Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Health Tips

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Health Tips
It seems that there are more and more claims about what is good for you and what is not.

One minute bananas will help fight cancer, the next they will give it to you.

Then there was the no carbohydrate diet which made young women skinnier- but also killed many of them.

Recently, I read about a new health concern where your bodies PH system becomes too acidic and needs to be alkalinized. But at the same time Ive heard that this is all new age mumbo jumbo and that the stomachs acids nuetralize all things that go into your system wether alkaline or acidic.

Ive heard an afternoon siesta or "power nap" is good for you leaving you more alert when you wake. But Ive also heard that sleeping after you've eaten is bad for the heart.

We all know meditation is great, but if you get to a certain level, without a really really good instructor you can actually damage your health.

So its kind of hard to know whats good for you and what isnt.

I am hoping people will post any beneficial information they have about diet, sleep patterns, exercise regimes, health foods or any other thing they know about and that may have worked for them that helps keep the body healthy.

Thanks.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"We all know meditation is great, but if you get to a certain level, without a really really good instructor you can actually damage your health."

In what ways can meditation damage your health?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 42yrs • M •
The basic meditation that we all (well, most aware individuals) do, is very beneficial. But I read somewhere or saw a documentary where those who have done it all their life and reached the hardcore levels that most dont achieve have had problems.

Think of meditation as stages, and some of the deeper ones need yogis or gurus to guide them through the deeper stages.

When you think of it, its no different to physical exercise. If you train professionally and don't have a professional to guide you and stop you doing the wrong thing then you may end up with negative results.

Anyway, I was just using it as an example of one of the many things that make it hard to know what to do and what not to do when it comes to your health.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Detachment can have horrible repercussions if a person doesn't know how to handle the experience properly.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M
quote:
Detachment can have horrible repercussions if a person doesn't know how to handle the experience properly.

Where are you guys getting this information? I couldn't find anything on a quick google search and I'm interested in reading about it.

42yrs • M •
Probably because its not common, since most people who meditate don't do it 10 hours a day for 10 years and even replace sleep with it.

Also, dont forget that not ALL information is on the internet. There are still books, documentaries, real life people and other means to get information.

Sorry I cant give you any more help. But like I said it was just an example of the minefield I feel there is regarding finding what is best for personal health/ well being.

36yrs • M
What is a "books"?

42yrs • M •
Rofl. I think they are things you burn when you want to start a fascist regime. Or they could actually be a form of super evolved tree. Dunno.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that andrula is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Honestly you need to discover that on your own. Everyone is different. I used to listen to people's advice, and what was good for individual but it didn't seem to benefit me. So the past year I've been chopping and changing my diet and exercise until it was working. I have finally found the perfect combination. I had to quit alcohol, smoking, minimise dairy intake, have every second day as no carb day, not eat after 8pm, must eat before 8am, eat minimum 5 meals a day, keep track via myfitnesspal, exercise minimum 5 days a week, exchange white bread for multigrain, no junk food and a lot of water. That's only a snip of what I do. I have never felt better, I never get the bloating I used to, I get my periods regularly, I have so much energy and I feel 100%.

Start looking at the foods you eat, and changing until you find what's right for your body. Don't listen to anyone but your body!

25yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ravenclaw is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As usual, people should take andrula's advice. It's really good.

Apparently at school they are trying to make a health class that teaches people how to use health-related information and separate actual advice from random food fads, instead of just teaching "This is what a healthy diet looks like (at the current time - it could change next year). Eat it." They should make a class like that for adults too.

39yrs • M •
josiahgarrett is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Everyone's body has different structure and immune system so it is always better to have a dietician advice for the food and one thing which everyone can have is lots of water and fresh vegetables for there body which does not have any harm on there body.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that CooJaye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In terms of food and exercise, i don't always do the same thing.

There are obvious things I try to stay away from if I can (things with lots of preservatives, frozen meats and veg, frozen meals or any other factory prepared meals, junk food, etc.). But I'm human and I have cravings so I eat them once in a while.

I try to eat as many fresh things as possible, and make meals from scratch so I know what's going into it. In terms of ingredients, I am always eating different fruits and vegetables and don't have the same ingredient routine all the time. I use different herbs and spices, too. I think getting the biggest variety of fruit and veg as possible is best for me. You always hear of new fad food like kale or whatever. Then people go wayyy overboard with eating it and they end up getting some sort of deficiency. That's kind of my theory behind mixing it up all the time. I'm getting loads of different vitamins, antioxidants, etc from these foods but not enough where I'm overdoing it and it can have a negative effect from that one thing.

it works for me. I have the same approach with exercise. I play team sports so every training is different and works loads of different muscles. When i go to the gym, i try to do new things or take different types of classes. It works for me.

Health Tips
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy