Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Qualities of Reaction derived from Qualities of Stimulus

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is a quite straight-forward question...

Do the qualities of a reaction derive their nature from the qualities of the stimulus?

I think the answer is 'Yes, at least in part.'

So what do I mean when I say the nature is derived?

I'll give some examples...

1) Let's say you are at a loud concert. The music from the speakers is so loud you can't hear yourself think. So what happens? Basically you try and match the loudness of the speakers by making the voice in your head louder.

2) Let's say you are at a ceremony where the entire room is quiet, and listening to the speaker at the front. What happens here? This time you don't need as much effort sounding your thoughts to hear them, and the louder those thoughts are the more uncomfortable you may feel. So you end up making the voice in your head quieter.

Okay, but that's just sound, yeah? Still indicative, but one may want more...

Let's look at paying attention, focussing or concentrating...
At this time you are required to attune to the stimulus before you can develop a clear reaction.
When you attune, you 'go with the flow' and 'get in touch with the vibe'. This would mean that to succeed well in reacting appropriately you start with the stimulus itself by being familiar with it.

So what kind of characteristics may be qualities that are derived?

Things like timing, meter, and rhythm.
Things like pitch, vibration, and loudness.
Things like colour, brightness and resolution co-ordination.

You get the idea...

Now all that you need to do is answer the question...

'Do the qualities of a reaction derive their nature from the qualities of the stimulus?'

When you answer the question, you will need to decide whether you can truly be free to think whatever you want when dealing with a particular stimulus, or whether to deal with that stimulus means responding within the same style derived from it's qualities...

So, what do you think?

"There is no negative one..."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ryuzaki is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In inanimate objects, the reaction to stimulus is rather straight forward, action-reaction. With a living creature however, it becomes much more complicated with the introduction of DNA programmed reactions. A single celled organism or a virus reacts based on the stimulus and they're natural response. A stronger poke will create a stronger response within the organism's capacity. In this simple scenario I would have to fully agree with you.

In humans and more complicated creatures of the world, their response to stimuli becomes much more sophisticated with more sophisticated bodies and minds. The addition of intelligently controlling one's response to a stimuli based on conditioning and memory will effect the reaction to a stimulus. In this I would have to say it isn't a rule of thumb that the quality of stimulus is in direct proportion to quality of reaction.

Conditioning, however, takes place at all levels in life it can, not just in humans.
Any animal that has ears can become deaf by over stimulation, at which any further stimulus won't have a similar effect in comparison.

"Experience of personal reality verifies existence."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy