Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Exsistential Angst

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Exsistential Angst
have any of you ever realized you own existence, for example in Charlie Brown,
"Linus: I'm aware of my tongue ... It's an awful feeling! Every now and then I become aware that I have a tongue inside my mouth, and then it starts to feel lumped up ... I can't help it ... I can't put it out of my mind. ... I keep thinking about where my tongue would be if I weren't thinking about it, and then I can feel it sort of pressing against my teeth ..."

Just like Jean-Paul Sartre's Nausea: "I think of no one any more. I don't even bother looking for words. It flows in me, more or less quickly. I fix nothing, i let it go. Through the lack of attaching myself to words, my thoughts remain nebulous most of the time. They sketch vague, pleasant shapes and then are swallowed up: I forget them almost immediately....

isn't it weird? It seems easier said then done. its like after viewing something for so long it looses its brilliance... maybe thats why its so great to be a kid and why everyone wants to be a kid again... i dunno its angst... could go more indept but then no one would read this... lol

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When I solve a puzzle I feel brilliant, but then the next day I feel nothing and the process will repeat...

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that neuterdbynature is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
one is more aware of themsleves as children. Everything is questioned, no stone is left unturned. Like spundges we take everything in, yet as we get older, our thoughts and goals become a head on approach. No side roads, no endless questions on what things are. We stop being aware, putting our imaginations on hold. Thinking that, the awareness of oneself is a childish concept, and one must do away with childish things at some point in their lives. Or so people believe.

I myself, am at times too aware of myself and what I'm doing or where I;m at. I take hours just sitting there, allowing myself to indulge in the concept of who I am or what I;ve done. My imagination runds a mock XD. But if I was not aware of myself, and did not question anything I'd probably go insane....

"What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general, but rather the specific meaning of a person's life at a given moment." --Victor Frankl....
One must try and be aware at specific moments and not overwhelm themselves with life all at once....

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think that children are more aware as much as they are less formed to fit the mold society has for them, so they will turn stones over because they don't know what they should or should not turn yet. As we got older, we become victims of habit, and thus notice more because we assume we know enough as it is.

Have you ever contemplated non-existence? What is it? That is something we can never understand.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Have you ever contemplated non-existence? What is it? That is something we can never understand.

Because it isn't real. You know that there must be SOME existence out there other wise you would have no thought what so ever.

Sure, you might not be you exactly, but something is something because the simple thought that there might not be something IS in-fact something. So something must exist. The only reason why you can not understand non-existence is because it simply isn't real.

And children are not more aware of themselves. At least I don't think so. Because they are less aware of everything. Ir ead in a book once that children are in-capable of abstract thinking. And that it only comes once a child is about 13 or 14. It could have been wrong, but I don't think so.

Children are trully ignorant and any time they find anything out, it is as if it is a true change in them. That when they figured something out, it was big. This is nto because the child is more aware, but because it has nothing to base itself on. You must admit, that when you first realized that you were a some what intelligent person, you thought you knew a lot. Not because you were full of yourself, but because according everything else in the world that you had experienced at that time did make what ever you found out appear to be a massive conclusion. This is the same with children. They seem to be more aware, because they believe that they are because when they find anything out they feel that it was big. So they follow suit with their feelings and portray something that does in fact seem aware, much like you, and I, did when we realized that we were capable of a true understanding... I think...

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 33yrs • M •
LunarMoon is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
quote:
The only reason why you can not understand non-existence is because it simply isn't real.

That's part of the truth as well as the fact that very definition of existence and reality is questionable. To quote the Matrix:

'This isn't real.'
'What is real? If real is merely what you can see, what you can taste, what you can touch, than real is simply electrical signals running through your brain.'

Existence and the lack there-of is one of those words or concepts that we often say without thinking about such as 'nature'. How do you define whether we exist or not? If we were to find that we are mere electrical signals within a computer or program, not existing as physical entities, our so called free will the result of mere logical actions caused by the processor, would you say that we exist?

quote:
And children are not more aware of themselves. At least I don't think so. Because they are less aware of everything. Ir ead in a book once that children are in-capable of abstract thinking. And that it only comes once a child is about 13 or 14. It could have been wrong, but I don't think so.

That's highly questionable. If this were true than children would have no ability to understand such abstract concepts as freedom, good, evil, beauty, the human spirit, and several other concepts of which one must understand at at least a basic level to operate in society. What's lacking is the ability to further question these concepts, a quality unfortunately shared not only by children but a large part of society. Observe a young child's reasoning of 'evil' or wrong' when referring to a politician.
'Why is he evil?'
'Because my mother said he is.'
'Why did your mother say he is?'
'Because he's evil.'
In short many of them lack the logical capabilities to reason through this. However, this is certainly not a form of thinking that's only seen in children. Though scientists once thought that advanced logical thought typically developed at adolescence, they have found that many adults never develop this skill. Observe a similar argument involving religion.
'Why is it evil?'
'Because the Bible says it is.'
'Why does the Bible say it is?'
'Because it's evil.'
What children do lack is the knowledge and habits of culture, taboos, customs, and human nature. In a book detailing the philosophical capabilities of young children, one boy brought up the Descartian question of whether we or anything for that matter exist; this of course requires a great amount of abstract thought.

quote:
Children are trully ignorant and any time they find anything out, it is as if it is a true change in them. That when they figured something out, it was big. This is nto because the child is more aware, but because it has nothing to base itself on. You must admit, that when you first realized that you were a some what intelligent person, you thought you knew a lot. Not because you were full of yourself, but because according everything else in the world that you had experienced at that time did make what ever you found out appear to be a massive conclusion. This is the same with children. They seem to be more aware, because they believe that they are because when they find anything out they feel that it was big. So they follow suit with their feelings and portray something that does in fact seem aware, much like you, and I, did when we realized that we were capable of a true understanding... I think...
That's human nature in general; it's certainly not exclusive to children. This is much like the argument of why evil exists in the world if there is some supreme entity such as God in existence. The simple explanation is that 'evil' only exists as a point of comparison of what we subjectively consider to be good. The very 'existence' of good insures the 'existence' of evil. Following from your knowledge example, we commonly believe ourselves to be an advanced culture; this is only in comparison to the past, what we already know of technology. Abstract concepts such as intelligence cannot be viewed through an objective lens.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think children are much more open minded and perhaps we think of children as ignorant because we don't remember what it was like to be a child. Or we see them as ignorant because they are doing everything for the first time.

But, back to the question of non-existence I once had this momment where I swear I saw everything as fake. Everything I saw appeared almost visualized like I could put my hand through it. So I literally tried it. I reached out and touched the object in front of me and it became reality and it really was there. Perhaps the world is fake but to be honest I would rather have a better fake than a real shitty one.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
Exsistential Angst
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy