Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Guitarists?

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tazzlyn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Guitarists?
Just curious if they're any other guitarists on this site. And tell me who inspires you as a band, or just as a guitarist. Some inspirational guitarists for me are: John Petrucci (Favorite), Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughn and, of course, David Gilmour. Some guitarists, I do respect, but don't quite like. Such as Joe Satrioni(SP?), Yngwie Malmsteen and Santana. Then there's those who are just plain good and I don't have an opinion on. Like Jimi Hendrix and Rik Emmitt. But yeah! Tell me who you like and stuff. Even if you're not a guitarist.

"Inspire."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've been playing the guitar for a little while. My inspirations though, are not any great guitarists. Frankly, I find that the better you get, the more you're just up your own ass. Seriously, it seems that these amazing guitarists don't give two shits about the music, just about how complicated and skillful each thing they play is. With that said, I have a few inspirations.

-30 Seconds to Mars - great band, they really try to create their own sound and they have, good stuff.

-Elliott Smith - he's got a lot of depressing stuff but I feel he's a genius song writer.

-The Beatles - mostly after they took LSD, their trippy music is unrivaled.

-AFI - Nothing from their new CD, which I was a bit disappointed with. Kinda seemed like they sold out but who knows. Their older stuff was just cool. They weren't afraid to try something knew and their sound reflected that.

-As I Lay Dying - The only hardcore band I like, which says a lot because I hate hardcore.

That's all I can think of right now, good thread.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 33yrs • M •
Yeah, I know what you mean there. They're kinda like "Look at how fast and good I can play." Like frickin' Micheal Angelo Batio. That guy annoys the crap out of me. In my music, I try to incorporate skill. But I never lose my passion. It's always about the music and having fun playing it. And as for the bands...30 Seconds to Mars is good. I like them a lot, I agree with their own sound. Don't really like the Beatles, but they are good. A.F.I. I don't like them so much either, but they're good. And As I Lay Dying is probably one of the most brutal bands I've heard. Their drummer is seriously talented. But I'm not too big on them either.

"Inspire."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
some great guitarists are :
- Gary Moore
- Brian May (Queen)
- Carlos Santana

Gary moore is a particular favourite as he produced some amazing material without relying on sheer speed. a lot of guitarists do amazingly fast solos, but moore does slow solos but his sound is so beatifully clear and he shows that he can do the speed with sudden bursts.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thelivingend is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
steve vai

yay

"and then, everyone died."
 30yrs • M •
Markh is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I was thinking of starting but i couldnt be bothered

36yrs • M
"I was thinking of starting but i couldnt be bothered"

You couldn't be bothered to start playing guitar so you ventured into a guitar thread about what music inspires your guitar playing to tell everyone this?

34yrs • M •
hey quick question:

i hate it when fingerprints get on my fret bord and i can't get them off. Is there anyway easy to remove them (The finger prints) without takeing off me strings and dismantleing my guitar? Im not talking about dust, but dirt and grime that builds up over time. Thanks for the help

btw i do play the guitar, but im still kinda learning. If anyone could post some hints into how to learn more advanced stuff, please let me know thanks

36yrs • M
Yah, the dirt and grime does build up but the only time you can really get it is when you restring your guitar. So the next time you string your guitar, before you put your strings on, scrape that stuff off with your finger nail or in those hard to reach places with a pick. It's also good to use a dry cloth to get a lot of it. Don't use any water, I'm pretty sure it warps the fret board.

33yrs • M •
About that dirt stuff. I dunno if you can get it off without changing the strings. But you should change the strings regularly. And when you do, Fender makes a fretboard cleaner that works miracles. Another thing, don't be TOO careful with your fretboard. It's going to get dirty and grimy no matter what you do. But be sure to clean it whenever you change the strings.

"Inspire."
 34yrs • M •
thanks for the hints guys. That fender fret cleaner stuff sounds tite. And thanks for telling me to not use any water. (Glad i waited for help first!) I dono about fingernails.... first i dont have any, and second i would be to worried that they would leave some scraches that would ruin my guitar. But thanks for the advice.

PS. i used "pledge" dusting spray, and it seemed to work flawlessly. Fretbord is nice and shiny, and i didn't spend half my paycheck on overpriced products. Horray for walmart!

36yrs • M
The fretboard on any decent guitar (or at least any guitar I've played) seems almost unscratchable with a fingernail or pick. The standard wood that's used is really effin' hard. On most nicer guitars I believe they use ebony, the densist wood in the world. It's natural color is black and if you compare its weight to other types of wood it really doesn't feel like wood at all but almost like some kind of metal.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gildon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My inspirations are:

The Iron Maiden guys - Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
Formerly of Savatage - Criss Oliva
Jimi Hendrix
Ex. Ozzy Osbourne guitarist - Randy Rhoads
Chuck Berry
B. B. King
Keith Richards
Zakk Wylde
And my personal favorite Tony Iommi

"The thief is the heart, the world is in his pocket."
 36yrs • M
PAUL GILBERT IS GOD

34yrs • M •
I gues this is the new official guitar thread, so im gona ask another question.

Were do you guys get your music? Do you make it up, tab it up, learn from others, listen to beats and dish out your own punishment? etcc...

also, if you do snag tabs, what websites do you use? im lookin for a few good ones

Guitarists?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy