Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is Love?

User Thread
 40yrs • F •
Adrianna is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What is Love?
Sorry if this topic already exists somewhere, I don't have the patience to look for them because I'm feeling confused right now.

I've been with my boyfriend for almost two years and we've basically been in love for a while. But because of some stuff that's happened in our personal lives, we're been really stressed lately to the point where we've been snapping at each other a lot. It's been like this for about a month now and sometimes I feel like I would rather not be around him.

But feeling this way just doesn't make sense and I'm starting to feel like I don't know what love is anymore.

I mean really - if love is something that just seems strong and good at the start of a relationship, then what is love really?

49yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Waterdrop is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hi. I am not an expert in the matters though I know many girls of your age come through it. So, you are frustrated now. It happens. You need a time. Love is incorrigible and naughty substance. It goes away for a while and then returns (either giving you the same or another chance/try).

Strong relationships you're saying about are based on devotion. If someone of two (or both, but one eventually starts it due to some reasons) is idle to devote oneself to another, such relationships can not last for long. The devotion has multi facets.

First of all, physical and spiritual unity (I don't set the Thames on fire in the case). Ask yourself then: 1. Would I like to have children from my boy-friend (would he)? 2. Can I live with him for 10-20-30 years? 3. Can I/he forgive him/you? 4. What unites us? 5. Do I get relevant amount of genuine emotions?

If you are still at a loss to answer yourself to the questions then it is not love. Move further. Search. Avoid feminism and celibacy. It's dangerous as may lose your femininity. A lot can be said afterwards. I'm really sorry for you. Take care of yourself. And remember this trivial thing - love is inside of us.

59yrs • M •
JHuber is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hate - excessive antipathy

Love - excessive empathy (desire to support)

49yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ill_llI is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There are different types of love. What you are seeking is probably agape love which is the type of love between mother and child. What you have between gf and bf, however, is romantic love. Romantic love causes doubts, confusion and misery. If you want perfect happiness in a romantic relationship then become a lesbian.

"The birds have their nests in the trees and the foxes have their holes in the ground, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest His head."
 39yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Geisha is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love is something that should be a spiritual connection, but we ordinary people make a mess out of it because we let social media and movies confuse our understanding of it. So we end up making many different styles of what we call love.

Maybe you should go back and ask yourself, what did you think love was at the start of your relationship - then see if it's still the same now. Maybe your initial rules about love were wrong.

45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Baby Don't Hurt me...

Seriously though. Long time no been here. Can we narrow the definition just a touch. Romantic love? Emotional? Sexual, complex etc.

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
 40yrs • F •
Adrianna is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Waterdrop = I'm going to have to take some time to think through all those questions, it feels like I would have had more yes's to your questions like six months ago but now I'm not so sure and I feel really guilty about that.

JHuber = isn't there a healthier way?

Ill_llI.. um, I just don't think I can change my mind like that. (for becoming a lesbian)

Giesha, Cainchild..
Why does everyone seem to have different meanings to love? Do you believe there's like one right idea and the rest wrong? I thought love was blend of good things.. attraction, feeling happy when your with that person, loyalty, support and like feeling like everything is right when your with the person you love. I think that last part is what's really making me question love because suddely it's hard to feel like everything is going to be alright when I'm with him.

49yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Waterdrop is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Cheer up, Adrianna! : ) And everyone! : )

"When the night comes with the action
I just know it's time to go
Can't resist the strange attraction
From that giant dynamo
Lots to take and lots to give
Time to breathe and time to live."

I can't see what is happening to our world and our emotions -

"It's elusive call it glitter
Somehow something turns me on
Some folks only see the litter
We don't miss them when they're gone
I love the feeling in the air
My kind of people everywhere..." (ABBA)
This video appears to have been removed

43yrs • F •
Avalona22 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Love is real, it knows sacrifice and service, and has to do with humility and putting the other person as well as your Creator before yourself. Love is indeed real and has a much higher meaning than our society has defined it as. Forget the mushy feely, teddy bears and roses and co-dependent but sick love. Love is life and health, growth and service. It definitely makes life more fruitful to have a partner who can uphold you in that. Look up sections on marriage in The URANTIA Book, it is beautiful and says that a marriage or union out of love is one of the supreme satisfactions and basis of family unit. Also check out Gabriel of Urantia's music, which melodically expresses the higher nature of love in my opinion through his lyrics (gabrielofurantia [dot] com)

What is Love?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy