Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

A new theory about why world peace won't happen

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It seems every month or so there's always some new member complaining about the state of the world and how world peace will never happen and how people are greedy and selfish and that other people need to change in order for this utopia they have in their heads to exist. Well I've got an idea; why don't you take your own theories and ideas and apply them to YOURSELF first. This way you can see if they're any good or not before you start asking other people to follow them. Sort of a... test... ya know?

Everyone wants the rest of the world to change but definitely not themselves! They've already reached the state of perfection, right? Why change yourself when you've got the end-all theory, right? Yah yah, we know your story already. There was something wrong with you in high school and you weren't part of the "in" crowd and so you started philosophizing to find the solutions to life and hey, you found em'. So that's it. Now all you have to do is go to every forum on the internet and copy and paste some half-hearted complaint you made at 1:38 in the morning to get that world peace that means so much to you. Brilliant.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know. World peace is so easy from your house. In quiet suburbia where you dont even know the map of the world. I guess it feels sort of cool to pretend caring about the world. But not know about the state of Africa, or the current trend in population.

An apocalypse is coming. But the comfortable and happy are too busy exchanging gossip and comparing eyeliner to notice.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 36yrs • M
I admit I've BEEN that person. I was probably the poster boy for that person when I first came here. I probably still have some of that person left in me. I've had the realization though that mostly everything (if not everything, I'm not entirely sure yet) that's wrong in my life is because of something I did or didn't do (in this life and possibly past lives.)

I come off as scolding in my post which is too harsh for the people I'm addressing. Looking back, as corny as it sounds, the only person I was talking about in that post was my former self. I assumed the people talking about world peace were like who I was. The tone I used was definitely not a tone I should be talking to myself in. It's probably rooted from some hang-up within myself.

I know I shouldn't but I sometimes get angered and frustrated by ignorance. I see a similar situation playing itself out and I know there's not really anything I can do to help. These people have to experience the truth, they can't just hear it.

I've noticed I express more anger and frustration on the internet than in real life. Maybe it's because it's easier to be mean on the internet; less repercussions. I'm going to think about why I adopt that tone and work on being nicer in general.

I really do worry about my intentions a lot... I'm not inherently nice like I was when I was a kid. Jozen Bo's comment about karma keeps ringing in my mind. "We are entering a critical juncture and that stuff people call KARMA is now attracting its results quicker then in the past...we are approaching an era of instant Karma...where your own thoughts can kill yourself." It's a little off topic but has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Good insights Decius.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I was thinking that if we never tried to change people around us then new morals or thoughst or ideas wouldnt come about, i think perhaps people do wish to change and better theirselves at first but then they see how their ideas could help others and then start preaching it, or complaining, then just neglect their own personalities. Perhaps eveyone wishes to change theirselves but cant because its so hard so they just point fingers, because that is much easier.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The very idea of world peace is one of the most clichéd concepts, and not just on captaincynic. It is an "ultimate goal" many strive for, externally as well as internally. As Decius pointed out, there is a disconnection from others that we often feel which is a primary cause for disharmony. If we all loved one another, with strength, intellect and resolve then we would reach a higher state of harmonious living. Yet, this would only create a new level to strive toward. Few people have the intelligence required to love others healthily and fewer are capable of maintaining such a strong will to love others in addition to themselves above and beyond a survival level.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M
"i think perhaps people do wish to change and better theirselves at first but then they see how their ideas could help others and then start preaching it, or complaining, then just neglect their own personalities."

But what I'm saying is that no one should preach to another unless they're perfect. Instead of telling people how they should live or what they should do, why not just start by telling people the truth.

34yrs • F •
But what is the truth?

36yrs • M
Your own truth. How you really feel about something. What you really think about something. The truth is just not lying. It's that easy and it's that hard.

59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that NATuralMan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My opinion, which I'm sure EVERYONE is just drying for...

The human species is aprt of the animal kingdom. Chimps, our closest relatives, war among themselves. It is certainly "civilized" fr we to attempt to smother our more base animal insticts, but I feel no amount of change will end wards and bring peace to the world.

34yrs • F •
Chris, so if people sincerly preach what they consider to be true, because we know that nobody agrees on that, then its okay to preach as long as they arent lying. World peace will never be attained because we have difference of opinion and we are not either not intellectually superior enough to not allow that to cause such blown out of proportion issues, or we have to just accept that we are the way we are.
The reason i started to feely a bit edgy about religion was that they were so sure they knew the ultimate truth and everyone else was seeing a distorted image of the world, if it can be done on the basis of what we think is true then we will never know who is telling the truth in that situation, because unless we have some concrete proof we dont know who is lying, who is telling the truth, who knows the reality of something but lies to the masses, meh maybe theres proof, not for everyone.

36yrs • M
You tied what I said into belief. That's not the same thing. Everything I suggested you do is within everyone's power. It's something that will make small positive changes and give the right people more power and control.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Gabriel23 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To change the world, we must change the smallest details, details which are insided of each and everyone of us, I agree that we cannot force change upon people, but our individual actions can influence the understanding of those who surround us. If we make positive actions, and people see that we have attained personal happiness, perhaps they too will see the understanding of how it has manifested..We can only teach through interest. That's why I have a great distaste for material and people who seek material, you can't take that shit with you when you die, there are pleasures in this world far greater that the manifestation of material things. Gabe

"I never let the negativity of life, dull the beauty in my life."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy