We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

BeautyBum

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
BeautyBum
A few months ago I went down to the gym in my building and I was surprised to see this really really hot person there with her friend (both females). The hottie was wearing a very tiny and shiny bikini set with clear high heels. Yeah, not what you expect to see at the gym. Turns out she was using the mirrored wall in the gym to practice her walking technique. I asked them if they were strippers, and no they weren't, they told me they were 'athletes' who compete in 'bikini class' body building competitions. I kept staring at this girl's body, her ass, her stomach, her no fat body. She was very hot. I talked to them for a little bit whilst using the treadmill and then they got back to their chatting and practicing the walk. The bikini girl was practicing in preparation for her first competition, and the other girl who was more experienced, kept giving her tips and advice.

At one point whilst they were getting ready to leave, they started talking about something called 'Beauty Bum' and how they couldn't live without it, how important it is and how they use it.

I found out that BeautyBum is an 'Anti-Cellulite/Muscle Toning Lotion' and I found numerous rave reviews about it, including reviews by other body building women. I actually wanted to buy and and try it out.

Until I read one review by a woman who was heavily trying to steer other women away from using the product, stating that it contains cancer causing 'parabens':
quote:
There are parabens in this lotions. Parabens can lead to breast cancer, Ladies. Do your research. When I did finally interact witha customer service, I asked about the effects of parabens and the rep avoided directly answering and gave me a boxed reply about their product. I know for a fact that BF uses these reviews, because I subscribed to their page on Facebook and interacted with a rep and she posted about the reviews. To the BF reps, please stop misleading people about this product. Parabens definitely has been proven to have negative effects on the body. I know it's all about a profit, but at least be honest about what you're selling. Although, this product may work for some of these ladies, what they fail to realize is that they're possibly setting themselves up to get breast cancer.

Turns out that BeautyBum has methylparaben and propylparaben in it. Here's the full ingredient list:
quote:
Deionized Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Soybean Oil, Glycerin, Carnitine, Caffeine, Coenzyme A, Coenzyme Q, Ethoxydiglycol, Sambucus, Nigra Flower Extract, Sodium Polyacrylate, Butylene Glycol, PEG 8, Bupleurum Falcatum Extract, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Isopropyl Palmitate, PEG-40 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid and Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E).

Some information from wikipedia:
quote:
Average levels of 20 nanograms/gram of parabens have been detected in a small sample of 20 breast tumors
quote:
The lead researcher of the UK study, molecular biologist Philippa Darbre, reported that the ester-bearing form of the parabens found in the tumors indicate that they came from something applied to the skin, such as an underarm deodorant, cream or body spray, and stated that the results helped to explain why up to 60% of all breast tumors are found in just one-fifth of the breast - the upper-outer quadrant, nearest the underarm
A 2004 study at Northwestern University found that an earlier age of breast cancer diagnosis related to more frequent use of antiperspirants/deodorants and underarm shaving.[17] "I personally feel there is a very strong correlation between the underarm hygiene habits and breast cancer," said immunologist Dr. Kris McGrath, the author of the study.

quote:
Methylparaben is produced naturally and found in several fruits, primarily blueberries, along with other parabens. There is controversy about whether methylparaben or propylparabens are harmful at concentrations typically used in body care or cosmetics. Some studies of breast tumors show a build up of methylparabens in the breast tissue. Methyparaben is also estrogenic. Methylparaben and propylparaben are considered generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for food and cosmetic antibacterial preservation. Methylparaben is readily metabolized by common soil bacteria, making it completely biodegradable.
Methylparaben is readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract or through the skin. It is hydrolyzed to p-hydroxybenzoic acid and rapidly excreted in urine without accumulating in the body. Acute toxicity studies have shown that methylparaben is practically non-toxic by both oral and parenteral administration in animals. In a population with normal skin, methylparaben is practically non-irritating and non-sensitizing; however, allergic reactions to ingested parabens have been reported.[8] Methylparaben is not carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic or embryotoxic; in addition, it is negative in the uterotrophic assay.

quote:
Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin may react with UVB, leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage.

From other sources:
quote:
A report in the January-February 2004 issue of the Journal of Applied Toxicology states that when several breast tumors were examined by researchers, high levels of methylparaben were found in the tissues.

quote:
The January 2009 issue of Reproductive Toxicology reports that there is a probable interaction between parabens and the health and activity of cells in the testes, meaning a possible decrease in sperm production in males.

Needless to say, I'm no longer interested in this product. If it works which it may very well, it comes at a price that anyone who values their health will understand is not worth risking.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 54yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ophion Roth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Fell through the looking glass and cannot seem to find my way beyond."
 54yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ophion Roth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good luck. Is my point.

"Fell through the looking glass and cannot seem to find my way beyond."
BeautyBum
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy