The clowns paint their faces - Bob Yow Z!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Social networking of now

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Social networking of now
I play a game called World of Warcraft. Played a number of MMORPGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) and found this to probably be the best of the bunch. Games like this seem to be the social hang out of the future... well now. I have friends that are in Australia, Canada, US well you get the drift.
Games like this are really just a glorified chat room with a game attached. Recently I bumped into a kid (age 12, 'acts 14' his words I kid you not) who Raided constantly. Raids are where up to 40 players group up and take on a challenge for better gear for their avatar. From the get go I had to show him etiquette, manners and why he was rejected from guilds in the past. But is this healthy?
My wife and I play this game together and it's been a great deal of fun over the past two years. We have met interesting friends, held heated and enjoyable conversations over ventrillo (a voice program to chat on) and really seem to do this as a social activity rather than going out as much to the club or bar. Needless to say its costs us 14 dollars a month for each account (two) rather than a whopping sum of drinks and fine dining.
Kids now a days are growing up off this, so far I'm mentoring a couple of kids as far as treating others, dealing with people respectively and making friends. Finding good friends isn't so easy, but when you meet good people, you tend to keep in touch. Never seeing them in real life however you do spend time together virtually.
The game is interesting that its not realistic to be annoying. Its fantasy so all ages and both sexes can get into it (sci fi tends to be more male dominate) its cartoony enough to poke fun but not so much that it's a turn off for adults (players range from years 8 to 70, a guy in my guild is in his 50s)
Thoughts?
Also, if you plan to try it out, let me know. I'm on the Cairne Server Horde faction.

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 40yrs • M •
I know where you're coming from Decius, I don't watch TV. Like the kid I mentioned it seems to be a social crutch. But is that such a bad thing? Your delt with by your attitude and what you say, nothing about race, gender or something superficial. If your voice is annoying you can type, if you're a jerk, you won't have friends. What you do has a greater impact regarding your social status than in the real world where more often financial status and the cloths you wear can determine who you hang out with.

40yrs • M •
Well one thing I work very odd hours and my shifts can change at the drop of a hat. One thing games like WoW has offered my wife and I is that we have an easier time keeping in touch with friends over the net and gaming.
Spending time with others is as easy as a click of the button. Yeah I know that's really lazy. Maybe the bane of our species -_-

40yrs • M •
Well said stated Decius. I agree with the comprehension/ child factor, I am currently mentoring a couple of kids trying to shape them into team players and worth their repair cost rather than dead weight and anger. So far one kid has really turned around, the other guy is still learning concepts.
What probably helps me though is that I try to play with friends and my wife, which most certainly added to the game. If we really have nothing else to talk about or do, we have something to talk about or do.
I just want something I can turn to for stress relief and enjoy the time with those I care about. Everything else is an added bonus.

37yrs • M •
Noiche is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'm in the same boat, in that I find it a much cheaper and more efficent way of socializing through the internet, especially across games such as WoW. I love being in a group and playing as a team, and thats the only thing that really keeps me going. I play the game to raid and therefore spend 90% of my time on the game doing just that. When I'm not, the rest of my time is spent socializing with many friends within the game or people I've just met.

What your doing with the kids your mentoring is a very good thing, and is something that I think is lacked in todays world. Theres just no "good" role models really left out there for most kids to look up to for advice and guidance. They need people to tell them when enough is enough. I honestly think gaming, while it creates a social crutch, it also keeps those people from causing trouble or more harm to themselves. For instance, if a 16 yr old boy spends his days on his computer playing with his friends on WoW, its better than him out getting drunk or trying a new drug that another offered to him and possibly getting hurt in the process. In my opinion, its definitely a good thing. Now I don't want to discourage anyone from getting outside and getting dirty, cause that will always be a better time spender to me, but this is still better than most the other things kids get themselves into these days.

"Live to ride, ride to live!"
Social networking of now
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy