Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Cellphone VS Bible

User Thread
 28yrs • F •
Skittles1314 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Cellphone VS Bible
wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our
cellphone?

What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?

What if we flipped through it several time a day?

What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?

What if we used it to receive messages from the text?

What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?

What if we gave it to Kids as gifts?

What if we used it when we traveled?

What if we used it in case of emergency?

This is something to make you go....hmm...where is my Bible?

Oh, and one more thing. ...

Unlike our cell phone, we don't have to worry
About our Bible being disconnected because Jesus already paid the bill.

Makes you stop and think "where are my priorities?

And no dropped calls!

Doesn't it make you think??

"When life seems hopeless and it seems life doesnt matter...dont worry cauz God has a plan!"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well if I had a bible I'd sell it and get a cellphone because unlike the bible when I look to contacts in my phone and ask questions I get answers from real friends not imaginary ones.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What if we threw it away and upgraded it with current technology that was created by science

If cell phone companies get the profit from cell phone sales who gets the profit from bibles sales?

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sounds like the regurgitation well said from a pasture, however...
Religion requires people to be ignorant and faithful to an imaginary being. If you think I'm Joking, look at history. Back in the day, if you said anything bad about Zeus or any other Greek gods you were severely punished. This was due to POPULAR belief. Not facts.

And if people carried around a bible rather than a cell phone, then that would promote a despotism state. We would believe whatever our leaders said because we had faith, and of course our leader, a monarch, would be right. He was ordained by God himself!

If people carried around a bible, we would burn witches. Scientists would be fearful due to how stupid people can't imagine or accept anything beyond their current level of knowledge. From there they would die. And we wouldn't get anywhere. We would still be in the medieval ages if that. Waiting for that asteroid to hit us and kill us all. Which of course would be the return of the Masaya as many would believe in there last moments of life.

We would also believe that the earth was only a few thousand years old. Because someone said so, not by looking at evidence. Really the universe for that matter.

But this is the negative side. The positive side would be that we would all be drones, mindless followers adhering to one God. Though those whom are poverty stricken would still steal because they can't afford food while the rich did fine.

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The fact that the initial comparison is spectacularly redundant doesn't help this thread, nobody looks for the same answers from their cellphone as they do from a bible.

Though that doesn't mean that the wonderfully imaginative minds that invented the dystopian future full of bible bashing sheep, are much closer to anything sensible.

As you may have noticed, we have developed out of the middle ages as education became more widely available, christian monks were generally some of the most educated people around, they were the first to read, and much of western chemistry and physics is based on experiments done by monks as they were the ones with the free time necessary.

Add to this the fact that nowadays there are many modern liberal Christians (most of whom wouldn't burn homosexuals and heretics even if it wasn't illegal), including in their number many scientists (a lot of whom believe in evolution, well those outside of the Alabama board of education anyway). There is nowhere in the bible that says "though shalt not use technology", it's possible to accept science can explain how things works and that god explains why, if that's what floats your boat.

I'm fed up of the amount of christian bashing that exists. I'm not christian, but I have a fair number of friends that are, the only thing I resent them for is evangelism, I made my decision and it's highly unlikely that repeating the same formulas is going to convince me otherwise. I have my own moral compass, and I don't need a omnipotent bearded guy on a cloud to point out that if I fuck everything with a pulse and drink myself stupid on a daily basis things are unlikely to turn out well, any more than I need my biological father standing behind me telling me how to aim at a urinal. But as a set of rules, modern liberal christianity is by no means the worst that someone could choose to follow. People keep telling me that American Christians don't seem to follow this trend, so perhaps your intolerance is understandable, but don't let what is still a minority affect your view of a whole.

Come on guys, let's be a little less one sided, Skittles at least has the excuse of being 12 to explain the naivety of the original post.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would have to agree with Cynic-Al, as it seems that when people decide to dump on Christians (and I will point out here that I, in fact, am a Christian) they often forget or distort the history of Christianity. Often atheist scientists fail to acknowledge the Christianity of Newton, Galileo, Kepler, Copernicus, and the hundreds of other renowned Christian scientists who have helped develop the sciences into what they are today. They also tend to overestimate the Crusades and the Inquisition, both in the amount of Christian involvement and in the body count which was much lower than many people would have everyone believe (though I do not in any way condone what happened).
Further, the Christianity of Hitler which has long been a mantra for atheists simply didn't exist as by his own words Hitler was probably more pagan than anything (and for more details on this and the many wars supposedly fought in the name of religion I would highly suggest a book called The Irrational Atheist by Vox Day).
As for the "theocratic state" in point of fact God alone is sovereign and we are no more blindly bound to the mantras of a religious king than we are to the dictates of our next door neighbor. So I also get rather tired of the many misconceptions and misunderstood principles surrounding Christianity (though at this point I doubt it will ever stop, but I guess that is also life).

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?

Then you wouldn't have room for anything useful.

quote:
What if we flipped through it several time a day?

Then you would get constant reminders of the greatest source of false promises and delivered tragedy.

quote:
What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?

Then you would indicate that you have no faith in god's plans.

quote:
What if we used it to receive messages from the text?

Then you would be reading.

quote:
What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?

Then your REAL friends would have to perform an intervention.

quote:
What if we gave it to Kids as gifts?

Then you would be hated by kids.

quote:

Then you would be lost on a hopeless path and likely doomed for eternity to hell, with odds of winning a trip to heaven being 144,000 in about 7,000,000,000.

quote:
What if we used it in case of emergency?

Then you would die.

quote:
Unlike our cell phone, we don't have to worry
About our Bible being disconnected because Jesus already paid the bill.

No, but you would have to leave a message or be put on hold and simply wait for the second coming, which has been "coming soon" for the past 2000 years, so enjoy the wait accompanied by complemetary deafening silence.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 28yrs • F •
Skittles1314 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Oh my gosh .......u people are getting soooo technical on me...I am only 12....Gosh

"When life seems hopeless and it seems life doesnt matter...dont worry cauz God has a plan!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I do just have to ask, did you actually look at this site at all before you joined? You're age if correct does allow for some lenience with regards to our judgement of your sense in posting what you did, but as you can see is nonetheless not enough to prevent the actual content of the post from getting ripped to shreds.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:

Then you would be alone. Cut off from help, and will likely end up in an alley, one kidney short.

quote:
And no dropped calls!

No connected ones either.

"He who does not question is lost."
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Poor skittles. They really are pulling this one to shreds aren't they. I say well done you for posting something to share with other people that obviously made an impression on you. I don't know where you got this but it is a good try by someone to try and encourage Christian children that a bible is as important as a mobile phone. Obviously if you are a Christian then there is nothing wrong with having a pocket bible to look at if you feel you need some spiritual guidance - and after all the bible does have some very insightful things to say. But I would also say that if you need to carry around a pocket bible then perhaps you need to question why you need it so close to you in your life. My Christian friend on the other hand constantly uses her mobile phone as a pocket bible and texts me scriptures if she thinks I need building up. A little texted prayer from a close friend is sometimes very reassuring.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 50yrs • M •
Shadrach74 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Whats a great POST.
I love when people try to beLittle something that truly make so much since.
For all those who are skeptical and want to question the most amazing thing you are missing out on: LETS MAKE A BET.

You bet that there is no GOD, and find out there is one and I BET He Does exist and find out he Doesn't.

My question to you is, who makes out better on this deal???

"Philipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I love people who live their lives ignorant, controlled and scared of the boogy man in the closest. People who try to act like religion is such a great thing and are 34 and have similar personality traits as some who has a dysfunctional 21 chromosome.

p.s. -ignore the man behind the curtain.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Questioning the usefulness of a bible is different than questioning the existance of a creative force often labled as god.

And arguing with a person who has decided to believe something instead of being honest with themselves about what they can and do know is as about as pointless as your challenge.

With the exception of those who understand the difference between knowing and believing.

But we are welcome to engage those equally as sad who say with conviction that there is no god, because they do exist here, and the two deserve each other.

But a quick answer to your question of who makes out better, no one.

(End of quick part )

Because the idiocy of arguing over that which is obviously unknown in any relevant detail needed for an actual debate is a means of division that has caused enough hate and fear in the name of love and god that people like you help inflame to such a degree and with such dedication that you truly become a detriment to society.

No one wins a god bet, you assume you would "win" because you have preconcieved notions that are not of your own and that you are obviously unwilling and or incapable of questioning or thinking on for yourself about what god is and so you think by calling yourself god's bitch of a cheerleader that you get brownie points like a fucking two year old trying to butter up mom for a cookie.

And god probably hates you for it.

It would just be laughable and sad but unfortunately you religious folks like to push your wares on people instead of respecting them or yourselves and so we have to have these little chats as intervention so as to avoid any more crusades, inquisitions, and general religious violent nonsense.

But we all have a chance to wake up and just be good people, we just have to have the courage to use the facilities god has granted us, instead of obliterating them with blind faith and indoctrination, and stand up to those who would attempt to shut our minds of for us as well.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 50yrs • M •
Shadrach74 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I truly respect your insightfullness into a simple post. In some form i since some character assassination by people who have no clue who I am or what I represent.

I see a person, if age is correct, now 13 post something insighful and interesting. Then i see young adults and others rip it to shreads.

That post wasn't meant to be ripped to shreads, in fact, it wasn't even for anyone of you who chose the time to sight any form of negativity from it.

I simply saw something fascinating.

Should i have put a simple challenge in there, maybe? Maybe not?

I stand strong, I have something to represent. I didn't even try to instill any beliefs onto anyone. Being a true believer in Christ tells me only one thing when people like to bash someone for having faith, DUST OFF MY FEET AND MOVE ON...

And i will show you what TRUE FAITH IS: I shall pray for you.

"Philipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things"
Cellphone VS Bible
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy