Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Smokin for pain

User Thread
 48yrs • M •
txbull75 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Smokin for pain
I have had pure hell for some time due to a car wreck. I now smoke 3-4 times a day (about 15 grams ) a day to help relieve the pain. During the course of about a year and a half I no longer use any pain killers or muscle relaxers. The use of medicinal marijuana actually was mentioned by a pain management doctor, during one of my monthly office visits. The problem I have is simple, I still have pain that breaks through. Does anyone have any suggestions, should I do more? With the amount that I use nobody can even tell that I have smoked. And one last question, does anyone know if there is something in marijuana that speeds up the nerve regeneration process? I seem to be recovering at a much faster rate after begining to smoke. Just curious as to how many of us there are using this for medicine blindly. I know it works but can't seem to find much information on this subject that is not incredibly biased, or just plain bull s#*t.

"If it works dont fix it!!!"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Although there are about 400 chemicals in cannabis satvia, the one that I think you are explaining is Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). In Pharmacology, breakthroughs in recent research have come to see that this chemical seems to possess many 'medicinal properties'. That being said I would note that among that research they've discovered that THC can/has acted as an analgesic which would explain the temporary relief of your physical pains. Seeing as though you smoke 3-4 times a day to relieve this pain, it must be something traumatic. However, like most things smoking marijuana has its trade offs, so I don't think I would encourage any more than you're taking in now. look into those trade offs for yourself and decide from there though.

Another thing I was wanted to know is- how is your physical therapy coming along? I've realized that rather that suppressing the pain and leaving it at that, can actually cause more problems. What I would suggest is using marijuana as a means (or tool) of suppression as you improve your physical therapy and during the recovery see if you can ween yourself from it.

Another thing I would like to know is- are you trying other methods of recovery? ie. natural herbs, teas, meditation, other forms of therapy?

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 48yrs • M •
txbull75 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have been in physical therapy for about a year now. I first started my lower back was broken at the sacrum, and @ T-4. My neck was just cracked and there has been nothing done to it. At that point I still could not walk due to pain. I have progreesively worked up to almost 1 full mile of steady walking at a slow but steady pace. I am learning to tolerate the pain and have been weaning off for a while now. I just want to be certain that the pot is doing what I think it is doing. After about a day and a half the pain becomes intolerable, sick to stomach, cant sleep, and the migrane headaches. These symptoms all subside weither I take a pill or smoke a small bowl. Now my question about if marijuana helped nerves stems from two different symptoms that I have. The first is numbness from severed nerves. According to the neurologist they are repairing themseves at a record pace. I am not noticing this, but I have noticed that when I lay down to sleep my legs jerk. They do this in my sleep as well as when I am awake. I can't really feel it but it is quite noticeable. Now to solve this problem I smoke a small bowl before bed. This stops the jerking and twitching that goes on? I most certainly do not believe pot is a "cure all" but I do know it helps several things that are physically wrong with me, along with excersize and diet. As far as vitamins and herbs I take Esiak capsules 450mg. L-Lysine 475mg. an omega 3, and multivitamins from the herb shop. So I am sure that the marijuana is not working alone, but I find it hard to aquire much info on what chemicals are doing what. Thanks for your insight, I find all information intresting and appriciate every bit of it I can get. The only downfall I have found is short term memory loss. I have thought about maybe taking some sort of suppliment that targets mind health?

"If it works dont fix it!!!"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The first is numbness from severed nerves. According to the neurologist they are repairing themseves at a record pace.

the only thing I could think of about this is that the marijuana really takes your mind off the pain and that allows for a concentrating regeneration. Like if you think about the pain that might have something to do with it taking longer. But that is a complete guess.

as for the muscle spasms I would recommend extra calcium. magnesium, lecithin, protein, and extra vitamin C. But I'm sure those other supplements you are taking are providing those.

quote:
but I find it hard to aquire much info on what chemicals are doing what

As soon as I get the time, I'll find as many of the chemicals that relate to helping these symptoms.. I can't recall where I've seen it off hand.

quote:
The only downfall I have found is short term memory loss. I have thought about maybe taking some sort of suppliment that targets mind health?

Short-term memory loss is a very common 'downfall', but from my own personal experience, they're so minor it hasn't affected me in any significant way. But Ginkgo Biloba supplements can help with an increase in memory. Which basically just helps with blood flow to tissues, namely, to the brain.

34yrs • M •
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info2.shtml

There we go I remembered the site name haha. If you have the time, sift through some of these chemicals active in the plant, and you might come across a few that you're looking for pertaining to your questions

But like I said, THC is probably the most likely candidate.

Smokin for pain
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy