Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero (Seize the day with little trust in the future) - Horace
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

McDonaldization taking over the world

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Are young people forming a new, global culture? Increased communication and travel through advancing technology, along with international business is breaking down barriers that held people apart for so long. My second question is this: what will the world be like 50 years from now? Will everyone know English? Will Westernization and McDonalidization erode traditions? I can't picture an apocolypse of cultures, but I am getting a sense of major cultural changes in different countries from what I've been reading and hearing.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The easiest of all those questions to answer would be will everyone know English, quite possibly. Though with Europe gaining a stronger presence in the world though slowlly im sure they will slow or stop any real advance of the english language taking over. Im sure it will still be big of course. As for the McDonalidization well lets hope that doest keep spreading and leave it at that.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There's an underlying assumption that everything Western is better than anything else. This assumption's been around since the Imperial Age. As long as this assumption continues to take root in minds, we will be moving towards a global culture. If economic power starts shifting away from Europe and the UK, we might see some change in global attitudes.

However, time can change much. Another world war can change all this.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Another world war would do that, though if Einstein was right about world war 4 being fought with sticks and stones I doubt that it would help much.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The easiest of all those questions to answer would be will everyone know English, quite possibly. Though with Europe gaining a stronger presence in the world though slowly I'm sure they will slow.
hmm, Greek was once the common language because of their (seafaring) trading & advancements had come into common usage. While English has become a common language aboard due to trade, we see many areas in the USA have bilingual access in Spanish.
Education seems incline toward bilingual or multiple languages such things may produce a common language as terms from different languages come into common use.
quote:
Will Westernization and McDonalidization erode traditions?
Interesting use "McDonaldization", but then the supposed Christian => democracy accepted China's allowing capitalism into mainland China as an indication of China's acceptance of the American Way => Christian democracy!

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy