If you don't understand my silence, you can't understand my words. - WanderingNobody
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Perfectionism

User Thread
 32yrs • F •
Lexie19 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Perfectionism
Hi, I am a college freshman and since I was a little girl have wanted to be perfect for my parents. The pressure has gotten to be too much. I am forcing myself to get a 4.0, be newspaper editor, President of 3 clubs, secretary and treasurer of a club, Public Relations of a bunch of clubs, a Student Ambassador (give tours, STAR call and lunch host for students thinking of coming to my school and do mock trial. The pressure is getting to be too much and when I think of not being perfect I shake and cry. I got a B on a quiz and started crying for 3 hours. Do I need counseling?

35yrs • F •
Liluk is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Lexie, do you think you need counseling? Do you think it's agood thing to want to be perfect for your parents? Do you think it's healthy to cry for hours over a B?

I would like to know more about how you feel about your parents and your perfection. Do your parents push you to do all the things you do or do you do it of your own free will?

Why do you want to be perfect? What satisfaction do you get?

If it sounded like I was being sarcastic with my first few questions, I didn't mean for them to sound that way. I think it is very important to know how you feel about these things so I can empathize with you and know where you are coming from.

I have also had to deal with being perfect for my parents.

45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would certainly recommend talking to someone.
I also believe being selfless and serving others is a blessed thing. Destroying yourself and running yourself into the ground because you or someone else places unrealistic expectations on you serves no one at all.
You should also consider just how perfect you would call any person besides yourself if they didn't care for their own emotional needs and happiness.
Don't try to be great, just be what you are and greatness will come in it's own due time.
My advice, pick one or two of those things, be better at them than anyone and let the other 90 things fall away, where they belong.

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
Perfectionism
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy