Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Will secularism eventually lead to a lack in diversity?

User Thread
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As you may know, recently France, perhaps the most secular country in the world, has banned the burqa, an item of clothing worn by Muslim women to symbolise their purity and their wish to not reveal themselves to any man besides their husband. This has made great uproar in France, as because of French colonisation many immigrants from Northern Africa have entered the country. A large proportion of these people are Muslim.
I was just wondering what people thought about this secular view on outward signs of religion. In France, there are no crucifixes in Catholic schools, which seems quite ironic. Personally, i am all for anything which unites people who would otherwise be outcast by others. (Where I live, when a woman wearing a burqa gets on a bus or a trian, she recieves cautious and worried glances from many passengers) Then again, could this secularism be creaitng a lack of diversity which is wht makes life interesting?

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I completely agree on your views on secularism, however i believe that although the law was indeed placed to stop misidentification, perhaps the connotations of this law extend beyond that.

28yrs • M •
Perhaps towards positive, or indeed hidden negative discrimination.

28yrs • M •
Perhaps this law, and yet France has created similar laws for other sects; Crucifixes being banned in Catholic schools, which in my opinion, is pretty pointless.

28yrs • M •
In which case, Sarcozi is digging a hole

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy