Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Knowing/Understanding love

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have been wondering why people (usually older) assert certain teens even my age or a little younger could not possibly know what love is towards another person (as in a boyfriend or girlfriend)

The only point I see for their argument is how many years older they are compared to you. But is it possible that one could experience this emotion earlier than the one who declines the claim? With saying this, it seems to me, all they're saying is that "I've loved longer than you."

Which leads me to believe that one does not need an extended period of time to know what love is, but rather to understand what that love means between you and your significant other.

Does it make sense to tell someone what their feelings are? Or do most people (mainly parents) just say something like that because they didn't experience that emotion until much later in their life?

Parents, especially, I want you to reply and share your opinion. Are you confused what to say when your children say something like this, and just say they're too young? Do you even understand what you're really saying when you say "you don't know what love is"? Do you not want your children to know what love is until they're older? Why?

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When you are young you think you are in love. As you get older you realize that love does not really exist. Like who really actually loves someone Becuase, you are older you realize that when things do not work out it is not a big deal.

Although I am not much older than you are I realize that my perception of love has changed dramatically in these years. When I was younger the argument to why this is true does not really make sense. It will come to you with age.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
As you get older you realize that love does not really exist

The idea of what "love" is doesn't exist? What am I supposed to call this feeling I feel every day?

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tibby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think older adults really mean you don't know what love is. I think they are using a hyperbole to keep you "in check", and remind you that they've have more experience then you.

You probably don't know as much about love as they do, but don't let them disrespect you with this "you don't know anything" crap. People their age don't seem to have this love thing figured out either, so where do they have any room to talk?

"Does anyone here know what Occam's Razor is!?"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy