Dying is an art, like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell. I do it so it feels real. I guess you could say I've a call. - Sylvia Plath
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The next stage of Evolution?

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

Untill There is substatial evidence or absalute proof which tells me otherwise I reside by evolution being the means of creation.

But this got me thinking as to what is the next stage of Evolution?

If small reptiles who took refuge on cliffs and rock faces to escape preditors thus eventually learning and evolving to glide until they could fly, where would this leave the human race as we have no preditors to overcome or defend ourselfs from.

If a birds selected mutation was flight ours must be inteligence (along with our thumbs)
then does this mean the smarter you are the more evolved you are?

If we all as a mass meditate with a thought of our next mutation would it be possible to alter our path of evolution.
Did sombody allready think of this hence the creation of angels (man with wings) if everybody wanted to become and angel would evolution give what is required to survive?

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 63yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that manbible is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Quote:

"Untill There is substatial evidence or absalute proof which tells me otherwise I reside by evolution being the means of creation."

Even though there is zero evidence to suggest evolution is an explanation for creation? Do you realize that the vast majority of evolutionists themselves separate the two and distinctly point out that evolution isn't a theory that attempts explains the inception of life? That they consistently repeat the mantra that evolution only attempts to explain what life mutated into after it came into existence? In light of these facts how do you hold to such a faith?

The perspective would be interesting if there were a remote possibility for life to spontaneously generate on it's own to begin the "evolutionary" process.

NASA hired Yale University's Harold Morowitz, a theoretics expert. Dr. Morowitz deals with 'the laws of large numbers and probabilities.' He was hired to calculate the odds of abiogenesis occurring by purely natural means in 2008. He is an avid believer of evolution so it makes his findings both ironic and credible.

Dr. Morowitz concludes that once the odds reach 1/1015, the probability of an event ever happening is negligible. If you get to 1/1050, the event could not have happened even once in 15 billion-years. Now stay with me here.

After studying the complexity of a protein molecule, Dr. Morowitz concluded that the probability of life occurring by chance is 1/10236. 1/10236 takes into account all the atoms in the universe, and the chance that the right ones came together just once to form a protein molecule.

He said 'The universe would have to be trillions of years older, and trillions of times larger, for a protein molecule to have occurred by random chance.' In case you missed it, that means the earth isn't old enough for life to arise and evolve!!!

That would be like throwing 4 billion quarters in the air having them all come up heads!!

Now look at what we actually observe when it comes to alcoholism and mutation. First, mutations are overwhelmingly detrimental to life with few benign, and fewer still, beneficiary mutations. Now think about alcoholism for a moment. What we observe and what has been concluded by many a study is that alcoholism is influenced by both hereditary and environmental factors. Meaning the offspring of alcoholic parents are more susceptible to the ill effects of the condition. Thus greatly reducing any probable positive "mutations" from ever happening.

"To love oneself is to love others."
 36yrs • M
So your argument Against evolution is infact evidence for evolution, you clearly state it is possible for evolution to occure, what's 1 in a trillion during infinate time. You denounce the only logical explination of life but claim the mytholgy of scripture as truth... Except storys what proof do you have of "god".

You state that there is no proof of evolution. Yet Only a few animals who inhabbit this planet have not evolved for millions of year (snakes, crocadilians and sharks for example)
But if you look at some species of animal and gather the bones and fosils of there ancestors there would be a gradual change if lined by carbon dates. This planet is estamated to be 6billion yrs old, there are fossils of simple life forms dating that far back but none of animals around today "WHY" because that's what we evolved from. The saber toothed cats mutation to modern day cats is the most common example of this.

You are a humanoid primate you share 99% of you DNA with a chimp. If humans were the chosen creatures of god why would he make us so similar to a chimp?

I could comply a range of proof but i have not got the time patience or will to try to convince your shackled mind, besides this thread was not designed for the purpose of discussing the liklyness of evolution but to find peoples veiws on the next stage.

I to do not think immunity could be classified as evolution  ut only happens on a single celled level.
drugs and alcaholism must have a bigger part in our own evolutionary cycle than given credit for. Magic mushrooms  have been consumed by humans as far back as 10.000 bc perhaps further.  

63yrs • M
Quote: "So your argument Against evolution is infact evidence for evolution, you clearly state it is possible for evolution to occure, what's 1 in a trillion during infinate time. You denounce the only logical explination of life but claim the mytholgy of scripture as truth... Except storys what proof do you have of "god".

Ah, no. I brought up the virtual impossibility of evolution as it's generally taught being true or factual. Due to the huge mathematical improbability and the fact that for them to have a chance the earth would have to be 3 times the age it is currently postulated by the evolutionary model that is currently asserted.

You have approximately 97% of the same DNA as a pig. In fact they use pig hearts for transplant surgery because it's closer to ours then that of a chimp. Yet you believe what? We evolved from an ape like creature? Because of superficial anatomical similarities? Someones ability to construct fossils like a child does with Leggos? Fossils to wit invariably wind up being from multiple species upon closer examination?

You stated in your opening paragraph that you believed evolution is the cause of life so my comments are on target with the topic. Fact is we haven't the ability to evolve into anything other than what we are, human. A caterpillar morphs into a butterfy by design per the genetic information within it's make up. It never evolves into something else, why is that?

You compile no proof because there is none. Just speculative conjecture based on very limited facts.

As you age and your wisdom increases with experience you will begin to question that what you were taught to believe in government institutions. You will learn the art of analytical thinking instead of repeating what you had to memorize. You will begin to see that it is your mind constrained by false knowledge and realize you're human and not ape.

40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Manbible, please use common sense, and realize that the OP is talking about evolution being the means of HUMAN creation.

And as for all these musings on evolution of the mind, the OP is talking of the tangible type, I believe. I believe we will evolve noticably when/if there is a noticable change in our environment.

We have evolved to become ever-frailer in body and stronger in mind over thousands of years. This process will continue until we look like.....them (y'know, the stereotypical aliens with wirey bodies and giant heads).

"Just a fleck in the immeasurable circumference?"
 63yrs • M
Quote: "Manbible, please use common sense..."

Quote: " We have evolved to become ever-frailer in body and stronger in mind over thousands of years. This process will continue until we look like.....them (y'know, the stereotypical aliens with wirey bodies and giant heads)."

Your space alien theory garners less respect then abiogenesis does. Common sense? Yeah, okay. BTW, the great minds of the past would likely disagree with your assumptions of their mental capacities, I believe.

In your scenario, who or what created the space aliens?

40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't see how they would disagree even if they could. We continue to build upon generations previous, I believe. Fundamentals foundations are still relatively the same, but we continue to refine what grows from them. Really, everything you've contributed to this thread has been much like heady fluff from a pint. Mmmmmmm, speaking of....BRB.

Also, the alien thing has nothing to do with anything. That was some of MY filler.

40yrs • M
I just don't particularly care for people who 'talk' on forums the way you do. Your quoting folks aims to say, "Hey, perhaps you haven't thought about what you've typed. Read it again to see how stupid it is." That's ignorant.

Also, you're not really saying much from what I can read.

28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The main question is whether you consider de-evolution to be a kind of evolution. (for example, humans losing apophenia) Which we lose because we dont need them, rather than to make improvements. I agree with Decius, the next step would probably be to do with immunity. (whether to certain diseases or certain drugs).

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 40yrs • M
For sure, THM, it's always happening now as we speak (in small ways). Like say how how many of us are becoming immune to antibiotics because we're getting high doses of them in our food unfortunately. Or how we build tolerance to toxins/drugs, etc. I was thinking about drastic physical changes, though. Who knows what/when those will be haha.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Snide dismissals of someone scientifically challenging the premise given doesn't bode well for your evolutions

Its weird to watch a discussion so one sided in this respect, and so seemingly unaware of it.

Regardless, what is interesting to me is not the minutia of limited scientific debate on evolution itself in this discussion. The amount of variables known and especially unknown plus the potential capabilities to influence these processes makes anything possible.

But in terms of a fun debate thought, if we had the ability to influence our "evolution", especially to a specific degree or direction, would that not constitute as and make an arguement for creationism?

I figure that our next step is more likely, besides smaller practical changes in immunities, is either a reclaiming or advancement of our spiritual abilities, especially those which can directly affect our physical environment.

Mechanical augmentation is the obvious avenue for the materialistic minded and I once assumed it the most likely and potent path.

But what I continue to find is that such means are simply trying to get to a point which appears already to exist if we could figure out how to create consitent results both in tapping into this and utilizing it.

And I grow more certain that the materialistic modality of this evolution will likely serve as a detriment as these limited science based apparatuses will likely pollute and deform natural processes and abilities. There are simply too many variables and too many unknowns.

But such inner discipline and control are not as appealing to the please me now with gadgets crowd I'm afraid.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 63yrs • M
DannyDuberstein,

The reason I quote people is so they can correct me if I've taken what they've said out of context or simply missed their point. Like in your case I thought you were advocating the idea that we were the distant offspring of space aliens. Many do seriously believe that you know. Sorry if that offended you.

You may think I haven't contributed much to this thread but you might ask yourself if you're just not understanding the potential gravity of what I am conveying.

I think too often people attribute the ability to adapt to "evolution" when it's simply the ability to adapt. Our immune systems adapt to environmental changes due to the genetic information that is part of our make up, not because of some unexplained force that compels constant change. Think of it this way: If you're driving down the road you wouldn't "evolve" in order to navigate turns would you? No, you would adapt your driving to the road in order to execute turns and adjust to variations, right? Well a flu virus adapts per its genetic make up in order to maneuver around curves we throw at it with vaccines.

40yrs • M
Haha, I just re-read what you typed and now things are clearer. I guess I read what I wanted to read from what you said, because really, I came out of left field with my response to you. What I typed had nothing to do with anything you typed. In reading the passage I originally responded to, I wholeheartedly agree with you. In fact, my slogan is "Science merely serves to term and catalog phenomena." Honestly, I initially only read the first sentence of your first post and jumped the gun, deciding to respond prematurely. My apologies. I pull that sh*t sometimes haha. I'm quick to argue on the internetz.

40yrs • M
And thank you, you've piqued my interest in re-visiting evolution.

36yrs • M
Manbible----I'm puzzled how anybody religious can simply denounce evolution just because there's an improbability (not imposible). By sugesting that it could happen even with all the improbability's contradicts what your saying. You obviously can't comprehend infinat time.
I think it's sad that you feel ashaimed you are a pri mate. If only you could truly see the bigger picture instead of hiding in scripture. I think you need to come back to reality and re assess your look at the universe. For there is a god we call it reality evolution it's it's means to create so anything in said reality is god just a creation of ourselfs. We were one cell the sead of the universe we grew over billions of years constantly modifying our DNA hence the reason for so many different variations in species of plant and animal bones and fossils over the 6 billion year old planet. With the aims to eventually create the master species.

1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy