Morality is simply the attitude we adopt toward people we personally dislike. - Oscar Wilde
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Emo

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Emo
What on earth is an emo? sub of goth sub of punk, what?

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 32yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that xloobyloox is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My definition

bah emos are fucking annoying little shits. they take the fashion of punks and goths and turn it into what they say is "emo"

the word emo means emotional.

emo is also a genre of music: "screamo" like...my chemical romance or lostprophets new shit.

Urban dictionary's definition:

quote:
Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.

but what ever way you put it, they just took a bunch of shit from everyone else and called it their own.

like i said, annoying little shits.

"Why kill the bumblebee when your the pain in the ass?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Emo is one of the newer terms used to describe the group of self proclaimed outsiders in youth culture. This group almost certainly always has and always will exist, constantly mutating in order to proclaim that they are now the true outsiders.

Once the mutation is popularized, they are no longer accepted as outsiders and a new mutation must form.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If these mutations always exist then what was the mutation before emo?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 40yrs • M •
Well everybody goes around trying to classify themselves all of the time so it's really difficult to pinpoint each one of them. I've heard way more groups than the ones I am about to mention, but these are some main ones placed in a rudimentary order based on my limited knowledge.

Beatniks --> Hippies --> Punks --> Goths --> Emos

These are classifications from self proclaimed social groups within the U.S. mind you. Other groups that I am totally oblivious to sprout up all over the world all of the time.

[  Edited by Wyote at   ]
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
everyone seems to hate emos, but im sure all subcultures are hated at the start. i guess people just want to be depressed, after listening to so much music when i was younger i thought i hated my dad and that i wanted to tkill myself, then i realised that that was the singer, not me.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 40yrs • M •
Actually each group starts out relatively unnoticed. It's only when the originators of the group are copied by the masses that they become hated. Emos have been around quite a bit longer than you might think. I'd imagine that the fruity looking goths from the mid to late 90's could be considered the original Emos. Similarly, the darker scarier looking punks could be considered original goths.

They're all pretty much the same in the end. People striving to find individuality while simultaneously creating a group which no longer makes them individuals.

32yrs • F
"I want to be a non-conformist just like everyone else" lmao

40yrs • M •
What I am interested in now is predicting what will be next. Who do Emos dislike and ridicule amongst their own kind? Surely there is a small diverging group at this very moment, which does not have a name but is different enough to be seen. Five or ten years from now we will all hate some other group for no real reason other than because they are everywhere.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ChokingV is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to answer her's question emo grew out of the post-punk subculture of the 90's. i believe the band cursive is considered to be a founder.

and as for what the new thing is, well, at my old high school some of the emo kids decided that they were now 'scene'. which means that they wear basically the same clothes, and act basically the same, they just listen to shitty hardcore music. mind you this isn't 'hardcore punk' this is just 'hardcore'. exactly what that means, your guess is as good as mine.

"i don't like the idea of "nothingness", it makes me anxious"
 32yrs • F
the whole scene kid thing is dumb as well. they have this thing where they say they're straight edge. where the have a cross on their hand and it means they dont do drugs drink or have sex. lmao

In england emos hate chavs which is the like english version of a "wigga" lmao. um

pratically all my friends turned into an emo so... their hates were...baggy clothes lmfao. idk.. just think of what they like and then you'll find their dislikes. so they like screamo music they wont like hip hop and so forth..

35yrs • M •
Kaøs is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The genre of "emo" is not "screamo" that is an entirely different genre.My chemical romance is indeed a band in the emo genre.Emo is a new stereotype group that involves wearing tight fitting clothing,multi toned distracting hair,peircings and tattoos.Scene kids are pretty much the same as emo kids.scene kids are the kids that want to dress emo but dont want to be labeled "emo".Straightedge is different from all of this,they dont have crosses on their hands,they have X's.Which marks them as straightedge and that means they abstain form alcohol,tobacco, other drugs and promiscuous sex.Some also abstain from caffein and some go as far as becoming a vegetarian or vegan.And it was said that they took a bunch of stuff from everyone else and called it their own,well isnt that how alot of groups got their look?

32yrs • F
when i said cross i meant an X. you basically just repeated what everyones been saying.

35yrs • M •
Kaøs is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
No I corrected all ur mistakes.U dont know what ur talking about so I needed to clear it up.

42yrs • M •
Jesse is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
My psychological impression of emo is something akin to "wearing your feelings on your sleeve". These feelings generally seem expressive of (or at least desire to express) negative self-awareness and cognition, as in the form of alienation and/or personal angst.
Every major youthful movement, sub-culture, or otherwise identifiable mass grouping of people unifies in that it adopts/creates individual trends in response to the (social) environment in which it began. The manner in which a new, typically generational sense of group identity is forged depends on the time and the place -- though one constant is adopting behavior which at least on the surface challenges preexisting social norms/conventions.
--------------------

"What I am interested in now is predicting what will be next. Who do Emos dislike and ridicule amongst their own kind? Surely there is a small diverging group at this very moment, which does not have a name but is different enough to be seen. Five or ten years from now we will all hate some other group for no real reason other than because they are everywhere."
Interesting question, though it seems particularly difficult to answer or even speculate on at the moment due to the proliferation and cross-pollination of (intra-national) cultures, sub-cultures, sub-sub-cultures, etc...

Emo
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy