No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly. - wesdawgy
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Importance of Language in Communication

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So lately I've seen a few names being thrown around as insults, namely: human breeders, pollyannas, and pseudo-cynics. I won't even dignify human breeders with anything more than a mention in this thread, but I have to wonder, because I know what Pollyanna and pseudo-cynic are being used to describe, is there really any merit in these insults?

By which I mean, when you bring up a new definition for a word that is either an entirely new word or is given a different meaning than is normally associated with it, but you don't bother to explain the definition you have used, is there really any insult to be found in applying the word to people who don't know what you're saying anyway?

For instance, Pollyanna, as far as I've found, simply refers to someone who is able to find the good in any situation. Now this hardly qualifies as debasing or degrading someone but in the posts I've seen here the word is used contextually as an insult. So my question is: what's the point? Does anyone know?

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The fact you know its being used as an insult, and the fact you were insulted enough to post a thread about it shows there must be a point.

You are also using veiled insults in your post. So youre illustrating well that there is a point in insulting someone when the meaning is unclear.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy