Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Thoughts about society

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Thoughts about society
Social proof

'where all think alike, no one thinks very much'

It is interesting to me to see what people use to decide what to believe or how to act in a situation is to look at what other people are believing or doing there.

I found this most true when people are unsure, when the situation is confusing; they are more likely to attend to the actions of others and to take those actions correct.

This strikes me as alarming because we loosing our voices in these situation and loosing our individualism.

A example of this comes from my high school calc. class. We worked in groups quite often and you would always get that person who always agreed with majority of the group. One day we decided to mess with our class mate and we acted as were working on the problem to the best of our ability but in the end decided to answer the question incorrectly. When we asked if there were any mistakes he said nope I got that to. We knew he could not of because our answer made no sense. So we let him turn in his paper first then corrected our ultimately he got it wrong and we got it right.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
[  Edited by CrypticTruth at   ]
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some are individual and some aren't. That can change though.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This theory is true for yawning as well why is we some one yawns shortly after we will as well? The answer social proof because some one else has done it is acceptable for one to do it.

If you can think of any more example please let me know?

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We're social creatures and thus we must all learn from one another. This is nothing new it is how we've been learning for 1000's of years. To say that we do it is one thing but to say that we are loosing individualism because of it is incorrect.

Unless a cave man lost his individuality when he say the other cave man warming his food over and fire and followed. Then your argument really holds no weight.

Lastly as explained above it is only natural that when people don't understand what they are doing that they follow someone who does. Most of what you speak of is nothing more then instinct.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What society.
We live around different people over certain periods of time and then we die.

"I hungry"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that nyrlathotep is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have noticed as well that people think of and see reality from many different levels of depth. There is only one reality, so all individuals are dilusional it is just to what degree. I have often observed people around me to be sleep walking and have tried to wake them up but to no avail. Why? It is because I too am asleep if I were awake I could wake my fellow dreamers up and we could all be enlightened

"i have nothing original to say."
Thoughts about society
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy