One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

@tax cuts

User Thread
 37yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that mutnuaq is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
@tax cuts
Why do people think the wealthy should be taxed more, how do they not understand that when you tax a business man he will just pay his workers less to make up for the additional taxes which will only lead to lower wages and less jobs.

Yea let's tax the wealthy more so they ship MORE jobs over seas where they can pay less taxes and follow more lenient pollution guidelines which cost less.

When you tax the rich the rich will just take more from the poor. It's that simple.

Poor people don't make jobs and don't pay salaries and give people health care.

By taxing the rich in the end you are just taking more from the poor.
Congrats.

Next time guys, please set your greed aside and come up with real plans based on how things actually work.

"334jui8"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Who really bears the burden of taxes? The more inelastic side of the market will bear most of the burden. The true economic incidences does not depend on whether the laws say the buyers or sellers are reasonable for paying the tax but really depends on the elasticities of the supply and demand.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that nyrlathotep is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this may sound a bit too idealistic for you, it could be argued that most of the Millionaires-billionares have not put nearly enough work into the well being of our society to justify taking as much resources as they tend to do. It could also be argued that the world economy is collapsing because people in general (not just the rich) want more money and resources than exist on this planet so much in fact that they are willing to degrade themselves and their fellow man to the state of irrational and brutal beasts. I dont think that its even a question of wether any one pays enough taxes but a question of far to much consumption in general. No one should get paid millions of dollars to juggle numbers around at the stock marcket or to juggle balls on the court.

"i have nothing original to say."
 34yrs • M •
quote:
No one should get paid millions of dollars to juggle numbers around at the stock marcket or to juggle balls on the court.

In reality according to economic theory these individuals with talents that are in demand should make an equivalent rate. Some one unique and desirable talents demand is high and supply is small which in turn calls for great returns financially.

quote:
but a question of far to much consumption in general.

Consumptionism in my mind is the plight of society. We are taught to consume, before we can even speak. Then we are taught to not be content with anything, unless it is the 'newest' and 'greatest' product. There needs to be a radical change in Americans perspectives and way of life, but unfortunately due to the media I feel that progress will be slow. It is not until we cut back spending, increase savings and decrease corporate greed that will will be able to salvage what is left of our economy.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 43yrs • M •
thank you for your reply
i agree with your 2nd point whole heartedly. in your first point you contradicted yourself in the first sentence. you put reality and theory together pertaining to the same objects. i think the "economic theory" you are refering to is an extremely short sighted and un economic theory. The proof is self the standard for wealth is not based upon the reality of social environmental or the environment. so when you talk about unique talents i have to ask these questions. For who's advantage is it that our unique talents are being payed for? and should society pay for what is not advantagous to itself?

43yrs • M •
i meant to say the proof is self evident (sorry)

34yrs • M •
quote:
in your first point you contradicted yourself in the first sentence.

I am not contradicting my self I am merely stating why certain individuals get paid more than others. I was answering your statement 'No one should get paid millions of dollars to juggle numbers around at the stock marcket or to juggle balls on the court.' I was giving you the theory and reasoning for this statement.

quote:
For who's advantage is it that our unique talents are being payed for?

The reason these people make so much is because we as a society see their talents as unique. Why do we watch a basketball game, because it is entertaining. So in the example of a professional basketball game these athletes get paid so much because they can perform a talent that relatively few can do. So in this case it is society as in many other examples stock market brokers, athletes, ceos. It is all about demand and supply.

43yrs • M •
i understand suply and demand quite well I am however telling you that our collective obssession over supply and demand is not benificial to society and those who excell at procuring wealth should not be allowed to do so at the cost of the rest of society. just because greed and selfishness are natural and acceptable in our society is no justification for greed selfishnes.

34yrs • M •
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I never once stated that is was morally justified; I just gave you the theory as to why. I personally feel that no one needs an excessive amount of monetary wealth. In fact the wealth and greed of individuals is our societies downfall at the moment. Just look at the CEOs of the major auto industries it is disgusting that they are not willing to cut their salaries to save their industries.

43yrs • M •
question. If a (responsible Government) existed ,as all governments claim to be, Could they not expect more taxes from those who take to much out of the natural resources of a country than is justifyable?

[  Edited by nyrlathotep at   ]
 34yrs • M •
I think you are referring to a pigovian tax. With a Pigovian tax there is always an incentive to reduce pollution, whereas with direct regulation, a polluting company has no incentive to pollute any less than what is allowable. It works by basically creating a market for pollution, because we know that if there is a market there is tendency for equilibrium.

43yrs • M •
it seems like the pigovian tax could be a bit of a double edge sword. it would realy be a challenge for a responsible government to keep driving pollution lower. I am glad we are in the main agreed upon alot of points it is just too bad that the author of this discussion hasnt contributed more to the discussion.

34yrs • M •
You keep referring to a responsible government, what might I ask are your standards, principals, practices, what have you for a 'responsible' government?

43yrs • M •
this probably opens up a whole nother topic that we will have to save for a nother day. Karma. every living thing has the potential to do things that are either benificial or harmfull to the world around him. I think that every rational human should feel obliged not to sully the world around them with lies, corruption and violence. whom ever it is composed of a responsible government would be mindfull of cause and effect and its universal implications.

43yrs • M •
P.S. That gives me a good idea for my first thread.
I will be posting it tomorow under general discussions.
it will likely have karma in the title.

@tax cuts
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy