To get others to come into our ways of thinking, we must go over to theirs; and it is necessary to follow, in order to lead - William Hazlitt
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

User Thread
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that nyrlathotep is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Karma does it exist or is it a figment of the human imagination?

"i have nothing original to say."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 43yrs • M •
Sorry I should probably add a little to my thread. Karma is an idea that has since is birth in ancient india has evolved and spread all around the world. The Hindu culture believes that karma is the fruits of your labour. whatever action you commit will have an effect on you if not this life, the next life. Most buhdists believe that Karma is more the negative results of your actions. They also have added Dharma to represent the positive results of your actions. With wisdom and training Both most religions say that a person can recieve enlightenment. meaning they will know how to Enhance their dharma and improve upon their karma. The new testament has lots of Ideology that is very similar to hindu and bhudists applications of Karma. I tend to believe that One could get away with replacing the word karma with Cause and effect, but the word karma itself seems like a reasonably neat and tidy expression to fit the Idea. Thank you for taking the time to read my little blurb

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that DumbKid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I double dog dare you to provide any substantial evidence that karma is real.

43yrs • M •
Karma is just a word like most words Karma Is not what it represents. Just like the word Dog Is not A dog. Karma is an expression to explain Cause and effect. How else could it be All things that are presented to the human phsyce are measured in pros and cons. Karma is a concept like Democracy, Freedom and yes God. here is an analogy for you
Lets say the universe is a big pool and all within the pool are connected. If you Urinate in the pool You will get urine on you and others. IF you dump rose water in the pool every one will get rose water on them. Because we are all connected with in one reality and that time and space are infinite than all actions I commit will echo through eternity to come back and haunt me and every thing else in the universe. I hope this helps you to understand the concept of Karma. As for proof? Impossible I can show you limitless evidence to support the theory of karma but I can not prove any thing. Try not to think of Karma as a thing only an explanation for the ceaseless laws of cause and effect

43yrs • M •
oh wait being that karma is an expression of the state of unity between all things. I double dog dare you to show me a Isolated insodent that has had no cause or effect

36yrs • M •
I just farted.

You redefined karma to fit YOUR arguments needs.

43yrs • M •
I have not realy redefined karma. I have used an analogy to express the vast yet exceedingly simple concept of karma all your actions will have an infinite implications. How would you define Karma? If you yourself can not define karma than it nullifys your claim of my redefinition. because your flatulance is not a good arguement nor is your claim of my redefinition.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think a lot of people don't like the idea (or should I say law?) of karma because it puts the responsibility on YOU. You put your bare hand on a hot stove and you burn yourself. You put your bare hand on a hot stove a month from now and you will still burn yourself. If you do those actions you will receive those consequences, every time, no exceptions.

Now there are things in this world that are more subtle than the sense of touch and extremes of hot and cold. Things like emotions and relationships. It's silly to think that these things don't operate under the same laws as the very base senses.

If you're mean to your mother and afterward you feel really shitty, maybe, just maybe, it's because it's exactly what you deserve.

Nothing defies the laws of nature. Birds aren't casting spells so they can fly through the air... Likewise you aren't depressed because of some chemical imbalance - more like you have a chemical imbalance because you're staring at the face of your problem and still refuse to see it!

WAKE UP!! Look at what's happening around you. The world's getting shittier and who is it that everyone blames? THE GOVERNMENT!! The big BAD government.

The government didn't do this, we let this happen to us. Sure it creeped up on us gradually but that's no excuse. It's time to wake up guys.

Mathematics recognizes karma for christ's sake!! Research chaos theory and the butterfly effect.. it's all there. The flap of a butterfly's wings in mexico causes a hurricane in tahiti. This isn't pseudoscience. It's real and documented.

So if every little, minute detail can have large-scale consequences on the macro scale - what do you think thoughts are capable of?

Later

"The truth will set you on fire"
 36yrs • M •
"Hinduism, Buddhism. action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation: in Hinduism one of the means of reaching Brahman. Compare bhakti (def. 1), jnana.
2. Theosophy. the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in one incarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation.
3. fate; destiny.
4. the good or bad emanations felt to be generated by someone or something."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/karma

Karma.

I like the idea of karma. I think it would be realy cool if I got reqarded for all the good things I did and punished for all the bad things I did. That would be really nice, but thats not how things are. Karma is just another mass scale opiate to make people feel better about themselves and you, nor any one else can say anything "real" against that. You can only speculate and distort.

I am not going to listen to you any more becuase this is a fools argument. I can gain nothing from this. I wish only that you see the difference between your definition of Karma and the right definition of karma.

43yrs • M •
i have not changed the interpertation of Karma. I have only elaborated on what the concept of karma is all about. It is not a question of wether you believe and are happy with the idea of karma. It is the plain and simple truth that your actions good or bad will effect you in the long run through out all existance

43yrs • M •
by the way i think you should have a close look at chrisD's post.
dictionary definitions are helpfull but perhaps you should look into picking up some literature on the subject. you can find video or text of lectures by his holiness the dali lama on you tube or some other sight. He of course is something close to an expert on this subject. if you got the chance to read this thank you dumkid for your input.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Hinduism, Buddhism. action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation: in Hinduism one of the means of reaching Brahman. Compare bhakti (def. 1), jnana.
2. Theosophy. the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in one incarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation.
3. fate; destiny.
4. the good or bad emanations felt to be generated by someone or something.

Would you mind, dumbkid, pointing out which one of these four definitions is the right definition?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 43yrs • M •
chris are you refering to number 3 Fate, destiny?

43yrs • M •
by the way Chrisd to you have any constructive critisism for my views on karma? I would appreciate some feed back?

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy