What is it really that motivates you? The need to fly or the fear to stop? - Attolia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

I don't really like the judicial system

User Thread
 25yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ravenclaw is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The reason I don't like the judicial system is because it is often based on the idea of "deserving" - like bad people "deserve" to go to jail. But good people don't "deserve" to pay for it by having their lives in danger when the prisoner is released, or by having their tax money pay for it when the prisoner is in jail. Sending them to jail doesn't always help and when they get out again, they aren't exactly going to repent their crimes and lead a life of kindness and virtue. The only useful thing about jail is that it temporarily keeps criminals out of the way and it might make some people feel guilty for their crimes, but the worst criminals are kinda past the point of forgive & forget, if you haven't noticed.

People seem to think that we punish people because they deserve it, when what they should really be thinking about is how you can make the person fit better into society and not harm people. If they have a mental health issue (which happens pretty often - and insurance doesn't usually pay for mental health, and we are not going to discuss my dislike of the fact that nobody seems to think mental health is important, it's just "crazy people and all that stuff" then it needs to be addressed, not have the person sent to jail either with a life sentence, which contributes to prison overpopulation, or a shorter sentence, which would threaten people's safety when they go back and probably not help at all.

70yrs • M •
THX 1137 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Actually, most judgments involve fines.

This does not answer your proposition, it simply brings the question of monetary position into the thread.

Given what you have proposed here, this would mean that those who 'have' are deserving. Those who don't are not.

It also suggests that those who go to jail are those who do not have the money to get out.

25yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ravenclaw is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not saying there are people who deserve and people who don't, I'm saying that if people are going to suggest that certain people deserve to go to jail, they can't suggest that other people deserve to pay for that- that's why it's self-contradictory to send people to jail.

It does make sense for there to be fines for certain things like not obeying traffic rules because that makes people want to obey traffic rules because they don't want to pay for a ticket. But fines are still based on the idea that you deserve to pay a certain amount of money for what you did.

64yrs • M •
Rodin is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Western Judicial systems tend to run on 4 basically incompatible and usually confused purposes.
1) Revenge or retribution to satisfy victims.
2) Deterrence punitive sentencing to put off criminals.
3) Prevention. Incarceration to prevent recidivism.
3) Rehabilitation.

It's easy enough to see how these aims do not always achieve a result that leads to a lower crime rate, or that would prevent repetition of criminal activity of the perpetrator.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The judicial system does not punish anyone. It simply sends them to prison where they longer have to worry about paying the rent, cooking three meals a day or holding a job! And they get a free, lifetime gym membership.

That's not punishment. That's FREEDOM!

70yrs • M •
THX 1137 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
BHU, be serious. Prison is not the fluff you describe. Prison is the last place you want to be. It certainly does not entertain any notion of freedom.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy