The clowns paint their faces - Bob Yow Z!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Green Tea and Cancer

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
Green Tea and Cancer
For a long time the possible anti-cancer agents of green tea have been talked about, explored and people consume green tea as a preventative measure.

Now amazing new research at the University of Strathclyde, scientists used an extract from green tea (epigallocatechin gallate) to eliminate 40 percent of human skin cancer tumors through their laboratory based tests:
quote:
In the tests, on two different types of skin cancer, 40% of both types of tumour vanished, while 30% of one and 20% of another shrank. A further 10% of one of the types were stabilised.
http://www.strath.ac.uk/press/newsreleases/headline_648791_en.html

I am skeptical though about administering specific concentrated extracts, but if studies prove that there are no side effects, then such discoveries could perhaps lead to curing other types of cancer, not just skin cancer.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Inata is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think this is really interesting. A few studies have also shown that an incresed intake in green tea (about 3 or 4 cups a day) can greatly reduce the risk of different types of cancer. For example an increased green tea intake reduces the chances of lung cancer by 18%.
I have been reading up on that because I am a great teadrinker and have been constantly going back and forth between green and black tea and now decided on green tea since reduced cancer risk is not the only benefit.

It also boosts the immune system especially the antibodies IgA and IgD which help prevent the common cold, flu and cough. I mean I used to get vaccines but they are either processed antibodies from animals like cusabio or dead or not functioning parts of viruses. Trying to boost my immune system in general gives me a good feeling.

You said you were skeptical of using concentrated extracts, why is that? And what do you think of increasing an intake in green tea in general.

"“The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.” – Bill Copeland"
 42yrs • F •
quote:
You said you were skeptical of using concentrated extracts, why is that?

In regards to concentrated extracts, whereby a specific molecular part of the plant is isolated, my concern is that our bodies may have adverse reactions, perhaps over time, to being dosed with such concentrates. Where although there maybe fairly immediate positive results from the extract, as a result of it being administered in it's non-natural form, that form may have other repercussions that affect other areas/functions of our bodies. Whereas if the same product is administered naturally, there may be other elements within the naturally occurring form that aid in overall physiological stability within our bodies. From an evolution point of view, our bodies have developed by living of the land - and so although in the last century we've found scientific ways of isolating compounds that clinically prove to have positive results, our bodies are still evolved to perform optimally through the natural 'living of the land' mechanisms. So this is the basis of my skepticism, that although the extract proves to solve one problem, because it is not in it's natural form and our bodies have evolved eating and drinking nutrients in their un-extracted forms, that side effects and repercussions need to be very carefully and intelligently investigated.
quote:
And what do you think of increasing an intake in green tea in general.

I think green tea can have some very powerful positive effects on the body - but you have to be careful with how much you consume as it also has caffeine and too much caffeine of course is not good for you and can have an addictive effect. I drink decaffeinated green tea sometimes - I still have not made it a consistent part of my daily intake because I have an aversion to it sometimes as it causes me to go through somewhat of a detox and speeds up my metabolism in a way where I feel hungry more often. This is probably a short term effect that my body would normalize to if I were consistent, but atm my life is a little to stressful for me to worry about going through that process. But overall, I think consuming green tea regularly is a good thing - decaffeinated seems better but I can't say that conclusively yet as I haven't looked into whether drinking decaffeinated green tea versus non-decaffeinated is less potent. I personally don't think it is less because of the detox/faster metabolism effect I experience from drinking decaffeinated.

Another example of green tea's powerful qualities is that it is a natural anti-histamine. A few years ago I had a severe allergic response to consuming bad yogurt - my entire body broke out in a red patches of painful and extremely itchy inflammation. In the course of trying to find a natural cure before for some immediate relief, my friend made very strong green tea for me and I drank maybe a pot full of it. A few hours later the inflammation began to subside. However because I drank so much strong green tea, the caffeine created a very bad side effect for me as I couldn't fall asleep yet at the same time I became very mentally/physically drowsy. It was terrible. In the end it was a round of antibiotics that helped cure my symptoms.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 52yrs • M •
jorgealarcon is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
These are encouraging studies

Green Tea and Cancer
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy