Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What do you do to keep fit?

User Thread
 31yrs • F •
biancablue is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'd like to know if most people go to the gym to stay fit or do other stuff? I can't afford going to the gym so I'm looking for ideas.

39yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Geisha is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey biancablue, even though I go to the gym, in all seriousness, unless you want to do weight lifting, you don't need to go to the gym. I like running and so many times I skip gym and just go for a nice run instead. Running outside is really invigorating.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rainman05 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Eating healthy and jogging 4-5x a week.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that SomeKindaCyan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is available on youtube if you're looking for a structured work out. You can also pick ten different exercises and do circuit training in your home...doing each one for as long as you can and try to improve your over all times. There's a lot of resources out there for at home work outs that even include strength...like using cans or jugs in place of weights.

""Dying's easy; living's hard." -Wilson"
 42yrs • F •
I've been and currently am going to the gym like mad - my health went downhill during a period of prolonged hardship in my life and so now want to get back to my old self. I joined a gym mainly basically for the group fitness classes that they offer. Each class is an hour long and atm I go to at least two of them a day on weekdays. The reason I like these classes is that I don't have to think about anything while I'm there. I don't have to decide what to do or deal with my mind becoming bored on a treadmill. I just follow whatever the fitness instructor leads. I actually really enjoy it because they really amp you up with good music and once you get the hand of different moves you can challenge yourself by pushing yourself harder.

I've also started a using a boxing bag and when I don't go to the gym I work out at home with that. I also like doing weight training and try to fit that in when I can.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that andrula is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I work out at the gym now as my friend has paid a year's membership for me, though when I didnt get this I had to be creative.
I train 6 times a week. So during the week I would train straight after work, run around a park close by and find stairs that I could power through. On the weekends I used to take my dogs for 10km walks. I also trained during work, every hour I would complete 20 sit ups and 20 squats. Before you know it you have done 160 squats and 160 sit ups for the day. As this gets a bit boring after a while, I started going to the gym and completing the free trials. The gyms offer 1 day to 7 day free trial pass, imagine all the gyms around you. Thats nearly 3 months worth. Get creative - do not make excuses!

56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that HissyFit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I do stairs... as I live in a highrise and it's very convenient. That and just lots of walking, plus whatever I feel motivated to do in front of the tv when the urge hits me.

42yrs • F •
Stairs is an excellent exercise - when I used to live in an apartment I used to climb 20 floors just for the sake of exercising. And if it starts getting easy you just go another set and you feel murdered just like the first time you did it.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that CooJaye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am thinking of stopping my gym membership or pausing it as my gym lets me do that for a few months out of the year if I want to.

I still play competitive sports in local leagues (I do rugby and basketball) and I coach both sports. For a time I was really involved in adult softball leagues, too which is a lot of fun. So after practicing or playing games a few times a week (and coaching when it's that season) I find that I've done more outside the gym than I would have before the gym.

I hate running but I have been trying to push myself to do new things. Last year I entered my first organized run ever and it was a half marathon. I had never done even a 5k race but I really wanted to get in better shape over the summer and push myself to do something new. I spent all summer running and training and pushing myself. I wouldn't have done that if I weren't signed up for the half marathon. I also did a local group fun run thing where we needed to push a decorated cart around the town and we practiced that often, too. This year I'm doing a 10k with people from work in addition to the usual sports I do. I know for me, i need to have a goal to keep me motivated and it usually works when other people are involved. I'm pretty bad at just doing it for myself.

I don't know what kind of person you are (solo or group exercise person) but you can find plenty of options outside the gym. if you like gym things, maybe invest in some free weights or resistance bands and other things like that and find exercises online. There are loads of them!

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy