Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Feminism

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Feminism
We have feminism why can't we have masculinism?

Is masculinism evil?

""No words""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Feminism is one of the most misused and misunderstood terms. The way that it is used is most often in reference to the feminist movement, which has little to do with behaving more feminine. The word simply refers to advocating equal rights of men and women. Since we live in a prodominately masculine society, the term was coined to promote balance of both sides.

We do have masculinization and feminization everywhere.

Everyone should recognize the importance of both genders.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 44yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Digital_Kitten is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is masculinism evil?

NOt really. I would think not. There are many things that women are allowed to do socially and frowned upon when done by a man. For example, crying during a movie, crying openly about something that affects one to the core, uhm, what else - being able to wear skirts. Oh, and last but not least, being able to kiss the same sex w/out severe prosecution of being gay. So, I suppose in those regards... men have less perameters to explore their emotional side and are constantly told that they have to be socially and culturally "a man" (i.e. strong insde and out, and not express their emotions when it is appropriate).

There are also lots of issues of inequity especially when it comes to divorce and which parents most often gets the child. Historically, most women are allowed more legal power than men. So, to masculinize for that isn't evil at all.

There are so many classes that are being persecuted that the term feminism is as ridiculous as "gayism" or "blackism".

That's true, I agree with that no one group should stand out in terms of being better and special than other groups that have been historically persecuted in the past. It's moronic.

You can't promote equal rights by sponsoring the idea that any one group is superior or should be treated differently than another.

Although, I don't think that is the message those special interest groups are trying to send. (i.e. Gay Pride Parade, or Lilith Fair). I don't think they are trying to send the message that they are superior, but probably they are more wanting to broadcast "awareness", and let people talk about that subjectin the comfort of their sofa with their friends. In that regard, I think it's great to do so; because you actually learn something new and get a dialogue going about what it is all about. If they give people the impression that they are better, then... they've slightly missed the mark but at least, they've got people's attention and awareness?

Feminism, the modern concept and word itself preaches female superiority.

Actually, there are degrees of feminism. I think most people ride in the soft-feminism than the hard-core feminism. To me, hard core feminism gives me shivers up my spine too, because I think they are too fanatical in their preachy of their ideology. It's equivalent to being preached too by some fanatical christian. On the other hand, I have no trouble in taking a stance when it comes to soft feminism at work, or any other cultural contexts.

"Don't tell me there is only black and white."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I completely agree Decius. I just wanted to explain the words original intent (since no one seems to know) and also point out how it has been bastardized.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 34yrs • F •
Eralynn is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Some feminists take the "women are better than men" standpoint, which is basically reverse prejudice: feminists like that are doing to men the very thing they don't want done to them. That tends to give all feminists a bad name. The idea behind feminism back when the equal rights movement began was that the sexes were equal. The feminist movement was important because it stressed the importance of fairness back when things were unfair. One could argue that things still aren't fair, but we've made enough progress that (in my opinion) feminism has no real place in society now that it is widely accepted that the sexes are indeed equal.

Whatever equal-rights activist group you're dealing with, there will always be different degrees of radicalness (for lack of a better word). i.e. the Black Panthers vs. Martin Luther King Jr. Just because the Black Panthers were a crazy radical group doesn't mean that the fight for equal rights of black people was wrong.

"The only good is knowledge; the only evil: ignorance."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Eralynn pretty much said it but I agree that feminism was a necessary evil in the fight for equality. I believe this is a taoist philosophy when I say "you must bend to achieve equilibrium." Merely showing that masculinism (a fitting title in my opinion) is wrong and that equality is right would not achieve the same degree of change as shedding light on the opposite end of the spectrum (feminism). One who is good at debate knows that it is necessary to immerse oneself in both stances of the argument. This increases understanding of the argument as well as helps the debator to anticipate his opponents moves.

"The truth will set you on fire"
Feminism
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy