it's okay.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
Quoting is necessary to prove the statement was read before it was replied to, I have not written a scientific research paper nor a political essay not including references and primary resources.
Yes, I know what you mean like I was putting up a site, dealing with physics. I used extensive referencing only to find that it seemed others felt I was unable to put original work.
somrtimrs it is hard to know when a reference is needed or not? I guess it would depend upon those with whom you are discussion is with, say if I was at some christian churchs then reference is would be absolutely neccessary but in non christians would might not be desirable?
quote:
Here's a suggestion: try conversation instead of snide remarks . . . The elements that are moralistic without double standards and the elements that are true, however, tend to be the least referenced for some reason.

Like when some Christians justify war! They give OT quotes but looking at the NT, never taught such principles, in fact in many cases He (Jesus) actually taught a totally opposite or at best different principle.
( The seldom [least] used reference?)

48yrs • M •
It makes perfect sense why Jesus taught peace, justice, and kindness, cturtle. He was a Jew.

The Problem of Evil - Page 9
  5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy