Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Complete Memory Erasure Justifiable?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Everett is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Can you imagine a situation were memory erasure was completely justified?

I came across this question recently and it really struck me for some reason - I want to know what others think about it.

I myself cannot imagine a situation where it's ethical to remove someone's memories. No matter how bad their lives may have been.

28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Have you seen Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind? This film addresses this problem with relationships and love. It's definitely worth a watch.
As for my point of view, life is built on experiences good and bad and if you could erase them you would be erasing part of yourself.

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Everett is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I actually recently found out about that movie and am planning to watch it.

Yeah, I definitely agree, that it's like erasing the person.

It's like memory is an essential part of being a conscious life form so removing that is life turning that conscious being into more of an object - a computer that can be reformatted.

I think no matter how dire one's life experiences, it adds to the universe somehow. And to remove the ability of that person's awareness of how he/she has impacted the world is more negative for that person than the terrors of their lives.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone does believe or can imagine a situation where they think it might be justifiable though. Perhaps there's something I'm missing.

38yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that EOTW is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That's how God started the world. Being all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful drove Him to insanity. He put a gun to His head and blew His brains out. That event is what scientists call The Big Bang. If God can completely erase His own memory I suppose it's morally right for anyone to do the same.

"Nothing Happens On The Internet."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy