Life is often hard. The blade is my only comfort. i used to rely on you, but since the last heartbreak i desided that my own blood, and my self are the only things that cares about me. - Blood_princess
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Who is Imposing on Whom?

User Thread
 44yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Digital_Kitten is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Who is Imposing on Whom?
Dear all,

I'd love to know what each and everyone of you think on this social dilemma. Recently, I may have stepped on my best-friend's toes due to differences in our ideas of how friends should be treated.

I went out with her and her long-distance boyfriend who is visiting Vancouver for a month for some dinner. It all ended on a high-note, and we spontaneously decided to cap the night off with some dancing and drinking at a club. Before we were to do that, we all wanted to go back to our respective apartments to freshen up. However, by the time I stepped into my own apartment, I realized that I felt tired; and I wanted to just curl up with a comforter, and zone out in front of the T.V., or a book. The reason being, that the previous night I waited for a friend to land from Toronto, and their plane was delayed from 12:30a.m. until 3:30a.m. landing time. By the time, I drove them home - it was 6:30a.m. in the morning. I promptly called my best-friend to inform her the bad news, and apologized. She gave me a curt, "Well, Fine." and gave me a double-dose of the cold treatment today when I called her. I know exactly what her beef was about. She didn't like the fact that I had verbally said, "yes" to going out, and immediately pulled back from it. Her stance is that friends shouldn't be unreliable to one another, and if you've said yes to doing something, you should do it. I, on the other hand believe that one should be able to change one's mind if one wants to. Why would anyone want their friends to hangout out of obligation? It's only clubbing and that sort of thing can be done on any night, and if SHE were to ask for help if she were stranded on a high-way, and I didn't show up, being upset would have been more reasonable. So, I'm throwing this out to the rest of you and wondering what you guys think.
Do you think that people should be allowed to change their minds, or do you think they should do something even after they don't feel like it afterwards?

"Don't tell me there is only black and white."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It does say something about a person's reliability if they frequently back out on verbal agreements. In friendships however, both people make the choice to continue the friendship knowing full well of eachothers habits. Your "friend" needs to recognize this facet of your personality and make a decision as to whether or not they can deal with your spontaneity. You must also be aware of how it makes your friend feel when they have been counting on you for something and you decide to change your mind about it. If you can't meet eachother halfway, you shouldn't be friends.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
Who is Imposing on Whom?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy