Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Removal from Working Memory...

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
(Not sure what the technical terms for this are, please add if you can help...)

Much like the mind, the computer uses a working memory. As such, both need to add things to working memory when needed, and also remove things as needed.

Reasons to remove things from the mind's working memory might be related to now-past events, irrelevant material, or material of a unsavoury nature...

It is something I believe you can train yourself to be aware of.

Your thoughts?

"There is no negative one..."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BethewateR is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
cant be done, trauma leaves such a mark on the mind that it truely helps shape who we are. I think there may be something for it in the future like in eternal sunshine of the spotless mind but for now psychiatric meds themselfs are only about 100 years old

"all you know is all you know"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
working memory, or short term memory as some people call it, is simply the ability of the person to visualize abstracts and remember them for a short period of time, since forgetting those abstracts cuts "our chain of thought" and gets us back to square one.

now as i see it, the only reason why we would lose track of what we're thinking of is distraction, by any means necessary.

now if i was to be thinking about something and drift to a sideline of thought that becomes irrelevant to the starting point, or we might be easily distracted by external senses, as in noticing a pattern, sound image or touch if anything.

anything can be achieved in terms of improving our working memory, as in simply keeping ourselves from being distracted by things we wish not to be distracted by.

I've read that meditation techniques help with that matter, second being comfortable with your own surroundings whatever they may be. any feeling of discomfort distracts us. Any feeling what so ever distracts us.

Now this is nothing but wishing to gain more control on our thought process, I've learned that you can lean to control it as much as you'd like, but that will show u nothing different from what you already know.
It will not improve your thought process, it will help u concentrate on things more, which would only work on things u do not find interesting to begin with.
The key is patience as it is to everything in life.

We can learn to gain more control over our head. But that wouldn't make your mind understand things faster than it already does. It just helps you become more patient.

One trick i learned is that our mind doesn't connect things unless they relate to each other in some way, so the only thing you can do is to keep connecting one thought to the other without drifting to irrelevant thoughts, thus having a much more structured way of thinking, this is used in brainstorming sessions.

another is doing things that help you remember what you're trying to visualize in your head, as in a sketchbook where you doodle whatever it is you're thinking about.

as in all types of memory, the only key to improve it is via training.
just keep in mind we can not remember things if we do not learn how to memorize them to begin with.
There's a lot of memorizing techniques, as in detecting the patterns in them and connecting them to less information which becomes easier to memorize.
repetition only works for long term memory. our subconscious will keep track of a lot of things that are happening while repeating it thus enabling us to recall it on cue, because of us remembering a lot of things that relate to this specific chunk of information.

another thing is that our ability to recall a whole lot of information diminishes if we do not structure our daily routines, the less i have to remember about everything else that is happening, the more i gain control over which i wish to remember.

like a lot of kids face this problem, if they do nothing all day it's easier to remember the teachers words, the more things they do every day that do not relate to their studies, the less they remember about their studies.

i simply think the one key to improve your memory is focus. Not as in focusing now this minute on that one thing, it's about all your daily routines being focused around less subjects thus enabling you to remember more of the things you wish to remember of.

i can talk forever about memory problems,
my friends claim i have a gold fish syndrome

"i think therefore i think i am"
 46yrs • M •
First of all, thanks for replying...

BethewateR, do you think people who've experienced trauma try and put it out of their minds, perhaps sometimes in the area of working memory?... (although with varying success)

eye, is it not possible that the mind needs to bring things in and out of working memory to work efficiently in the face of a limited amount of space there?...

Also, just to clarify, the original post was less about retaining a memory, and more about letting some go, at least temporarily in working memory (and not from long-term memory)....

41yrs • M •
well, i do realize i drifted off the subject there.

but what i meant was that focus is the only thing that keeps things in our working memory.

as i also mentioned, adding more input to your head helps you let go of the things you can't let go of.

as in if i want to forget something, i go on doing odd things everyday until it becomes so far away (maybe it was a week ago, but if u did 100 things within that week as opposed to 2 things in that week), it will seem like a year ago.

it's kinda all relative to how much input u give to your mind.
if you want things to get our of your working memory, try think of other things, if that doesn't help. DO other things.
in the end our actions control our head more than we can control it.

cheers~

34yrs • M •
well eyes little technique things are all nice and dandy but perfect control of your thought is nirvana or enlightenment in budhast and hindu. This is supposed to be achieved through complete purity of soul basically meaning total honesty with oneself, to quit the mind or put it at peace. "As we train or conscience it will kiss us as it bits." philosophy is like religion for an athiest.

As for your question, who knows if one day well be able to target individual events in the mind. They have only the knoledge of the hippocampus and that traces of brain chemicals help to preserve and store memory. Suppression itself is part of freuds theory and I think hes part right, if your not honest with your self and accepting of your actions and thoughts than you will have problems.

So in short, maybe someday but I think people still always have a little bit of the most traumatic expierences in there lives in there brain and long term memory has no limit to storage as far as we know just IQ really.

46yrs • M •
Just one thing to add, and correct me if I'm wrong...

We do seek to control the mind, and do not succeed in entirety. However, we are able to exert various levels of control, and with mental work, can improve such levels to a degree.

34yrs • M •
define "working the brain"

46yrs • M •
Sorry BethewateR, wasn't sure if you were talking to me as I did not use the term "working the brain"... But I'll answer anyway...

If you were asking what I mean by 'mental work', and 'control (of) the mind', I guess one main things that comes to mind is making attempts to correct perception, mostly in terms of interpretation.

You can alter your point of view, and influence the attention you pay, as well appreciate things on various levels. All of these affect control of the mind.

In all this you need to work with you 'working memory', which is limited, as opposed to the limitless aspect of long term memory. In this control of working memory, you need to add some things, and also remove things (rather than always letting them fall away).

I guess the original point of the post is to recognise also removal from working memory, and see it apart from adding things to it.

Do you know what I mean?

41yrs • M •
i think i drifted from the main point as i do always.

Anyway i doubt removal from working memory is something that can be controlled easily.
As in i can never take something out of my mind, i have to wait it out.

but as i stated before, things we "do" control what we think of.

our brain does not reach something too far to connect with what we see/hear and touch.

As in if i think of something that i can't keep out of my head, i keep myself as busy as i can till it goes away on it's own.

If a thought comes to mind often, we try find what are the things that are pushing this thought back to our head and removing those "distractions".

We can never take a thought out of our head, we can push as many others as we can think of, until we find it harder to remember what the first one was.
This works perfectly for attached emotions, since distant memories are not connected with emotional responses unless we put them in focus for a relatively longer period.

The thing we need to keep in mind is that our body is in constant pain, Even if we're almost never aware of it.
meditation, physical work outs and reaching a body that is perfectly functioning(not over built) helps us lower these "pain" levels to the absolute minimum.

So then, all i meant with my previous post, is that we can not alter what goes on in our working memory, we can try altering what we store from it by altering our actions, methods, and surroundings.

I doubt there's anything else we can do to improve or partially destroy our working memory (i tried once banging my head to the wall ).

we can learn to control our distant memories, and what we would remember.

But in the end that's all that matters. If we don't remember something that means it doesn't affect us in our present moment.

34yrs • M •
your working memory is working on semantic and episodic information in your lond term memory get it, the only way to get rid of and incident completely out of your mind is if it is insignificant and doesn't have alot of connections to the memory and you forget about it or you make it into something else. the only way to completely get it out of your head or your "working memory" is some sort of amnesia, again making this almost sounds cliche, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

34yrs • M •
as for improving or own mental abilities, literature, science, philosophy, the desire to be enlightened and see towards the truth through total self-honesty and hard work, not just improving the mind but also the body and your own ideal consept of a soul

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy