Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

on drinking

User Thread
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pumpkinlove is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
on drinking
so many people i know.. mainly people ages 21-25 drink alot.. maybe 2-4 times a week. they go to parties and say theyre just having a good time and living it up. but im just wondering why people at these parties drink . .
a lot of them are doing it just to fit in... some are stressed... some have problems at home.
i mean.. what is a "good" reason to drink... like how do you justify it?
so many times ive ended up in my bedroom talking to people who get overemotional and say im so druuunk. this is whats going wrong in my life lately...
thoughts?

""if you can\'t handle me at my worst, then you don\'t deserve me at my best.\""
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I personally have never drank to suppress a bad day. If I do drink, which might happen like - 2 times a month - if that, It's just all in fun because the small group of people I agree to drink with are all happy drunks and do it for the same reason I do.

I do feel really bad though, for those people who do feel the need to drink their problems away for the night... as if they're just going to disappear in the morning...

I'm guessing people in that age range just have a lot going on around that time. School, family, living, relationships, etc... for some, there might be a lot on their plate, and since a lot of people around that age range like to drink, they have that little "excuse" to slip in and join the crowd.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well I don't really drink that much but when I do I justify it by not getting drunk. When I drink I just do it because I want to. I don't drink to get drunk. The only time I have been drunk was once to go through he experience but other than that I keep it light and just soak up the company not the boos.

I have been at parties before where people do drink and I mean a lot and pass out. I am usually the person with my girlfriend who does not drink that helps people if they are bad. So I have been in your situation before and it is sad to see people like that.

Most of the time I see these people getting piss drunk because they are troubled and in my mind drinking is not away to get rid of pain, no substance can do that. Back to your original question about justifying drinking I don't really believe there is a good reason, but I try to justify by not getting drunk . If anyone has justification fro drinking i would really like to know?

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When I was a teenager I had one plan with alcohol. Drink as much as you can as fast as you can. Ah... good times and some sick times. I would say that happened from ages 13-17

Now I have learned to pace myself. It is better that way.

I usually can drink 80 oz of Old English which is 8% in Canada or like 2 pitchers of beer which is like 5%

But, Why do people drink? There are several reasons.

1) To escape boredom. It is something you could be doing

2) When you drink people will do things they would not normally do which calls for funny, sexual, and entertaining situations.

3) If you drink socially it creates bonding

4) Food, particularly greasy food tastes really good

5) Ugly women get hot

6) Beer tastes really good

7) Meet new people

Yes some people get very emotional when they drink but those people have problems and because they have been drinking they are not afraid to let it out. It is not directly the alcohol that is causing the problems but it is whatever they are emotional about. Those people need counseling.

My advice to those who are reluctant to drink is join the party. Part of life is making the best of the situation(when life gives you lemons make lemonade). You can sit there and be like this is stupid or you can have a good time. Which is part of drinking. Nobody says you need to drink a lot just make sure you are having a good time.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zyphon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there are some people who drink because they like the way they are when there drunk. there a little bit more care-free and much less tense. the can have fun easier. not everyone drinks to get drunk for a bad reason. when drunk my self rules stay the same but walking doesnt.

"sad is the heart that loves. its usually broken"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tazzlyn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A lot of people drink because a lot of people drink. If that makes sense. It's widely accepted. The media portrays it as a very fun, social activity among all parties, cultures and ethnicities of people.

Also, drinking makes people stupid - and I don't mean that as an insult, but as a fact.

And we all know ignorance is bliss.

Some do drink their troubles away. And for the skiddish, they drink, because it's "courage in a can".

I, having an alcoholic mother and grandmother, have never touched the stuff and see no reason to. I never hear good stories involving alcohol and I don't like how it changes people. Above are listed reasons why people DO drink, but I don't think there are ever ANY legitimate reasons to drink.

"Inspire."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One good reason to drink is that it makes you feel good. You know? Happy. There is nothing wrong with feeling good or happy.

I think the problem is that because drinking makes you feel good, alot of people then think the only way they can be happy is by using an artificial means.

Drinking augments alot of good feelings. This is not bad in itself. Its the reliance on this as a crutch to be happy which is the problem.

Its like anything that is part of our society. Its the people who use it who cause the problems. And unstable people who use a substance which takes away restraint and inhibitions are not a good mix.

But that doesn't mean that everyone who drinks turns into a retard. Nor does it mean that alcohol is bad just because irresponsible people drink and it makes them stupider than normal.

I know that there are so many problems associated with alcohol. Im not advocating it. But it has been around for hundreds of years and we have coped all this time.

I really dislike everyone looking at all the bad things and saying that alcohol can ONLY ever cause unhappiness. And there is no good reason to drink.

What people are failing to take into account, is that you only ever hear about times drinking causes a problem. And failing to mention it usually involves people with problems to begin with.

But every night all around the world, responsible people can go to dinner parties, bars, nightclubs, parties, sit down and watch a ball game, go on dates, small get togethers, you name it- and have a drink and not have the slightest problem.

And if you counted all the millions and millions of times in human history, every nite, all around the world, humans have gotten drunk. And all the times it has had negative consequences or not been a problem at all, you would probably find the times when nothing has happened far outweighs the negative.

Please dont name me the spokesman for getting drunk. What you do with your own bodies is your own business. Its up to everyone in life to take account and responsibility for their own actions. If you have problems when you drink then dont do it.

If people get drunk and bash their wives its not the alcohol that is the problem. Its the person. If they didn't drink they would probably find another vice equally destructive. And when people play Dungeons and Dragons and then kill themselves it doesn't mean Dungeons and Dragons is necessarily evil and there is no reason for anyone to play it.

People with problems will always gravitate to things which can dull their emptiness and take away the pain. And those same people can still cause the same amount of chaos, whether straight, sober, stoned, or from Mars.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 40yrs • M •
Nixon2008 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well said. Some cultures have more of a drinking problem than others, its up to the people governing these cultures to irradicate the problem at the root by changing the society and the mind set of the people living there (maybe through the media, advertsing, education, alternatives etc). Thats a tall order and and the people who could make those changes are too busy thinking about climate change. That cynical enough for ya?!

So maybe its up to the people in these areas then?

on drinking
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy