Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind - Leonardo da Vinci
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Social Contract

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Social Contract
It seems that for most people there is a sort of unsaid agreement, somewhat of a social contract, that guides the way we interact. From day one we are taught that we should not mock people, insult people, lie to people, ad nauseam. Basically we are told to shape anything and everything we say into what we consider to be a polite manner, and use words that will not be offensive to whomever we are speaking to.

My question then, is what if we threw out this 'social contract'? Does it really help to have such rules put upon us? Wouldn't it just be easier to ignore said contract and speak without censorship and distortion?

If you think about it, when we censor how we say things, we lose part of what we really intended to say, thus translation is even further skewed. Do you think that it would be better, or more efficient, to just say what we are thinking?

[  Edited by fireangel at   ]
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BethewateR is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the metaphorical socail contract is just that ; make believe, pretend. The words we use to express never trully capture the wisdom of feeling and since we live in a world that truly is created by the human mind- its metaphysical framework- which our relationships must communicate that which cannot
be adequettly expressed in the first place. The mask that you seem to be alluding to that we all seem forced to wear is a guard against those with which one doesn't really want to communicate, i think that that barrier or contract becomes shattered only in the presence of those you consider your equal. those worthy of your trust and love, those who seek happiness in life are those i seek. but you totally right censor ship in expression in art is just wrong. its a detterent of the truth.

"all you know is all you know"
 54yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ophion Roth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is an argument that censorship on art makes for better art, that art thrives under fascism.

But I agree whole heartedly with both of the previous posts on this. Some people are entirely new to incarnation as human beings, while some have been here many times before in previous lives. And it thus seems right that there are tacit guidelines for those with no social skills.

For those that have enough awareness to be able to throw off these social cues is, to me, cause for excitement. It can only lead to emancipation of the self, and, eventually, of the society itself.

Possibly.

But it may also be seen as the first steps for an individual encountering the vast terrain of the inner self and, eventually, deathlessness, and beyond-human-ness.

Have a nice day.

"Fell through the looking glass and cannot seem to find my way beyond."
Social Contract
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy