Anyone can make anyone cry... But it takes a Genius to make someone laugh. - 68 firebird
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Your outlook on life

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Disenchanted is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Your outlook on life
We love people; we hate people. We get promoted; we lose $30,000 in the stock market. We want something because it will make us happy; we get it and are disappointed that it has not turned out as we'd hoped.

We all seek happiness and when we find it, it doesn't last long. We'll want more; something new. We crave change, but that inevitably brings pain and so we're stuck in an endless cycle that may bring temporary happiness, but we know we'll feel pain again. This either makes our good times even sweeter, or it spoils them. For me, it spoils them.

What's your outlook? I'm curious to see how many are mostly positive or negative.

43yrs • F •
fyrfly is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
my outlook on life? usually positive. of course, i have my moments, and i'm quite cynical (obviously), but i definately have my hopes up and i keep faith in everything.

"never give up, never give in"
 39yrs • F •
jennabean is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Life is what we make it, we have good and bad times, but so does everyone. Learning to know whats the right thing for you is the key to happiness, this involves being honest with yourself and trusting your instincts.

""Your goal is to find out who you are\\\""
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As my name and presence on this forum would suggest i'm pretty cynical about things. I tend to take life as it comes and deal with it when it does, by not expecting stuff i rarely find my self disappointed, sad but true.

I also try to never take anything particularly seriously, i agree with the outlook of the character silk in the david eddings "Belgariad + Mallorean" series, "If I don't laugh at life, I'd probably end up crying".

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My Outlook on life is neither positive or negative. Yes, I'm living, but I'm living to die. Is death a failure, or a successful climax to a life? Is love nothing more than a reproductive urge to ensure the survival of my genetic material, or is it something more? Success is success, failure is failure, one in the spotlight, one in the shadows, but are both not required to see the whole picture? These dualities tell my outlook on life not because I choose one, nor the other, not both, but neither. These complexities, which are perfectly clear to me but I do not understand in the slightest, make me get out of bed each morning to try and learn it all by figuring out that I know nothing.

In a bit less contradicting terms....

I just live for the questions, and sometimes seriously hope I never find the answers, but I keep on looking.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PneumoniaHawk is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is one quote that I live by, and this will never change.

"Dance like noones watching you, and love like you've never been hurt." Alexisonfire

"You get custody, I get your life."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Endless Feed is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
recently I have had a personal revolation, i have found having a positive outlook makes positive things happen, its a miracle but it works. Once i lessnd the depression things have been better, sure there are outbreaks. Anyway, that is a good quote and it really dose help. A good vibe is the best thing you can have.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well.. since I have had it ingraved onto my body, I have a positive and hopeful outlook on life for the most part. I always have and always will have hope that there will always be something new to look forward to. So, even through the most depressing times of my life, I'll somehow manage to pull through and not do something I would later regret.

something that I am experiencing right now actually, and is working very well for me.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cujo0424 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think I live by looking on the brighter side of things, but perhaps you could say that in the very general sense of life, we all have pretty much the same experience whether we have a positive or negative outlook on things. Maybe we frown at everything that comes our way and curse what terrible luck we have, and maybe we look on the bright side of things and see how this can benefit us - in the long run we've all experienced happiness, sadness, laughter, crying, etc. And I think the people who tend to live with a negative outlook on life are the people who generalize it in their outlook on it. Maybe a stressed out law school student who's pessimistic because he/she knows as soon as their free time is up, it's back to work and more work and more work, but they have the idea that they're just gonna get through this task that is eternally horrible so they can get to the happy part, when they're a successful lawyer, etc. However, I think once you dedicate your mind to thinking in a certain situation,

"Alright, I'm just gonna haul ass through this whole thing. Every fiber of its being is gonna be a pain in my ass, but I'm just gonna bite my lip and move through it all,"

you forbid yourself from enjoying the smaller pleasures of life, and also, it becomes addicting. As you originally said. We look for happiness in one thing, find we don't have enough there, and we go on to something else. Well, if you're continuously searching for happiness and you maintain that mindset until you've found the indefinite source of it - in the crudest but most modern terminology - you're fucked for good. And so I think it's this fascination and obsession some people have with the idea of success and the search for a source of eternal happiness. However, I find that the source for eternal happiness is existence (happiness in small doses for more people than seems fun to admit, but happiness nonetheless).

""Scared is not the right word...I'm frightened of it..."---Love & Death"
Your outlook on life
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy