Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

cults

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
cults
I was prompted with this question

Definitions of reality are most significantly impacted by:
1. Group cohesion
2. Strength on group boundaries
3. Control of negative feedback
4. Ideological perspective

it got me thinking about Ideological perspective

We perceive reality in terms of our ideological perspective
• Example: person with low self-esteem getting a complement then rejecting that complement because it is not consistent with their ideology.

Reality becomes something that is not out there realistically.

example: pen it is a pen or weapon

i did some research and found some information in Ideological totalism (centralization): they ( the cult) believe in one thing and that is it.

The world becomes defined in their ideology.

i was just wonder what you guys thought about cult, my ideas, pretty much anything relating to cults sects?

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As far as I can see, a cult is only a small group (fewer than a thousand I suppose) of separatists' worship that is looked by negatively from whatever society they live in.
Every religion starts off as a cult to some extent. Just wait until one form of Christianity calls a smaller group of Christianity a cult.

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would disagree that there is any limit on the size of a cult (scientology anyone?), the definition of a cult is usually in it's practices. The word cult is generally used in place of sect to indicate a more negative view of that group. Usually this view pertains to totalitarian control of the members of said sect, generally obvious from the level of effort put into preventing members from leaving. Other defining characteristics of groups described as cults tends to be the age of the ideology involved, most cults are founded upon newer and more extreme readings of an old religion, or entirely new ideas (generally considered to have been pulled out of thin air by the "prophet" or other figurehead sorry back on scientology again there).

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
neutralminded1 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
hmmm......i just figured out the one thing that bothers me more than religion....CULTS! ( well a lot of things bother me more than religion but cults are much like religious practices in a sense ).

i beleive in neutral minded thinking, and cults ( and religions too ) are VERY single minded. meaning they only look at things one way and see nothing else.

and i hate christians. i only say that cause i AM christian. according to christian law i am going to hell cause i rejected jesus as gods son......BAH! rubbish. religion is a flop and cults are even worse.

"in life, there is chaos. in death, nothing. fix the chaos, and in death you will find peace."
cults
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy