Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Finding Out What I Believe

User Thread
 31yrs • M •
findingmyself is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
This being my first thread, please excuse it if I've placed it in the wrong forums section. I've been lurking around Captain Cynic for a while, and decided I'd come spend a few sleepless hours of the morning explaining myself, because, maybe, it'd make more sense if I could see it and not just think it.

I was born into a Christian family, and blindly accepted what information I was force-fed. School was telling me Dinosaurs, to Apes, to Humans, family and family friends were telling me God's hand to Humans. I had found only minor inconsistancies with the Bible, and ignored them as common human error. However, after recently as a few months ago watching most of the infamous youtube video "Zeitgeist", I began to question the ruptures in the smooth ground of blind faith. I decided I didn't believe in the Bible, Jesus, much less. I still do consider God to be a possibility, as I don't believe in the theory of evolution. It was only a short time ago I researched, and began to follow the path of Buddhism. It seemed to me that it was a virtuous and character developing philosophy (Not a religion, because I don't believe in Allah, or re-incarnation , among other aspects of Buddhism). After reading several threads on this very forum, and after a few epiphanies during dreams, or various highs, I began to question my belief in Buddhism, and Christianity. I say question my belief, because I am honestly not sure what to believe. The bible prophecised the rapture as several years of torment before/during the rise of the anti-Christ, and many aspects of it have shown true [For example, the extreme weather, war, rising amounts of evil etc., I won't get into specifics], whilst their are still many flaws in the passages. I don't believe now that Jesus is the only way to Heaven, and I don't entirely believe now that there is any such Heaven.

As of this Friday (The 15th of Aug.) I'll be doing Lysergic Acid Diethlymide [LSD] for the first time. I am doing it for the sole purpose of exploring my mentality. I have talked to several friends who recall religious apparitions and conversations with Jesus and God while on LSD. Some of them shrugged these off purely for hallucinations, others accepted them as visions, and accepted Christ, or other religions. I'm not really sure what I was hoping to achieve by writing or creating this thread, perhaps a better understanding of my beliefs, perhaps not. However, since I am drawing nearer and nearer to that final period, I will ask several questions I am hoping will prove beneficial to my Trip and to my own peace of mind.

What are your opinions on religions mentioned [or not mentioned] in this thread?

What might be some good questions and theories to explore [while on Acid or otherwise]?

Thoughts, Comments, Critique?

Again, I don't know what this thread was supposed to do for me, but knowing (Believing, at least) that some sort of Doomsday/apocalypse/etc. might be drawing near, I think it'd be best if I had myself figured out by the time I die. Referring to the thread, "Why are people afraid of Death?", i believe I would not be afraid if I knew what I expected.

ZeitGeist, 5 Seperate Parts to it:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

[  Edited by findingmyself at   ]
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not sure how to say this... But will give it a go.

You may want to research a little more on LSD...
Not that there are any safe drugs really (even alcohol is not that great)...

My thinking (be it a little misguided) is that certain drugs can be taken and influence the brain (& body), but once you stop taking the drug you can't (or can't easily) get back to how it was before...
I'm pretty sure it's limited to certain chemicals within the brain, but the possibility of irreversible change would turn me away...

One friend told me (probably based on certain strengths) that 7 trips will make you mad...

I worry for the situation you're in... And that one solution to the religion thing appears to be drugs, rather than 'time, thought and study'...
Because I'm sure you can do it another way, albeit a very different experience....

You're considering some very heavy stuff... To get a clear answer (as often with these things) can lead to another more complex question...
Life is full of mysteries, perhaps duller without them, and I'm not sure they're supposed to go away...

I feel it is tough when you encounter a mystery on something as big as an entire way of life...

I hope it really works out for you, and you make the decisions that are right for you....

See you around CC!

"There is no negative one..."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here's a couple of sites about brain damage from drugs...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071129121127.htm

http://www.drugabuse.gov/Nida_Notes/NNVol15N3/Brain.html

Not sure if there are similar effects specific to LSD....

Something to think about, though, I guess...

"There is no negative one..."
 32yrs • M •
bswildman is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I was born to a complete Christian family too, but at a very early age i started questioning. For kids fear is a much larger thing, and the only time i actually prayed was when i was scared. That pissed me off, so everytime i was scared at all i just forced myself to say Fuck you God. I didn't believe in God at that point but i think i was sorta saying Fuck religion. I'm now 16 and am agnostic with a lean towards an athiest views. I am now considering practicing Buddhism as a way of life. I don't believe in allah or karma. but i would like to find peace and perhaps not make the world a better place, but just not make it any worse

I don't really know what you're looking for but it hope this helped

31yrs • M •
findingmyself is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thanks BlackGold for the concern, but those sources are actually for drug damage done by freebase Cocaine, and Crystal Meth. LSD is a relatively safe drug.

wildman, yeah, that helped. Gave me something to relate to.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy