A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking - Restless Mind
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
This is a relatively healthy recipe, it contains 1/2 a cup of butter and next time I make it I might experiment by replacing that with a healthier oil. Also, with sugar, you can replace all of the sugar with xylitol if you like.

These cookies are quite yummy, the first batch I ever made was finished by my family the same day. They don't take long to make and I'm sure you could try variations like adding dried fruits or nuts to it.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup xylitol
1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
a dash of nutmeg (optional)
1 cup uncooked quick rolled oats
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Variation:
Add 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or whatever nuts you please

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
2) Combine the sugars in an electric mixer (or with whip fast with a fork if you don't take a mixer).
3) Cream the sugars with the softened butter.
4) Add in the egg, vanilla, and milk. Cream until smooth.
5) In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if using). Add slowly to the wet mixture until incorporated.
6) Once smooth, stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
7) Using a teaspoon or a small ice cream/cookie scoop, drop rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
8) Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. (The longer you cook the crunchier/harder the cookies will be. I cook mine for 13 minutes.)
9) Place the cookies on a wire rack until cook (or eat them warm!).
10) Enjoy!

PS- For batch in the picture below I didn't have chocolate chips so I used chocolate buttons instead and unlike chips, buttons seem to melt into the cookie more. That's why you can't see any of the chocolate bits.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Could you replace the xylitol with honey? If so, how much?

42yrs • F •
You could, xylitol is basically a replacement for sugar, so if you don't have it you can replace it with white sugar. As for honey, I've never tried it but I'me sure you could try. Here's some info I found in regards to replacing sugar with honey:
quote:
Some minor adjustments may need to be made to a recipe when substituting honey for sugar:

1. Use equal amounts of honey for sugar up to one cup. Over one cup, replace each cup of sugar with 2/3 to 3/4 cup over honey depending upon the sweetness desired.

2. Lower the baking temperature 25 degrees and watch your time carefully since products with honey brown faster.

3. In recipes using more than one cup honey for sugar, it may be necessary to reduce liquids by 1/4 cup per cup of honey.

4. In baked goods, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of honey if baking soda is not already included in the recipe. This will reduce the acidity of the honey, as well as increase the volume of your product.

Moisten a measuring spoon or cup first with water, oil, or an egg before measuring the honey to prevent it from sticking to the measuring utensil.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Works well with honey. Thanks.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy