Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

fear - what makes it?

User Thread
 33yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mudd is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
fear - what makes it?
What do you think fear is? How is it created? Why do we fear?
What are the elements and principles that cause this feeling?

""LIe to me",she whispered. "I love you",he said."
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fear is basically a psychological, emotional response to a threatening stimuli and is a survival mechanism.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 51yrs • F •
Yes I agree, it is a conditionally learnt response to past stimuli.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 33yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mudd is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree with Decius, but I had a different theory. My theory was that people fear because they don't want to be hurt. They fear love because they don't want to get hurt or hurt someone else. People fear the unknown because they don't know how they will be affected by it. They fear the dark because of the things that go bump in the night, which could possibly hurt them. Fear is created by the defense of not wanting to be hurt physically, emotionally, and mentally. It just makes sense to me.

""LIe to me",she whispered. "I love you",he said."
 44yrs • M •
The Philosopher is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
As others said, fear is a defense mechanism that is based on past stimuli. To overcome fear, it is important to remember to control our emotions instead of letting our emotions control us. The way to do this is when you feel fear, remember to calm down, take a deep breath, and think rationally about the situation or find a way to distract your mind from the source of the fear. It takes practice, but I believe anyone can overcome their fears if they are willing to try.

"I don\'t know why I am here, but I am, so I might as well make the most of it."
 76yrs • M •
oldcorps1947 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Fear is the Flight part of "Fight or Flight" response.

"Life is an adventure of discovery."
 51yrs • F •
Actually I would say fight or flight is only a small part of the mechanism involved with fear. And wouldn't you say that it is only the flight part that would be associated with the fear and the fight response would mean you have overcome the fear?

76yrs • M •
oldcorps1947 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Sorceress, you are so correct, even in the fight mode there is fear, especially if it is a fight for life and death.
Maybe fear is a the results of evolution, when we are in the fear mode, our heart rate increases, adrenline increases, veins narrow (to slow blood loss) and provide more oxgen to the brain.
Is it possible that fear is related to our concern about a future event or thoughts of harm?
For example; fear of heights=possible harm from falling.

"Life is an adventure of discovery."
 38yrs • F •
sweetygirl is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Fear is an unpleasant feeling of anxiety or apprehension caused by the presence or anticipation of danger.

"simplicity is what makes all perfect..."
 75yrs • F •
tfi is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
fear is all of the above, especially mudd's theory, plus 'lack of confidence.'
when a person is confident that they can handle any situation that may arise, fear doesnt seem to rear it's ugly head....at least as much.

fear - what makes it?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy