Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

zoning out

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
zoning out
A couple of years ago I used to zone out a lot and kind of daydream or philosophize. I heard that it was bad for your eyes and so over the past year or two I've tried to stop myself from zoning out and found it difficult to do. It's almost like fighting the urge to sleep.

I was wondering, do you think zoning out or daydreaming is beneficial? And if so why?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that nyrlathotep is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am just on my lunch break but i will ad more later. Day dreaming like just about every thing is a double edge sword. Day dreaming can become a great way of figuring out were you stand in hypothetical scenarios. Some times it is better to be wide awake and focused on what is at hand in the waking world. But you know what they say time and place time and place.

"i have nothing original to say."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I heard masturbation was bad for your eyesight when i was growing up.

I never heard daydreaming was. And I'm not sure why it would be. Its like your eyes are taking a break because they are not having to focus on something.

What IS bad for your eyes is playing video games, because the concentration and intensity needed means that we do not blink at all. Which of course we need to.

I have always daydreamed allot. And I'm sure the worlds great thinkers are also people who zone out as you call it. You cant invent something without first going on a flight of fancy and saying what if...

And most of people ideas come from when they lose themselves in thought and its like a movie played out before them. An inner picture. I believe it is just the power of the mind giving us a backdrop for our ideas to take shape.

Then again I may have what you call zoning out totally wrong.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Actually, thinking more about it, the kind of zoning out I'm talking about is where you just stare kind of vacantly and your eyes take on a glassy look and nothing's really going through your mind.

The logic behind it being bad for your eyes is that when you do this, you're not focusing on anything and your mind makes a habit of this, hence bad eye sight.

You could be right that this type of thing isn't bad for your eyes but that video games and computer/TV in general are bad for them.

I was told by a friend one time that this kind of "zoning out" is a form of meditation but I really can't say whether it is or isn't or whether it's good for you.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 42yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
maybe if you zone out a lot you start seing things in the real world that are not there =P...as in seing the invisible in the visible. now this is too * O.o mehem

maybe it's not a matter of sight deterioration but more of that absence in your eyes that you keep even after you stop the dreaming.
The best way to remedy from this is to let yourself venture in unformiliar places ( taking walks (not sleepwalks) around the city or a forrest if u are lucky) and just looking around and getting lost in what you see ( it has to be during daytime). It was for me the most effective form of "meditation" and at least that way you wont be zoning out from the world but from yourself.

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ParallelShabba is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I zoned out while reading this goodnight and goodbye

"If you try to fix violence with violence you do nothing but create violence"
zoning out
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy