Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Exams

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Exams
Okay help....

I have exams coming up soon.. in May.. and the problem is i am so crap at revsing.. im sure everyone on this site has sat some kind of exams.. so can anybody tell me their methods and i will try it..last exams i just kinda read books two weeks before hand.. i mean i just sat there and read.. so there must be better ways to do it..

Thanks.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I break it up in to sections and do little each day. Then I just incorporate what I learned the day before and add to it. So pretty much I do it little by little building on it until the test or I just don't study, but that is not recommended.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Cryptic has given you a good method.

I'd go swimming every moring for say half an hour and do nothing other than time how long I can hold my breath under water for - and then aim to beat it each time by say a second. This improves your brain capacity no end. It essentially widens the blood vessel system meaning when your out of water more oxygen gets to your organs (including your brain). Result - ability to have a longer attention span + other benefits.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It is highly dependent on your own learning skills. But here are a few tricks of the trade I have learned from people who really seem to know how to study well:

Write out (copy) your notes, or any important key information multiple times. Eight is the magic number but if there is a lot to be written, a few times is better than none!

Highlight concepts in different colored highlighters. Associating a concept with a color can help you remember it more readily.
*different fonts or letter sizing can also work

Flash cards. Tried and true method.

Repeat information out loud. You may feel silly but saying things out loud helps your brain process and stow away information.
*make up a song you can remember

If you like association methods, they can work very well! I did this with states and capitals long ago and I still know most of them. I also know that the capital of Oman is Muscat because of a funny story which ended with the line "Oh man! A muskrat!"

It's kind of gay sounding, and I cringe at the following statement, but if you make studying fun for yourself, you are much more likely to remember the information. So, just don't use a method you hate.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CodeWarrior is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Right this is how I got through my maths degree.
1 attend all lectures
2 do all the example problems they give you (or as many as you have time for)
3a for revision go through all your notes once carefully and copy down all the key theories and formulas on to a crib sheet.
3b Examine past papers for the exam. see what sort of questions come up.
3c if there are any proofs you think you might have trouble with, especially if they are likely to come up, try writing out the theorem and then proving it with out referencing your notes or the course text book (or referencing as little as possible).
4 re do any example problems you were given that look similar to things that appeared on previous exams.
5 attempt to do past paper exams as mock exams.
6 in the few days before the exam scan your crib sheet over and over.

of course that's just for maths.

Exams
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy