Take your favorite quote or phrase with the word 'life' and replace it with 'wife', in order to make it more interesting. But don't say it out loud at an inopportune moment, on fear of losing your wife. - ravenclaw
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Blind Peace

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Blind Peace
Light disturbs darkness (reflected light hits the dark retina) and thus we see.
Noise disturbs quiet (sound reverberates a still inner-ear) and thus we hear.

In that when nothing gets in, when nothing happens, is it not remarkable that sleep, and various states of lower levels of consciousness are associated with seeing and hearing nothing? (As you simply could not be disturbed enough)

I guess this might interact with a range sensory states, that some people are afraid of the dark might relate through this idea. 'Eerie silence' is another concepts along these lines.

What's your view of total darkness and quietness?
Do you enjoy it when you're still very awake?

"There is no negative one..."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What does this say about a world before light and sound?

And, was there a world before light and before sound?

"There is no negative one..."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
And if a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound?

I think the answer to the last two questions are that it was 100% the same except that life was not there.

To answer the first two I think quietness is very peaceful and gives me time to reflect on life without disruptions and darkness allows me to view the world in a different light (mentally) because everything seems so much calmer.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"In that when nothing gets in, when nothing happens, is it not remarkable that sleep, and various states of lower levels of consciousness are associated with seeing and hearing nothing? (As you simply could not be disturbed enough)"

The remarkable thing is not that these states are associated with seeing and hearing nothing but rather the exact opposite. Consciousness seems to be a continuing stream which only disconnects when our memory fails us.

The site I provided below gives a brief history of the Samadhi Tank or Flotation Tank (whichever you want to call it.) It's function is to eliminate sensory stimuli as much as possible. The results are interesting but not really surprising if you're familiar with lucid dreaming.

http://www.samadhitank.com/history.html

"The truth will set you on fire"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I want one. I'm agraphobic enough - can you imagine what I'd be like with one of those!

As an aid to meditation I think the ilolation tank would be fantaastic.

I was just wondering how a deaf and blind person would view this topic. Of course senses aside - experience is experience however it is derived so even in the silence and blackness of our own minds, our consciousness is still experiencing and through memory and past experience - still creating new experiences. It can get quite noisy and crowded inside my head, I don't know about yours.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
Blind Peace
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy