Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The right to dress provocatively? - Page 2

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that think4yourself is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here's another one..

"I have a friend who travels a lot late at night, I always tell her to be careful, most of the time, I drop her off myself. I've asked her to try out self-defense classes, but no, she believes if she gets attacked, it's part of her destiny, and there is nothing she can do"

Destiny!?

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think these are the kinds of people that will not learn the idocy of what they are saying until something happens to them.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 48yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that brann22 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe you should dress for were you are going. Dont dress all freaky just anytime. I live in Vegas and if your on the strip at night you better not have to many clothes on, or going to clubs. Never walk alone with those clothes on and get pepper spray if you are clubbing or walking wearing the clothes. I have a prob. with people wearing those clothes just for anything.

"Why try so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out!!"
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The question should be this, why can't the criminal restrain themselves.
How another dresses is not the real issue, but the person who commits a violent act against them. The perpetrator has other issues besides being made to lust.
Normal men tend to appreciate, but not become an animal.
If they have this tendency, it's best they get locked up. For sometimes, its not about the dress, it is about complete hate for women.

They are time bombs, and they are the ones with the problem. Although women can be attacked for wearing a crewneck sweater too. Its just an excuse. They will go so far as to say it's the way 'she' walked. Just lame excuses for a real problem within.

Take out the trouble makers, then discuss the inappro dress behavior for other reasons. Not because of a jerk without self restraint. Just IMO.

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 56yrs • F •
"Is he going to pick someone wearing jeans and a tshirt? Or will he pick someone wearing a mini skirt?"

Actually, the criminal mind is not always about dress. But they can pick somone dressed like a nun, if they have the mind to. Its the ones who dress provocatively, who get the attention in the courts. It is the defensive OFFEND.
They can be dressed in a maxi, its all about the twisted perverted mind, as you call it, but really, perversion is not the motive. It is sheer hatred and power that makes them attack.

AND women of all ages and dress are attacked. For instance, grandmas have been attacked and raped in their own homes.

WHY?

Its not about how anyone dresses, but becomes an issue only in court...and if they were dressed decently, they will still be shown as a promiscuois women.

Sorry, it's just a load of BS that people are gullible to believe.

I just don't believe dresses have anything to do with it. Look up about rapists. They have deep psycholigical problems.....and sometimes may choose a woman dressed in this manner. FOR the simple reason they will have a motive...ya getting where I am?

They will strike to strike....and dressing in this manner isnt the reason. AND should not be the very thing that they get away with it for. The courts need to get rid of that lame excuse, and delve into the background of the defendent and not the victim.

56yrs • F •
I would then say, Decius, you have no idea of what a rapist thinks. LOL

Its not about the woman, and her looks, it is a violent tendency stems from hate for a woman, and all she stands for. It is a power play, and not a provocation.

Its good you have no idea tho. Whew.

61yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that kooky is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Are you saying that a sexy, modelesque woman is as likely to be raped as a fat unhealthy one?

I say size doesn't matter to many rapists. Rape is not about sexual attraction and is not considered a crime of passion. Rape is a crime of violence and power. We hear of little old grandmothers being rape victims.

I worked for a domestic violence center years ago and responded to crisis calls for both rape and DV. According to research, rapists look for a certain type of person and are good at reading people. For example, how one carries themselves and such. Many victims of violence are repeatedly reassaulted over the course of a lifetime by different perps.

As for dressing provocatively...it is an attention getter! Often not for the best reasons. Could lead to date rape possibly in some circumstances. Not sure if it is any more likely in stranger rape.

56yrs • F •
So, I did study something worthwhile. EH?
LOL. Thanks Kooky. I did read that too. Its not about the looks
per say, but the hate and violence.

61yrs • F •
You had good points too Patrish.

Some people dress that way because they do want the looks and comments.

61yrs • F •
I don't think we have claimed to know all, just stated that as a victim of rape myself and a therapist who has worked with victims of rape, I had some experience in this area.

I don't agree that rape is about a person's femininity. It is about overpowering her and control. It is an act of violence! The arousal comes from the dominance of the act. It is not about sexuality although serial rapists may prefer a certain type of woman. Rape is frequently a hate crime as well, stranger or not. I think there are many misconceptions out there.

Many women who are raped are "plain" and in regular clothing such as jeans and a tee shirt. Women victims may not be someone you or I would consider anything special.
Regardless of what one is wearing, no one deserves to be raped.

Men do get raped also, although we hear about it less frequently. Especially in prisons. I did get crisis calls from men. One man was victimized when his inmates learned he was homosexual. They took turns ejaculating into a cup and then forced him to drink it. This poor guy was terribly traumatized.

60yrs • F •
bluejeanbaby is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
A woman can be sexy in any clothing. However, there are times when I like to dress up and wear more provocative things, because it's nice to feel feminine and sexy and my man likes it when I do. During those times, you should be obviously aware of the fact that you are more of a target for a sexual predator and act accordingly. Stay in groups, and keep your eyes and ears open.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, I would hope none of us are rapists on this site, and therefore all of us are basically oblivious to what a rapist thinks.However. if we look at this issue with analogies, you may see it all the more easier. (For the sake of this argument consider your gun is powerful enough to take out any animal)

If you were hunting animals, and you had a deer, a rabbit, and a moose, which animal would you shoot?

Well, you would probably go for the easiest kill, in this case being the moose. He is the slowest and most likely the most cumbersome, not to mention the largest target. Think of this as an overweight, out of shape woman in the eyes of a rapist. She will not provide much resistance due to her athletic capabilities (or lackthereof), and to many rapists this may be very appealing.

If you decided to go for the deer, probably the second easiest kill, then you would be facing more of a challenge than that of the moose. If you miss your opportunity with the deer, you might lose it immediately. However, the deer is still not the quickest animal (in this example) and may prove only a slight resistance to the rapist.Think of this as an older woman aged 35-50, probably unsuspecting and somewhat susceptible to rape.

But even still, if you pursued the quickest of the animals, the challenging kill- the rabbit, you may face some difficulties. This is the quickest of all women, the most physically fit, who may even overpower a lesser man at any given time. I doubt most rapists are physically fit, for if they were they would probably not have trouble finding a woman for themselves.

Basically, I hope this provides a different theory as to what a rapist may think when choosing victims. The bigger they are, the easier to rape in most regards, because they will not outrun the rapist because of their size. The smaller the person, the more physically fit (for example purposes), and the more difficult to rape. Does this make any sense to you guys? I hope so? It kind of flips the tables about raping overweight women or thinner, more attractive women a bit, because many rapists only do it for the pleasure and not for the woman's looks.

"He who refuses to seek will never learn"
 65yrs • F •
WildRover is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
EVERYONE is making a fundamental mistake in this debate: That being that we are trying to apply rational thought to an irrational process.
Mysogeny, control, violent compulsions are what they are... and they usually go for crime of opportunity. There is, IMO, no such thing as "random" crime. SOMETHING singles one out over another in the attacker's mind.. AS an opportune victim or an opportunity to be created.
I would tend to lean more towards the one who posted regarding "be aware of your surroundings" , avoid high-risk situations, and when you are out and around, MOVE like you have purpose. If you appear timid or fearful, or aggressive, any extreme either way, you WILL catch the attention of a predator if one is there, either as a challenge or an easy mark.

37yrs • M •
I agree with alot of what you said, but there's one problem with it I think. What about the predators who set their sights on a particular person, a person they may have known for awhile, stalk her.....and then rape her? What could she have done to prevent that situation? Perhaps she DOESNT even know him, or has ever seen him before?

37yrs • M •
But decius, aren't you thinking with a bias? Wouldn't EVERY father want his daughter to wear jeans instead of a mini skirt WHEREVER she was going?

The right to dress provocatively? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy