Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Healthy: Buckwheat, Banana & Vanilla Protein Pancakes

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
I found this recipe that sounds quite yummy and I want to try it out. If someone else tries it first let me know how it was!

Ingredients: (makes 6 pancakes, 3 serves)
1 banana, mashed
1 cup of buckwheat flour
1 scoop of low carb vanilla protein powder
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (I use the Blue Diamond brand)
4 large egg whites
1 tbs extra virgin coconut oil (to oil the pan)
3 heaped tbs of Non-fat or low-fat unflavoured greek yoghurt, to serve (I used the Chobani brand)
3 tsp of agave syrup, honey or all-natural maple syrup, to serve

Method:
1) In a bowl, combine the banana, buckwheat flour, protein powder and almond milk and mix or blend well.
2) Next, mix in the egg whites until all combined.
3) Heat a little coconut oil in a pan over medium heat.
4) Take about 1/2 a cup of the pancake mix and pour into the pan, moving the pan around to create a round shape.
5) Cook until bubbles form on top (about 2 minutes) and then flip and cook on the other side for an additional minute or 2, or until cooked through.
6) Serve with the greek yoghurt and a drizzle of agave syrup, honey or maple syrup.

Nutritional info, per serve: 312 calories, 42g carbs, 7g fat, 17g protein, 11g sugar (apparently this is a carb heavy meal)

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 42yrs • F •
So I tried out the recipe - with some variations as I didn't have a few of the exact ingredients. Instead of buckwheat flour I used wholewheat flour; instead of almond milk I used skim milk and I used chocolate flavored whey protein powder instead of vanilla protein powder.

For serving I used greek yogurt with honey as suggested - I was very surprised at how much I liked this combo. You definitely need the honey to go with the yogurt, but the yogurt itself gives a really refreshing twist to eating pancakes.

The pancakes themselves are great - really filling in a healthy, nutritious way. Usually pancakes with syrup ends up feeling too rich and it's more like a desert than a breakfast. These pancakes you could have anytime and it's a great high protein, balanced carb meal. Excellent workout food.

And the recipe is pretty accurate - one batch will give you 6 pancakes if you use about 1/2 a cup of batter for each pancake. You could serve 3 pancakes per person but 2 is enough imo,

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
[  Edited by Dawn at   ]
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Inata is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ooh I tried these today and they were really yum.
I've got a quite similar recipe for vegan banana muffins that are really healthy and I've been making these for a while and eating the bor breakfast.

Fat free apple banana muffins:
Ingredients:

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups apple juice
1 apple, diced
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Lightly grease the muffin pan and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine baking powder, flour and sugar in a large bowl. Add the juice, diced apples and banana mash and stir until smooth.
pour everything into the muffin pan and put in oven.
Wait for delicious muffins!
I tried it without the sugar and added some frozen fruits like raspberries mixed into the batter as well and it was delicious.

These are delcious, easy to make and best of all healthy!

Original Recipe is from vegetarian.about

"“The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.” – Bill Copeland"
[  Edited by Inata at   ]
 42yrs • F •
That's awesome that you tried the pancakes! Did you use the original recipe or did you alter it at all?

I'll try your banana muffin recipe sometime - I love banana cake but the amount of sugar that usually goes in that is too much. That's great that you tried this without sugar - I will definitely try this sometime! The original recipe says to bake for 35-45 minutes - did you have to alter this time frame at all?

35yrs • M
Vincent888 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Good recipe for the banana and vanilla pancakes.
I like your this recipe a lot.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy